• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Different Use Year Add On?

I’m only 1 year into owning DVC. Is it very confusing to have different UY’s at the same resort? I’m really struggling with what to do. Currently have 175 points with Feb UY at VGF. Thinking about taking advantage of the Add-on incentives with magical beginnings.

DH and I will go to WDW in May 2024 for our anniversary, needing 74 points. We plan to go to Aulani next year for maybe 5 nights in Sept or Oct. and will need a 2 bedroom for 8 of us in all. Thinking island garden view. So we will need 245 points. This may be a one time only trip or may not be so I don’t want to factor my whole decision into this specific Aulani trip.

Which would be best? I hope I make sense with my question. This is all new and complicated to me. My options for adding on is to keep the Feb UY that I have now for simplicity of only having 1 UY and 1 membership number and sell the 2023 points back. So in feb 2024 I’d have 325 points. Or I can choose an Aug use year for the add on contract and sell back the 2022 points. Then in Aug 2023 I’d have 150 points, which I might have to bank and then we could use them along with the Aug 2024 points for Aulani. But then I’d be dealing with 2 UY’s and 2 membership numbers, which might be okay since for our future trips, we plan on going in May and sometime in the fall/early winter. And that could work well with a Feb and an Aug UY. I’m just not sure how complicated and hard it is to keep up with having to transfer points between contracts. I just don’t want to make the wrong decision since there’s no going back once I do this. Then also, what if on the second contract I add my grown son on there so he can be a blue card member or does that complicate things further? Only DH and I are on our current contract. What’s my best move here

I’m only 1 year into owning DVC. Is it very confusing to have different UY’s at the same resort? I’m really struggling with what to do. Currently have 175 points with Feb UY at VGF. Thinking about taking advantage of the Add-on incentives with magical beginnings.

DH and I will go to WDW in May 2024 for our anniversary, needing 74 points. We plan to go to Aulani next year for maybe 5 nights in Sept or Oct. and will need a 2 bedroom for 8 of us in all. Thinking island garden view. So we will need 245 points. This may be a one time only trip or may not be so I don’t want to factor my whole decision into this specific Aulani trip.

Which would be best? I hope I make sense with my question. This is all new and complicated to me. My options for adding on is to keep the Feb UY that I have now for simplicity of only having 1 UY and 1 membership number and sell the 2023 points back. So in feb 2024 I’d have 325 points. Or I can choose an Aug use year for the add on contract and sell back the 2022 points. Then in Aug 2023 I’d have 150 points, which I might have to bank and then we could use them along with the Aug 2024 points for Aulani. But then I’d be dealing with 2 UY’s and 2 membership numbers, which might be okay since for our future trips, we plan on going in May and sometime in the fall/early winter. And that could work well with a Feb and an Aug UY. I’m just not sure how complicated and hard it is to keep up with having to transfer points between contracts. I just don’t want to make the wrong decision since there’s no going back once I do this. Then also, what if on the second contract I add my grown son on there so he can be a blue card member or does that complicate things further? Only DH and I are on our current contract. What’s my best move here?
Have only one use year and keep the owners on the title the same as your current contracts. This will help keep your DVC life easier.

Have only one use year and keep the owners on the title the same as your current contracts. This will help keep your DVC life easier.
It would for sure be easier, but my grown son wants to have his own blue card so we are going to split the cost on our second contract, so he will need to named on there.

My decision to buy a different UY was strictly from a savings perspective. If the savings were minimal between new UY and my first, I would have went with the same for convenience. That said, I also use mine separately for the most part, and pretty much never transfer. I link and ask to stay in the same room. So far it’s worked out. I don’t find it complicated keeping the separate UY straight, but am almost always borrowing, so rarely trying to make sure I bank in my window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter