Desert Inn vs. Candy Cane Inn

mel2014

DIS Veteran
We are newly-minted Flex Pass holders looking to maximize our DL trips over the next year in part by minimizing hotel costs. We've got three trips booked/in the planning stages:

(1) January 10-12 (just me and DS (9), flying, no car)
(2) February 7-10 (me, DH, DD (11) and DS (9), flying, no car)
(3) May 22-25 (me, DH, DD (11) and DS (9), likely driving)

We've been to DL multiple times over the last several years and even though my kids are older now, the only time we haven't done a midday break is when we had a one-day visit, so I envision going back to the motel midday. We are also breakfast eaters, with my husband preferring protein options and the kids and me loving sugar and carbs. We've stayed at DI&S twice, never at Candy Cane Inn.

For the January trip, DI&S is $20 cheaper, so I think that's an easy decision for DI&S, even though the breakfast is sub-par. It's a quick 2-day trip, so we wouldn't be using the pool.

For the other two trips, DI&S would be $110 more (February) and $155 more (May, because of the parking charge at DI&S). While DI&S is closer, it doesn't seem like that's a location premium worth paying, particularly given: (1) the availability of the dedicated shuttle for Candy Cane Inn on trips back to the hotel; (2) the superior breakfast at Candy Cane Inn, including cheese, yogurt and ham and cheese croissants for DH; and (3) the better pool. The only other factor weighing in the DI&S side is the availability of a sofabed room so my kids don't have to share a bed, but they both hate sofabeds, so they're gradually coming around to the idea that they're better off sharing than sleeping on a sofabed or rollaway.

Are you factoring in any sort of discount at the CCI? I don't know if the DI&S offers any. But the CCI has a AAA discount, Milatary Discount, and a Dis Annual Pass holder discount. I believe it's $10 a night off the room rate if you have one of those.

The CCI also gives you a 'Reward Certificate" of $10 off a night of your next stay that they email after you check out. I was able to stack my AAA and Reward Certificate to save $20 a night this past August. I had to call to do it. Being that you have 3 trips close together you probably will have the next trip already booked so you would probably have to call and ask them if you can apply the Reward Cert after to see how they handle that.

https://www.candycaneinn.net/specials-and-promotions.htm

Are you factoring in any sort of discount at the CCI? I don't know if the DI&S offers any. But the CCI has a AAA discount, Milatary Discount, and a Dis Annual Pass holder discount. I believe it's $10 a night off the room rate if you have one of those.

The CCI also gives you a 'Reward Certificate" of $10 off a night of your next stay that they email after you check out. I was able to stack my AAA and Reward Certificate to save $20 a night this past August. I had to call to do it. Being that you have 3 trips close together you probably will have the next trip already booked so you would probably have to call and ask them if you can apply the Reward Cert after to see how they handle that.

https://www.candycaneinn.net/specials-and-promotions.htm

They both have the passholder discounts of $10/night, which I'm factoring into the price comparison. I believe the reward certificate does stack on top of that, based on what I read in some reviews, so that would make the differential even greater in favor of CCI for the second and/or third trip.

We stayed at the Kings Inn this last weekend and decided that was way too far. I know CCI is substantially closer and we did see the shuttle multiple times while we were going back and forth so I know it's reliable. I think it seems like the better choice.

One other thing to think about is staying at a hotel that has a loyalty/rewards program. If there is a hotel that is part of a major chain like Marriott, Hllton, ICG, etc. that will work for you, you might want to think about adding that to your list of options, especially since you already have several return trips on the books for this year. Reward points add up to free nights and/or upgrades -- and those can come in super handy for DLR trips! Free hotel nights can mean longer trips and more money freed up for spending in the parks.
ETA: Between the original two choices, my vote goes for the CCI.

Last edited:
One other thing to think about is staying at a hotel that has a loyalty/rewards program. If there is a hotel that is part of a major chain like Marriott, Hllton, ICG, etc. that will work for you, you might want to think about adding that to your list of options, especially since you already have several return trips on the books for this year. Reward points add up to free nights and/or upgrades -- and those can come in super handy for DLR trips! Free hotel nights can mean longer trips and more money freed up for spending in the parks.
ETA: Between the original two choices, my vote goes for the CCI.

When we had our APs for 2018, we started out by getting a Hilton CC and then making most of our stays there. We used the points to stay a full week at the DoubleTree on one of our trips and points to help offset costs staying at Homewood Suites and the main Hilton resort for other trips. It can definitely be worth it if you plan right.

Just got back from a stay at DI&S. We started out at the Marriott (in the convention center, across from the Hilton) because of a conference but switched over. We walked from Marriott and while I enjoy long walks, I was really relieved to have the closeness of DI&S for the final part of the trip. I stayed in CCI in October for the first time, and from what I've heard from others, be sure to get a premium room. Ours was a deluxe room and it was terrible for us; NOISY, small, ugly, etc., so be sure to request a premium with what you want. We tried to switch but there wasn't anything else. The motel itself is very nice and the walk didn't seem bad, plus there's the dedicated shuttle (kind of a hassle IMO so we didn't use it). The breakfast is something your family would like as they have breakfast croissants, doughnuts (good ones), fruit etc. and you already know there's not much at DI&S. I don't eat the breakast anyway so it doesn't matter to me. CCI is really cute and the pool area is nice, but an indoor pool for your dates might be better. I've heard people say they wouldn't swim in the indoor pool at DI but we did and I didn't get what was wrong with it. I would stay at DI for the times it's cheaper because the setup is so much better IMO; you get 2 queens plus a separate room with sofa bed (and 2nd tv), which is nice for a family. Our room at DI this week was spotless & quiet and I love the location because with all the extra walking you do at DLR, a few saved steps back to the room make a big difference, at least psychologically! The stay at CCI and if you prefer it, go back for your last trip.

Candy Cane. DI&S is just too old and run down for me. Add to it the breakfast is SO much better at Candy Cane.

I have never stayed at this location on Harbor near Denny’s and Disney crosswalk called Grand Legacy at the Park.If you register they send discount emails all the time. I would stay there or Best Western Park Place but I moved close to WDW... anyway they have a rooftop lounge bar with live music and open air seating with views of Fireworks. Plan to just walk over and take elevator up to check it out some time. That is how I discovered this. Obviously some nights are restricted for guests only like July 4 or NYE, etc.

Candy Cane. DI&S is just too old and run down for me. Add to it the breakfast is SO much better at Candy Cane.
That's what I would have said, too, but our room the other night and DI was redone and very nice! The room I had last time I stayed there--within the last year--was dingy and worn. They did tell me this time I'd been upgraded but the room was the same size, just a lot nicer. It was on the 5th (top) floor and very quiet compared to the other times I've stayed there.

I have never stayed at this location on Harbor near Denny’s and Disney crosswalk called Grand Legacy at the Park.If you register they send discount emails all the time. I would stay there or Best Western Park Place but I moved close to WDW... anyway they have a rooftop lounge bar with live music and open air seating with views of Fireworks. Plan to just walk over and take elevator up to check it out some time. That is how I discovered this. Obviously some nights are restricted for guests only like July 4 or NYE, etc.
I stayed there for Dapper Day a few weeks ago and it was very nice, though a bit farther away. The rooftop was closed 'for a private event' the whole time we were there, so I didn't get to check it out. They have free coffee in the morning in the lobby and they give you a little bag with an apple, granola bar, and water bottle. I still like the DI&S or BWPPI if you have a family because of the extra room and bed. This has been mentioned before, but DI usually won't hold your bags if you get there before check-in so you either have to leave them in your car or rent a locker, which costs $1.50 (only takes quarters). It does hold 2 carry-on size bags plus extra stuff but if you had more in your group and also needed to hold bags on check-out day it could add up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter