Did I really break my PB on the Disney Magic?

Twinkbelle

Mouseketeer
Last week I was fortunate enough to be sailing on the Disney Magic on one of the UK Staycation Cruises from Newcastle.

I woke up early and headed down to deck 4 and went for a run to start my first sea day. I followed the directions on the wall on which way to go and made a start on a 5K run.

As I started running, I thought this is a nice flat even floor which is very easy to run on (I ususally run through my local park, old uneven tarmac) and I felt like I could go a little bit faster than normal. So I did, I broke my PB for a KM on the first one, with 5'43. (previous PB 6'22) Then thought if I can keep this up then maybe I can break my PB for a whole 5K!

So I tried my best to keep going and I was making a great pace until about 4K in when I got stuck behind some cm's who came out a side door and walked slowly and there was no space there to overtake them. I asked nicely but I don't think they heard me so I had to walk them until the deck got wider furhter around, that one came in at 6'53.

I thought I need to make it up, I went as fast as I could for the 5th one, and I came in 4'55!

I definately felt like I was in a good space physically and mentally, and there was no distractions, usually I have to watch out for other runners, families with small children on bikes, cross over public roads etc. All that slows you down. Other than those cms the magic was literally plain sailing!

It was only later I wondered, what if it didn't track right because of being at sea and my phone being in airplane mode causing it to think i'd moved faster than I actually did? I am questioning my achievement. Even if I didn't actually break my PB I still feel like it was the best run I've ever had. It just felt like everything lined up in a way it never has for me before.

Was the ship sailing? When I ran on the magic a few years ago, my pace was augmented by the boat speed and it appeared on my Garmin that I was going much faster than I was.

but it sounds like you had a great run, regardless of whether you got a ship boost or not!

Focus on that.

Unless you know the distance around that deck, I wouldn't trust my gps watch or phone when on a moving ship on the ocean.

You're so right :) I'm just going to be content in knowing in myself it was a great run. Regardless of what the tech says. I was wearing my Apple Watch as well as having my phone with me in airplane mode.

Was the ship sailing? When I ran on the magic a few years ago, my pace was augmented by the boat speed and it appeared on my Garmin that I was going much faster than I was.

but it sounds like you had a great run, regardless of whether you got a ship boost or not!

It was sailing, it was going at a slow pace but it was certainly moving at the time. I did have a great run - I think part of it was just being soo happy to finally be away from reality for a few days after such an awful 18 months or so with everything that has gone on.

I
Last week I was fortunate enough to be sailing on the Disney Magic on one of the UK Staycation Cruises from Newcastle.

I woke up early and headed down to deck 4 and went for a run to start my first sea day. I followed the directions on the wall on which way to go and made a start on a 5K run.

As I started running, I thought this is a nice flat even floor which is very easy to run on (I ususally run through my local park, old uneven tarmac) and I felt like I could go a little bit faster than normal. So I did, I broke my PB for a KM on the first one, with 5'43. (previous PB 6'22) Then thought if I can keep this up then maybe I can break my PB for a whole 5K!

So I tried my best to keep going and I was making a great pace until about 4K in when I got stuck behind some cm's who came out a side door and walked slowly and there was no space there to overtake them. I asked nicely but I don't think they heard me so I had to walk them until the deck got wider furhter around, that one came in at 6'53.

I thought I need to make it up, I went as fast as I could for the 5th one, and I came in 4'55!

I definately felt like I was in a good space physically and mentally, and there was no distractions, usually I have to watch out for other runners, families with small children on bikes, cross over public roads etc. All that slows you down. Other than those cms the magic was literally plain sailing!

It was only later I wondered, what if it didn't track right because of being at sea and my phone being in airplane mode causing it to think i'd moved faster than I actually did? I am questioning my achievement. Even if I didn't actually break my PB I still feel like it was the best run I've ever had. It just felt like everything lined up in a way it never has for me before.
I’ve just returned from a Disney Staycation cruise and also had a much faster pace than usual. I was thinking that the forward motion of the ship may make it appear faster for one half of the lap but then going towards the aft would make it look slower. I thought it might even it out a bit but despite, like you, feeling my pace was good and the running conditions great (I ran early so no one in my way), I think it is too fast. Coincidentally, my previous PB was at Castaway Cay so maybe it’s just Disney magic that helped us run faster 🧚🏼💫

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter