Did you ever notice who's bidding up the auctions for meal vouchers on ebay?

If you win an auction and that person has a note on there auction to ask about purchasing other tickets is it ok to make direct arrangements with the seller to purchase more?

If they said you can check their other auctions about more vouchers, then it's ok to go to their other auctions, or ask them if they will put more up. If they are trying to sell you on their auction, into getting in touch with them about buying more off of eBay, then it's called fee avoidance..trying to sell something using their auction, but not paying eBay fees. If the person sends you an end of auction note when the auction ends, and you have purchased, and in that note says something like. "we have more of this item, let us know if you would like more", that is within the ebay rules (they don't like it, but they won't suspend you for that). But they aren't suppose to advertise on their auction page that they have more to sell you off ebay.

If someone writes to me and asks if I have more, then I will sell to them off ebay, after giving them my email addy and telling them they are welcome to email me directly. After all ebay doesn't own the items I haven't put up on ebay. Technically though, I would prefer they go to my about me page and find my website and email me through my website, since ebay email is suppose to be about buying through ebay...although ebay cannot enforce that.

Originally posted by Kellydelly
There is a difference between selling a few extra vouchers from your trip and buying them specifically to sell them on ebay and make a profit! You have to admit that there probably are individuals out there doing so and possibly shilling their auctions to get the most profit out of them! If you got a nice profit from people who had no idea what the purchase price of the vouchers is, then good for you! No need to get defensive :( ! I didn't mean this to start an argument or to accuse anyone here of shilling their auctions. I just made an observation about some of the auctions I was watching. Maybe I'm right, and maybe I'm wrong :duck: !

Why do you care what others sell on ebay and what bidders are willing to pay for it? Are you mad because you keep getting outbid or something? I just don't understand it. I repeatedly see people whining and moaning about how much things go for and start throwing out accusatory remarks about people bidding on their own items (like with the MNSSHP tickets). If people are willing to pay that much for an item, what skin is it off YOUR back?

After all this discussion I generated I really don't mind that I can't get the vouchers for an even better deal than on hotwire (none of the auctions I've bid on or looked at ended for any less than the actual voucher price). I know where to get them for a good deal, so lucky me :Pinkbounc ! I hope lots of people who are looking to get vouchers come across sites like this one and learn where to get them. And I'm also glad that Canadians are getting the vouchers they need off ebay, or from fellow disneygoers. I'm really happy that everyone's getting what they want or need one way or another ::yes:: ! It is no skin off my back whatsoever, trust me!

I am glad you posted Kellydelly as I learned alot from the post.

DMRICK - Thanks for info!

Hope everybody had fun trick or treating! My two princesses homemade dresses held up quite well! One was Belle and one was Sleeping Beauty! Lots of fun!

I never heard of the schill bidding before...thanks for mentioning that.

there was one time I posted an item on e-bay--tried to be "smart" and go low on the start price--but alas did not know my business sense. I got 1 bid and it was costing me money to sell it. My husband opened an e-bay account and in the last seconds of the auction bought the item from me. This was about 3 or 4 years ago--I tried selling something at the suggestion of a friend--they had done well with it before. Lesson learned. I have only sold one other item on e-bay and made sure that I set it up so that I wouldn't lose money.

However--if what you describe is occuring, then that is totally different.

However--if what you describe is occuring, then that is totally different.

Actually it isn't entirely different. By having your husband bid on your item, that was shill bidding. Punishable by suspension on eBay..even if you don't bid on your own item, but have someone bid.

You would have been better off, to just close the auction. You would still have to pay the listing fees, but by having your husband bid, you also had to pay the ending fees, and break the rules.

Most ebayers agree, that it's best to put the item up at the least you'll be happy with. I personally passed up another auction, because I had already bid on something, and apparently the person didn't like my bid (I wrote them and they said my bid wasn't high enough), so they closed their auction before it ended. I missed out on the other auction because of their foolishness, and posted their name on a list being keep on a board I'm on, of people better to not do business with. By starting an item low (I assume to attract attention or save on fees) and then be upset because it doesn't sell for more, is unfair to people bidding IMO. You start it low, you should be prepared to take your chances.

Well it was 3-4 years ago and I'm not going to lose sleep on it.

I haven't done it again. Now that I know it is in their policy to explicitly not do this, I wont' repeat it.

I don't recall having to pay anything but the initial listing fees--and he never paid for the item and e-bay has never contacted me about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter