DH wants me to cut budget by $1500??!!

Wait. Are you paying $700 for the 3 of you to go to Universal for one day? That's insanity, or else I'm missing something?

If you must do HP this trip, pick one of the two parks and save yourself $400.

That would only be IF we got the express passes too (which are $210), so without those it would be $436

you can usually go into MK @ 4 pm for the party. I would spend more days @ Univ and only do the party @ MK. You can always buy a 1 day WDw ticket if you really feel you need another day there. With more days @ Unv/IOA, you won't need the Express pass. I would do 1 or 2 special meals and counter service or eat at your villa. If you replace WDW tickets with longer Univ tickets with no Express passes and take away a few dinnners, that's $1000. For a fun WDW fix without the parks, we do dinner @ Chef Mickeys @ Contemp hotel, breakfast at Grand Floridian, or Ohana's for breakfast or dinner.

offsite house, and we've already made a deposit on that so we can't change that

Oo. Ok. I just had the idea that it might be cheaper to cut a day off your villa or room and stay at one of the Universal hotels that give you express passes for the night before you go to Universal - the price difference may not be as much as you would be saving buying the express passes.

Oo. Ok. I just had the idea that it might be cheaper to cut a day off your villa or room and stay at one of the Universal hotels that give you express passes for the night before you go to Universal - the price difference may not be as much as you would be saving buying the express passes.

I had checked into the Universal hotels some time ago and they were all booked for the day we are planning there (it's a Saturday) anyway :(

We are huge HP fans, and on our last two trips we went to IOA for one day. Heading back in three weeks and it's killing me not to check out the new stuff, but I'm just too cheap to spend the money. Is there any way you could be happy with just one US park this trip?

It sounds like you really don't want to change the trip you have planned. If this is the trip you can truly afford, maybe it would be easier to cut $1500 after the vacation (birthdays,anniversary, Christmas). DH may stress less if he knows you are going to save some money after your trip. If you have overspent, which is easy to do...you might have to make some sacrifices.

The only thing I can come up with that has not already been suggested is see if you can find a friend or family member to drive you to the airport and pick you up. That would save $81.

As PP suggested find some discount Disney Gift Cards to purchase your food with. Not sure if Target is still allowing the 5% with the Red Card but that would be a great way to save a little on your budget.

One thing I don't see in your budget is souvenirs. With a 7 yo I would say you would definitely want to allow some money for that, unless of course he has his own money for that.

OP, the way you have structured your trip with a few days in each place makes it expensive - it would be cheaper to spend the whole trip at Disney or Universal. Tickets for MNSSHP are not cheap either, but if you have purchased them already, then that part is done. The PP is right that you can enter MK at 4 pm on the party day - you should get a lot done that day.

I would cancel the beach and spend several days at Universal. If you stay onsite anywhere but Cabana Bay (and there is availability if you look for more than one night), express passes are included (Sapphire Falls also won't have express, but it won't be open by October). Cabana Bay is about the same cost as your beach hotel and gives you early entry but no express pass - if you stay for a few days, you could drop the express passes (although tickets would be more for more days). AAA usually has good rates for the Universal hotels, but you have to call to get the rates - they don't appear online.

I would drop some of the Disney TS meals - you don't have that much time there. T Rex and Rainforest Café are pretty similar, and going to Downtown Disney will eat up a bunch of time. I would also cut back on the breakfast ADRs and eat breakfast in the villa - do you have a kitchen?

You can make a dent in the budget, but I don't see you saving $1500 unless you are willing to restructure it completely.

I guess in hine sight the trip should have been shorter. Once you have purchased plane tickets, theme park tickets ...kind of hard to change plans. I suppose you can eat cheaper.

Nothing wrong with Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches now and then. The way prices are at the parks you save more than you think.

It sounds like you really don't want to change the trip you have planned. If this is the trip you can truly afford, maybe it would be easier to cut $1500 after the vacation (birthdays,anniversary, Christmas). DH may stress less if he knows you are going to save some money after your trip. If you have overspent, which is easy to do...you might have to make some sacrifices.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Cut the $$ at home. It doesn't sound like there is anything you can cut (or are willing to cut.) Deposits have already been made on expensive options and if you can't change your rental house, have already purchased expensive options that are non-refundable, or have your heart set on something, you really can't change it.

Thanks everyone for the input! I have talked to DH about ways that we can save. He agrees with what a lot of you say about giving up comfort, etc when cutting too much. I think we are pretty likely to cut out one of the MK days which will save $235 plus parking and restaurant cost. He does not want to go without the express passes. I think after I talked to him about specifics, he realizes that it is what it is :) Thanks so much for all the ideas! I am going to look into the discounted GCs!

The only thing I can come up with that has not already been suggested is see if you can find a friend or family member to drive you to the airport and pick you up. That would save $81.

As PP suggested find some discount Disney Gift Cards to purchase your food with. Not sure if Target is still allowing the 5% with the Red Card but that would be a great way to save a little on your budget.

One thing I don't see in your budget is souvenirs. With a 7 yo I would say you would definitely want to allow some money for that, unless of course he has his own money for that.

Yes, our DS has his own money for souvenirs and for the Pirates League!

Exactly what I thought. She doesn't want to cut or change anything and have people tell her it can't be done so she can tell hubby, 'see, we can't possibly save any money!'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts