DHS bus drop off 20 min walk!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't you a teen? You can move much faster than middle aged people or someone who has mobility challanges.
I’m not a teen currently but was recently.

The article said a fast experienced runner took 20 minutes to make the walk. In my experience as an experienced runner one should be able to do it in less than that. That is what I was referring too.

I would be curious to know how this distance compares to the other three parks and DS. The Pop stop at MK always seems like a hike, as does Epcot and DS, but I don’t know how far they are in actual distance.
I did an estimate of the AK and Epcot bus stops earlier in this thread. Epcot is similar to DHS currently but is a bit shorter. The DHS wall for Disney resorts will shorten a little bit when the resort side of the loop opens.

So, for those who have a car at Disney, would it be smarter to drive and then take a tram? Would there be less walking from the tram drop-off?

We were at the CBR yesterday, which is bus stop 3 (1 being the furthest away from DH).

Maps doesn't show the experience of walking to the bus station well. While it certainly isn't a 20 walk for an experienced runner, I would say it can take close to ten minutes to walk to the DH entrance for the average person.

Keep in mind that the walkway isn't very large, and has a few turns. It's squeezed between the parking lot, and construction work on the other side (could it be the new bus station they're building there? it certainly looks like it).

The walk isn't pleasurable, and Disney knows it well: we counted 3 cast members along the walkway, not counting the CM at the entrance of the bus station. Hopefully they were smiling and waving at every guests.

DW told me that, hadn't we booked the YC, that provides boat transportation right in front of the park, she would probably have suggested that we cancel our other days of FPs at DHS.

We were there today, and while I won’t try to guess how long the walk was or how long it “should” take someone to walk it....it was long and hot!!! We are all pretty good walkers with pretty good stamina, but that walk to a very sunny bus stop was not pleasant.

The one thing we wished we knew before we did the walk followed by the wait for the bus (which was awful) is that the Uber/Lyft pickup area is nowhere near the bus stops. If we had decided to bail and do that, we would have had to walk all the way back and across to get to the pickup zone.

We aren’t returning to the Studios this trip, but if we were, we would definitely just Uber or Lyft and skip the bus thing completely. Not worth it in this heat.

We were there today, and while I won’t try to guess how long the walk was or how long it “should” take someone to walk it....it was long and hot!!! We are all pretty good walkers with pretty good stamina, but that walk to a very sunny bus stop was not pleasant.

The one thing we wished we knew before we did the walk followed by the wait for the bus (which was awful) is that the Uber/Lyft pickup area is nowhere near the bus stops. If we had decided to bail and do that, we would have had to walk all the way back and across to get to the pickup zone.

We aren’t returning to the Studios this trip, but if we were, we would definitely just Uber or Lyft and skip the bus thing completely. Not worth it in this heat.
Thanks for your thoughts/experience, so it sounds like the drop off for uber/lyft is a good amount closer to the entrance...we may end up doing that. I hate paying for extra stuff that's supposedly included because it's not reasonable, but unfortunately with some of the ages of our party and going end of Aug./beginning of Sept., we may just suck it up and pay...argh aggravating.

I would understand and relate the distance better if I had actual facts and concrete evidence more than opinions and estimations. 20 mins for a half mile would be a very, very slow walk indeed.
Unfortunately that is not happening unless we get someone out there to track the walk on a GPS device/app and even that is an estimation as everyone walks at a different pace.

We were there this past Friday. We haven't taken the buses in probably 10 years, but decided to this trip. I guess I don't remember at all what the previous bus area was like ... I didn't know it was changing, so didn't really pay much attention! I'm pretty sure there's still a few bus stops right at the entrance, because we were dropped off right there by the entrance and didn't have far to walk at all. We stayed for EMH, so didn't end up leaving the park until after 12:30 am. Like I said, I didn't really pay close attention - but I don't remember the walk being extremely long. We were tired! And I don't remember thinking it was extra long, or much longer than other walks.

My BFF insisted on a car for this trip and now I’m glad he did so. I refused to be tired before I even get to the park. Yes, I’ll glad take 30K steps inside a park but having to walk a long distance to get to the park entrance seems like a problem guests staying at a Disney resort shouldn’t have to worry about. Isn’t that one of the perks? Door to door transportation? Since it’s the last time we won’t have to pay to overnight park our car at a Disney resort, we’ll take full advantage of that and don’t get to the front gates tired!

The lack of shade in the heat I can understand as a problem. I just don't see how this walk is long. In May I remember walking to the park-to-park buses which are just a little bit closer right next to the new loop and thinking that the new loop(s) weren't far at all. And as shown, the distance is pretty similar to the other parks bus areas.

Does anyone have a map showing where the new bus stop is and where Minnie vans drop off?

I have to admit, Disney is brilliant. OBVIOUSLY this is training for Toy Story Land. We've all heard the reports that Toy Story Land has almost no shade. They want to make sure you don't pass out in the park, so you have to be able to stand the distance and the heat before you even get there - just to make sure you are able to survive inside the parks.

Pure Genius.

Thanks for your thoughts/experience, so it sounds like the drop off for uber/lyft is a good amount closer to the entrance...we may end up doing that. I hate paying for extra stuff that's supposedly included because it's not reasonable, but unfortunately with some of the ages of our party and going end of Aug./beginning of Sept., we may just suck it up and pay...argh aggravating.

Oh I completely agree about having to pay for rides when transportataion is included. Luckily fir us it was an $8 cost so it was well worth it! And yes, the Uber/Lyft area was much closer to the entrance of the Park.

So, for those who have a car at Disney, would it be smarter to drive and then take a tram? Would there be less walking from the tram drop-off?

I probably would if I were going there in the morning and leaving at our usual time to rest (12:30 or 1). No way would I stand out there in direct sunlight waiting that long for a bus. The trams seem to come by pretty quickly and if you get to the park early enough, your car may well be closer than the furthest bus stop.

So my sister is there this week and I read her this thread last night as I knew she was going to DHS today. I asked her to "map her run" this morning from her bus stop to the entrance. They were at bus stop 1. She went ahead of her family and walked at a brisk pace while her DH and 2 DD's (11 and 9) walked at their normal pace. She said the total distance was .434 mile and it took her 7 mins- briskly- and she was sweating by the time she got there! She waited for her fam and they arrived 6 mins later..so a total of 13 mins. Her DH did say one DD dropped her autograph book and had to pick it up and the other stopped to tie her shoe...so both of those may have added a min or two onto the total time.

All in all she said it wasn't too bad...neither of the girls complained. She will report back to me today at 3pm when they leave and give me update. I think going back will be worse as they have to wait for the bus in the sun.

We were there this past Friday. We haven't taken the buses in probably 10 years, but decided to this trip. I guess I don't remember at all what the previous bus area was like ... I didn't know it was changing, so didn't really pay much attention! I'm pretty sure there's still a few bus stops right at the entrance, because we were dropped off right there by the entrance and didn't have far to walk at all. We stayed for EMH, so didn't end up leaving the park until after 12:30 am. Like I said, I didn't really pay close attention - but I don't remember the walk being extremely long. We were tired! And I don't remember thinking it was extra long, or much longer than other walks.
Looks like the new stops just started this past Tuesday, so on Friday you were still using the older ones.

Does anyone have a map showing where the new bus stop is and where Minnie vans drop off?
1EAA9AA3-60FF-4452-BC78-A2D718D2DB2D.jpg

Blue is the loop currently in use. Red is the new resort loop still under construction. Green is the old charter bus area now closed. Park entrance is not picture but towards the upper right. The yellow line is the new path from the Epcot resorts.

So my sister is there this week and I read her this thread last night as I knew she was going to DHS today. I asked her to "map her run" this morning from her bus stop to the entrance. They were at bus stop 1. She went ahead of her family and walked at a brisk pace while her DH and 2 DD's (11 and 9) walked at their normal pace. She said the total distance was .434 mile and it took her 7 mins- briskly- and she was sweating by the time she got there! She waited for her fam and they arrived 6 mins later..so a total of 13 mins. Her DH did say one DD dropped her autograph book and had to pick it up and the other stopped to tie her shoe...so both of those may have added a min or two onto the total time.

All in all she said it wasn't too bad...neither of the girls complained. She will report back to me today at 3pm when they leave and give me update. I think going back will be worse as they have to wait for the bus in the sun.

Thank you for asking her to do that...first hand knowledge/experience is really helpful.

Has anyone mapped out the distance to/from other bus stops/parks. I know ppl. have said it doesn't "look" much farther than say the entrance of Epcot to the bus stops, which we do all the time, but I'm just trying to figure out what the actual difference is in distance. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter