Did you get shingles or other side effects from getting the shingle vaccine?

Anyone who has ever had shingles will tell you that you should get the vaccine. I, myself, have not gotten it but probably will. Most of my friends who have gotten it have all had side effects from it. Notably with the second dose. Instense chills, aches, and a fever for about 24 hours. These are people who generally don't get side effects from anything. So, yeah, that bums me out. I have talked to one or two random people who did not get that side effect.

With both shingle shots I had flu like symptoms the following day.
Just make sure you don’t have something important to do the day after your shots.

The only issues I had, was soreness at the needle site. I had the 2 dose vaccine and both times it was painful for a couple days.
My husband had the one shot dose, zero side effects.

I had a relatively mild case of shingles two years ago. Even though not severe, it was still a hassle.

I got the vaccine last year. I don't think I had any soreness. If I did, it was maybe just for an hour.

I had a sore arm for 48 hours post each shot. I also felt very "fluey"(is that a word?) with body aches and headache that lasted 24 hours each time. No big deal though. :)

I got it before I was old enough to have insurance pay for it. Just don't want to deal with that, so it was worth the $225. My wife, is waiting until insurance pays, which will be in a few months when she turns 62. Now they say everyone over 50 should have it. And my wife didn't have chicken pox as a child, she got them from our kids. She was off work for a week, and it took two months to recover fully. I had no side effects.

I got shingles of the optic nerve last September. The pain was staggering for 5 weeks. It traveled down my face and went into my teeth. I now have post shingles nerve pain 24/7. This is the worst thing I've ever dealt with. I did get the vaccines earlier this summer. Flu like symptoms for 24 hrs. Praying I never get an active case of shingles ever again.

I got the Shingrix vaccine last year and had flu like symptoms after the first shot for 24 hours, but not the second. I don’t usually get any reaction to vaccines, so was surprised. Strangely after the second shot I developed an itchy rash on my left shoulder/back. My doctor diagnosed it as a mild case of shingles, said it was not caused by the vaccine, and treated it. It still flares up occasionally a year later, but it’s mostly gone. However absolutely no pain with the rash. After hearing how having painful shingles affected a friend, these symptoms were worth it.

Both my mother and DH's mother had shingles, so DH and I both decided to get the shot (after hearing the stories from our Mothers!). Neither of us had any side effects.

My mother had a very bad case about 20 years ago.

I started getting the vaccines about 5 years ago. No side effects.

With both shingle shots I had flu like symptoms the following day.
Just make sure you don’t have something important to do the day after your shots.
Quick question, if you don't mind - does OHIP cover that for you? Alberta Heath Care doesn't and my private insurance has also declined the new vaccine. It's over $500 for the two doses which I'm choking on but will likely go ahead because contracting shingles is an irrational fear of mine. :blush:

Quick question, if you don't mind - does OHIP cover that for you? Alberta Heath Care doesn't and my private insurance has also declined the new vaccine. It's over $500 for the two doses which I'm choking on but will likely go ahead because contracting shingles is an irrational fear of mine. :blush:
Mine was covered through mine and my husband’s work benefits after I turned 50. OHIP will cover you after age 65.

Mine was covered through mine and my husband’s work benefits after I turned 50. OHIP will cover you after age 65.
Thanks. I'm not sure how Alberta Heath handles it for seniors and it will (blessedly) be a while before I find out. I'm just at the age now where my doctor is even willing to prescribe it, which he did and I got excited - until my pharmacy gave me the news about payment. :(

After the first dose I didn’t feel well for days. Second dose I felt horrible but only for a day. I wouldn’t consider not getting it. Heard too many shingles horror stories. I’m still trying to get DH to get it.

DH had every common symptom including a fever of 101.5 degrees. The pain and fever started within a couple of hours. I only had a sore arm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter