Digital Camcorder to DVD

tony64

<font color=blue>Should've been a Cowboy<br><font
Hi
I know this is not strictly DIS but I am hoping someone out there has the answer.
I have just brought a Sony HC 22 Digital Camcorder and I was wondering if I get a DVD recorder if i would be able to input straight from the camcorder onto disc.
I know I can burn onto CD-r through my computer but I would prefer to watch my Disney memories around the tele with the rest of my family :grouphug:
Hope this is possible and any tips would be greatly received. :cool1:

TRV-22?

If so, then yes you can burn a DVD. Whether or not it is a one step process and it's quality level will depend on your connection method and your burner.

I know for a fact that unit can burn direct using a VAIO and Sony's "Click To DVD" software but you loose the digital aspect due to the limited connection methods available between the TRV22 (S-video or composite) and the PC. Are there any other connection methods available to that unit that you know of?

I'm also assuming you mean a PC's DVD burner and not a standalone outboard burner.

Thanks for the help
I was thinking of buying an I Link ( IEEE) cable and using a DVD recorder ( the type you use with your TV not PC if possible?)

The I-link is the way to go, but I don't know if the stand-alone DVD recorders have I-link inputs.

Is your computer by chance a Sony VAIO. Those computers are specifically designed for this type of process. (VAIO=Video-Audio-Input-Output). They have the I-link inputs. Remember the I-link is a Sony development so not all other equipment (computers/Stand-alone DVD recorders) will have that capability.

Does your computer have a DVD burner on it?

For less than a hundred bucks you can get some nice software to process everything. These will work on any computer whether you have I-link or not. Does your camera also have a USB output? That would be the next best to use if you can't use I-link. But again you go through your Computer, not direct to the DVD burner. These are the only two methods that I know of where you stay digital all the way. As WMCricket said, if you go through your video outputs you'll lose quality as the signal is converted by the camera from Digital to Video, and then the DVD burner converts the video back to digital.

I use Pinnacle's Studio 8 software (Current version is now 9). It's easy to input direct from the camcorder, edit what I want and don't want, add titles anywhere, put in transitions, and create a DVD menu system, and burn the DVD. The DVD will play on the regular DVD player for the TV, not just on the DVD player in the computer. You can even save the raw information and have the program burn more than one DVD, if you want to send a copy to some relatives. And the DVD menu system is nice so you can jump around on the DVD if you want. There are other software packages out there also. Ulead has a nice package.

I'm not saying there isn't some work involved, but you can get some first class video productions. It's easier if you let most of the stuff happen automatically. One caveat is that you need a lot of computer HD space, and the computer has to be fast since it has to process a lot of information in real time.

Keep in mind that not all Digital is the same format. Your DVD recorder in your computer and I think also in your stand-alone recorder record in Mpeg2 formats, while your commercial purchased movies are different. I don't know for sure what your camcorder is producing at. Does it record on digital tape, or on mini-disc?

If you've got a computer that can handle it, then get software and go that route, assuming you're willing to put in the time to 'produce' the movie. If you want a direct copy (which will definitely be less interesting to watch since all the flubs will still be there, or you're forced to watch a full 5-minutes of something you recorded where 30-seconds was really enough, etc) then just go with the direct hookup and hope for the best.

Don't purchase that I-link cable yet (about $40) until you know for sure that the other piece of equipment can use it.

Bill

All of this is equipment dependant.

Can you list specifically (model numbers) what equipment you have for us?

I would stick directly with the IEEE1394. I'm still not sold yet on USB and probably never will be, although it is getting better.

I have an older Digital 8 Sony camcorder and have directly captured my video via an IEEE1394 to my computer and then transferred it to a DVD off the computer. I think this setup would be preferable because then you could edit your clips online.

I have utilized the following software products with great success:

- Ulead Video Studio 8
- Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3
- Sonic DVD-It 5.2

You have to capture the video as MPEG2 for it to really shine as full-screen/widescreen DVD quality.

Thanks folks
I've got a Sony DCR HC22 which came with a cold shoe for easy connection to download to pc /tv etc.
My computer is a Fujitsu siemens which has 72 Gig and operates on XP i and a pentium 4 processer it has a DVD rom drive, a cd rw drive and usb ports
If you need any more info let me know.
I like the spound of installing a dvd burner is it difficult?
Should i take it to someone like PC World and get them to install one for me?
Do I need to get an Ilink port installed as well or how do I tell if my PC already has one?
Do I have to set the Camcorder onto Mpeg2 format or how does this work.
Sorry for all the questions but this is all very new to me
Thanks again

Just noticed your 'location'. Are you overseas in England? Isn't that the PAL system? We may be getting into some areas we may not be familiar with. I've only ever worked with NTSC system.

Does your computer already have video capture capability. If not then you would need to get a video capture card also. I know Pinnacle sells their Video Studio 9 both as just a software package, and also as a software package with a video capture card for those who need one.

I don't know if the cards would have i-link or not.

We can try to help you here, but you might be better off going to your local computer store and speaking with them.

I'm guessing you would need the following as a minimum:
  • Video Capture card
  • Video Editing Software
  • DVD burner
If you have a CD player/burner already, you can just replace that with a DVD burner. It will still play and record CD for you, as well as DVD's. That way you dont' need to use up another bay.

You might also consider a 2nd hard drive. Video editing works best if the video capture process takes place on a different HD than the operating system and the editing software. This is because capturing video is 'live', and if your hard drive has to switch over to some system requirements while it is capturing, then you might lose a few frames of capture.

Installing the DVD or another HD is not difficult if you can follow the directions and are a hands-on type of person. Physically mounting them is simple. Mainly you have to get the Master/Slave switches properly set, get the data cables plugged into their correct hardware (Master/Slave), and installing the drivers for the devices.

Hope this helps

Yes thankyou I will have a word with my local PC shop and get them to install all I need and set it up for me then I can't blow it up :rotfl2:

I'll let you know how I get on

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter