• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did the Disney Savings account get any better?

ThisIsTheYear

DIS Veteran
I know over the past few years lots of people have been having problems with it. Has it gotten any better?

I've had an account since they started it and have never had any issues with it. I am using it to pay for a third trip since opening it and have had no problems.

I've opened one in January to pay off a November trip. I've had no issues. I even had a refund back into the account with no issues.

I too have had the account open for almost 2 years now. I have not had any issues. Used it recently to purchase and AP and the transaction was very smooth.

If you have a disney visa if you use it to add $$ to the savings account it will give you the 1 or 2% back so a small added savings. It only works this way if you do pay off your CC so there are no finance charge.

I've had minor hiccups with my account in the last 3 years or so. One being that I wasn't able to access it for an extended amount of time but fortunately I didn't NEED it at the moment. But there were many people that weren't able to access it for weeks I believe. The second somewhat worked in my favor. I had requested my bonuses after paying off some trips and received them in a fairly timely manner. All in all in 3 trips I had spent anywhere from $15,000-$18,000 and received all of my bonus gift cards($300-$360 in Bonus Gift Cards?). About 2 weeks before my Alaskan Cruise last August I received an email stating my $220 Bonus Gift Card was on it's way :rolleyes2 Surely this was a mistake. However, a couple days after I returned from my trip, there was a $220 Disney Gift Card sent to me! We were DLR Annual Pass Holders so we made great use out of that money. However, after I had paid $2,000+ on my next cruise and requested my Bonus, I never received it. Since I should have never received the $220 one, I didn't make a fuss out of the $40 they owed me :rolleyes1

Keep in mind that the DVA has yet to be extended past the end of this year (12/31/2017). If you make payments AFTER that date, you will not qualify for the bonus gift card. And in that case I would suggest storing your money in a savings account that can make you money rather than an account that won't make you anything and has had some issues in the past. Just my 2 cents.

I've also had minor issues which most people just aren't going to notice. What happens is their system goes down- so if you happen to need to use it right then, you have a problem. Otherwise you wouldn't care.
It went down for a couple weeks last year right before my payment was due. It was their whole system, so the people above were effected but probably just didn't even know. Their website wasn't showing my account and I found out later was not allowing any logins. They had their phone line disconnected for most of a week during that time. That was scary. It came back just in time for me, but if I had found out their system was down while making the payment that could have been terrible! That did happen to people.

We had terrible issues. When they did some sort of big switchover in their systems we got locked out. It turns out this account got linked to some other very old Disney account in the family, but we couldn't access that either (an address we haven't lived at in a decade and an email address we got rid of ages ago). Phone call after phone call, month after month and still they couldn't fix it. They'd get closer to seeing the problem, but still couldn't fix it. Typical Disney IT. They were pleasant but helpless.

As a result, we were AT Disney and still couldn't get our money!! (Mind you we started trying to get our money months before the trip so we'd get the gift cards in time.) Eventually we got a cell call while at Hollywood Studios and they figured out if we went to Guest Services in the park they could set up a three-way phone call and get Guest Services to issue our money out on a gift card. We never got any bonuses at all, but by that point I was just happy to have our money back. After all that headache we should have gotten the bonuses several times over but nothing was offered and we just wanted to get on with our vacation.

This was about a year and a half ago, I think. Needless to say we haven't used the account since.

Try to login to Vacation Savings Account now and I get this message:

Please return to this site at a later time. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Please return to this site at a later time. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Well that's wonderful as I'm sure many people will be putting a deposit down on their cruises within the next 2 days with fall 2018 bookings just opening up :sad2:

The whole page is down... Luckily my whole trip payment was due LAST week! Lets hope my gift card of remaining balance gets here in the next month in spite of their inevitable delays. This seems like the same time of year they keep going down.

The whole page is down... Luckily my whole trip payment was due LAST week! Lets hope my gift card of remaining balance gets here in the next month in spite of their inevitable delays. This seems like the same time of year they keep going down.

You can still use your account even if the site is down. I just booked a room only reservation with it a few minutes ago.

It's a good idea to request your account number in advance so you have when you need it. As the PP said, you'll be able to use your account even if the site is down.

It's a good idea to request your account number in advance so you have when you need it. As the PP said, you'll be able to use your account even if the site is down.
Depends on what you are doing and what they are down for. Last year payments were also not working.

We're looking at starting this very soon for our next Disney vacation. If we set up automated payments, what does that transaction show up as on my bank statement? Also, can I take Disney gift cards and deposit those as cash into the DVA?

I haven't been able to sign into my account all morning. I can't even get the log in page to load. I wonder if it's still down?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter