DH and DD going early-will this work out?

VernRDH

Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mi
We are headed to CSR from 9/12-16. Our original plan was to take a 7pm flight and arrive in MCO @ 10pm. Then we had to get the car, make a grocery stop and FINALLY get to CSR. DH came up with the idea that he and DD could go to Orlando on a 7:40am flight, getting to MCO at 10:30am, get the car, do the grocery stop, check in etc. They could relax and swim for the afternoon. I would work that day until 4:30, take the 7pm flight and arrive at 10. I could take ME to CSR and DH would not have to wake up DD to get me. We have never used ME and I don't know how long it would take at that time of night to get to the resort. We checked with CSR and they said I would just have to check in when I arrived (no problem).

Does this sound crazy or feasible? I cannot take the day off work, so all of us going early is not possible. DH felt that this way DD would be able to rest up before our 4 whirlwind days in the parks. We would not have to worry about a grocery stop late at night or late checkin. And how does ME work? I would be carrying my bag, just a small overnight, since we are only staying 4 nights.

Opinions welcome, thanks!

I think it sounds like a good plan though I have never used ME everyone else seems to think it works great! I really like the idea for your DD to be able to rest up. That is a huge deal!

We are having to do something similar this year...DS and myself will be driving down the day before and staying off-site, DH and DD will fly down the next morning...DH is the band announcer for the GaTech marching band and the game doesn't start until 8pm. I couldn't stand waiting an extra day and DD is getting to take her first plane trip.

I have used ME 4x - three with just myself and my dd's and once solo and I love it. If your dh and dd bring your luggage and you just have your carryons or if you let ME deliver your luggage you will be at the resort fairly quickly. My average time from MCO to resort is 70-80 minutes, AKL, POFQ, BWV 2x. Quicker than anytime I have used a town car service :)

Our last trip we landed at MCO at 9:15 on Good Friday and were checked into POFQ by 10:30.

You will land at MCO, head to the ME welcome center, check in and be directed to your bus queue. Usually you will walk right on a bus but occasionally you will have a short wait for a bus to arrive. A few minutes on the bus to wait for more passengers and you are off for the 30-40 minute ride to the resort. Depending on the demand you can have as little as 2 or as many as 4 stops but the norm is 3. I find it a very nice, cool relaxing way to get to WDW, coach bus very comfy with a nice welcome video.

TJ

Hi Veronica!! :wave2:

That actually sounds like a GREAT plan! ::yes:: As long as you won't have any trouble getting to the airport yourself, then I don't see any drawbacks to your plan, at all. :) Have a wonderful time!!!! :sunny:

P.S. Will they allow you to change your flight at this point? I mean, is there space on the earlier flight for DH and DD?? That'd be my only concern, since it's only a couple of weeks away.

Hi Veronica!! :wave2:

That actually sounds like a GREAT plan! ::yes:: As long as you won't have any trouble getting to the airport yourself, then I don't see any drawbacks to your plan, at all. :) Have a wonderful time!!!! :sunny:

P.S. Will they allow you to change your flight at this point? I mean, is there space on the earlier flight for DH and DD?? That'd be my only concern, since it's only a couple of weeks away.

Hey Terry:flower3: Getting to the airport for me is easy-I will just drive myself and leave the car so that when we get back we do not have to depend on anyone to come get us.

We only fly SWA and we are flying on a credit, but they will let you cancel and rebook as much as you want it seems. Jamie already switched the flights so the plan is a go now. I am just wondering about the ME time for me to get from MCO to CSR at 10 at night!! No checked luggage-I am taking a small carry on only.

I think that's a great plan. Any time I can pawn grocery store trips off on anyone else, it's a great plan. Plus the DD will get another whole day to enjoy the fun and sun, and that would be worth it to me.

Hey Terry:flower3: Getting to the airport for me is easy-I will just drive myself and leave the car so that when we get back we do not have to depend on anyone to come get us.

We only fly SWA and we are flying on a credit, but they will let you cancel and rebook as much as you want it seems. Jamie already switched the flights so the plan is a go now. I am just wondering about the ME time for me to get from MCO to CSR at 10 at night!! No checked luggage-I am taking a small carry on only.

That's great that Southwest doesn't charge for changes! :)

I've used ME twice. I can't remember the exact times that it took me to get to my resort, but I remember waiting in line at the airport for the next bus to come along, and then being the last stop for being dropped of because the bus stopped at 2 other resorts before mine. I don't think it took more than an hour and a half though. Have fun!!!! :yay:

In Dec. DH will go ahead of me and take as much luggage as he can so it will be in the room before I arrive. Any luggage I take will go on ME with me. Be sure if you take any luggage with you to take it on the bus with you and don't have Disney pick it up for you. Luggage can take up to 3 hours to arrive to your room, so you would not get it until 1:00 am or the next morning.
I have to travel later than DH because of our required holiday luncheon at work on the 19th.

I am not sure why you will have to check in - -typically I do the checking in for everyone -- and this next weekend my husband is coming via plane then ME later than I am (I am all ready in FL and driving). He was just going to call me and get the room number and meet me there.

Liz

I think your plan sounds Great!!! Lucky DH and DD.
We haVe used ME 4 times and I love it. We have driven, rented a car, used a Town Car service and used ME. I choose ME now.
I would say on average it took us about 90 minutes from touchdown on the runway to being in the hotel lobby.
Have a fun trip.

I also agree that it sounds like a great plan, but I'm not sure why DH is getting a rental car. Are you planning on going off-site? I think that it would be easier for him w/ DD to also take ME. He could just pack the swim stuff in a carry on and let ME deliver the luggage to the room. As for groceries, instead of going to a store, you could have them delivered to your room. I have used gardengrocer.com and had a fabulous experience. I know other people have liked other grocery delivery services that they have used. It would save the car rental fee.

Sounds like a good plan for your family! Be sure that your DH realizes that arriving that early in the day there is a very good chance that he won't be able to actually check into the room. Check in time is usually 3 or 4 pm I believe. BUT....he can leave the luggage with the front desk to be delivered to the room when it's ready. So, be sure that his and DD's swim suits and towels and sunscreen, etc. are in a separate bag or at least on top in the suitcase so he can easily grab those things and head to the pool to change and relax.

Because of the check in "problem"....he also should plan to do the grocery shopping AFTER he actually gets into the room. I think I've read here that the front desk will hold luggage but not groceries (actually what I remember reading was they objected to a large case of water....perhaps space issues, not sure).

If the items he's buying from the grocery aren't perishable of course he could just leave them in the trunk of the car, for that matter he could also leave the luggage there if he didn't want to hassle carrying them in until a room is ready.

From what I've read about ME, you'll be fine.....you won't have any luggage except your carry on, so you don't have to worry about waiting for them delivering it to you the following morning. I have read some sad stories about people not getting their luggage quick enough and not having clothes to change into etc. If you'll need whatever is in your carry on, or just for conveninence sake, I'd probably NOT give it to ME to load under the bus...because then you'll have to wait until they deliver it to have it. Carry it like a purse and you'll always have it with you, so no delivery.

Enjoy your quick trip!

When I have gone on ME, anything loaded under the bus is given to me when I get to the resort. So, any carry on luggage you have will be loaded under the bus and you'll get it when you arrive at the resort. The luggage they deliver to you later is what you have tagged for ME and don't pick up at the luggage carousel in the airport.

I am not sure why you will have to check in - -typically I do the checking in for everyone -- and this next weekend my husband is coming via plane then ME later than I am
The OP is going during (although not necessarily for) Free Dining. One of the restrictions, due to "ghost Guests" is that all members of your party need to be present at check in. If they're not, your package can be adjusted.
From various reports, the 'everybody present' requirement seems to be randomly enforced - enough so that you don't know if it's going to happen to you, but not enough to delay the lines horrendously while every person at the counter goes and rounds up their entire party and returns (naturally) to the front of the line.
It also doesn't mean Disney will take away - in this case - the OP's free dining, but that they may not activate her credits, or for that matter her room access key, until she presents herself at check-in. Then again, they might.
Also, again in this case, she'll be staying at CSR for the first time and arriving without a car. Aside from just knowing her room number - information she can get from her DH over the phone - she'll also need to know how to get to it. Checking in at the Front Desk will provide her with a resort map, with her building circled. Not a big deal if she's in Cabanas 9B; matters more if she's on the back of the Ranchos.

The OP is going during (although not necessarily for) Free Dining. One of the restrictions, due to "ghost Guests" is that all members of your party need to be present at check in. If they're not, your package can be adjusted.
From various reports, the 'everybody present' requirement seems to be randomly enforced - enough so that you don't know if it's going to happen to you, but not enough to delay the lines horrendously while every person at the counter goes and rounds up their entire party and returns (naturally) to the front of the line.
It also doesn't mean Disney will take away - in this case - the OP's free dining, but that they may not activate her credits, or for that matter her room access key, until she presents herself at check-in. Then again, they might.
Also, again in this case, she'll be staying at CSR for the first time and arriving without a car. Aside from just knowing her room number - information she can get from her DH over the phone - she'll also need to know how to get to it. Checking in at the Front Desk will provide her with a resort map, with her building circled. Not a big deal if she's in Cabanas 9B; matters more if she's on the back of the Ranchos.

Ahh ok -- we are going during free dining too and I am definitely checking in much earlier than my husband will arrive - I will deal with it at the time but I better be able to get myself checked in with keys that work before my husband's later arrival.

Liz

Sounds like it will work. A couple of thoughts:
~Pack DH & DD a carry-on with what they would need to hang out, swim or whatever if they arrive and the room isn't ready. I'm thinking bathing suits, flips flops, beach cover-up, sunscreen...whatever else you think they'd need if they didn't have access to their luggage for a few hours.
~Rather than take ME, I'd probably rent a car to take me to the hotel. If I were arriving at 10PM, I wouldn't want to be schlepping around for another hour on a bus. I'd want to be at the hotel ASAP.
~Don't you bring any bags other than a carry-on (if you need it) if you do decide to take ME. Then there won't be that wait for your bag to arrive to the room, which I hear can happen with ME. Remember, you'll be landing at 10PM...do you really want to sit up another hour possibly waiting for your luggage to be brought to the door?

Even if ME took 90 minutes to get you to your resort, its still a better deal than trying to pick up a rental that late, grocery shop, etc. I think this is a much better way to go. I've suggested DD & I fly down early and DH following before but he said no go. It's a WDW family vacation so we have to be a family. Sigh.... I'm so jealous

Thanks everyone for the input. Just a few points to clarify-

DH and DD are only taking carryon luggage as well. We are only there for 4 nights, and between the three of us, we can fit everything into our 2 small rolling suitcases. We are going to split the clothes among both suitcases, but DH and DD will have their bathing suits in the bag they take with them. So we are not waiting on ME to deliver luggage from either flight. We like the freedom of the car, and as we want to get water and breakfast stuff (muffins, pop tarts etc) the grocery stop is needed. DH likes that we can take the car the last day (sunday) to our park of the day (AK) and just leave for the airport from there. I know that check in isn't until 3 or 4, but he can always leave the stuff in the car while they go do what they want-apparently they are now going swimming at CSR then to AK for evening EMH. I understand about the check in-I knew that they would make me check in seperately due to the Free Dining (which is part of why we are going). And as someone pointed out, I will need a map to get to our room, even if DH tells me where it is. And this way, I will get my key to let myself in.

DH seems to be happier about this plan-and quite honestly I am looking forward to flying alone. Me, my ipod, or a book (maybe some wine too) and NO ONE BOTHERING ME!! :cloud9: It is 2.5 hours of "alone time". :rotfl: I have full confidence that DH will be able to handle everything and have some special Daddy and Bubbin (what we call DD) time. Oh wait this is our anniversary trip, isn't it:confused3 :lmao:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Much appreciated!
Only 17 more days!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter