Delta question...upgrade a leg to 1st class.... 2 bags free?

If you want the bags free both ways then upgrade both ways. Delta is not giving you anything for free. I guess I don’t understand your question. You don’t have to sit in first class - I mean you could give your seat to someone else and sit in theirs.
There is no return flight.... I fly from GSP to ATL then change planes then go to MCO. I leave GSP around 6:00 pm and will be in MCO around 10:00pm. It's 2 legs on a one way trip.

Did you upgrade before your flight or the day of?
I upgraded to 1st class from Extra More Room on the second leg about 5 days before the flight. I wanted 1st class to begin with, but it cost over $700 one way, and I wasn't willing to pay that. For weeks, I went into my account and checked, and it would have cost $350+ to upgrade FOR EACH LEG, and this was on top of what I paid for the seat I already had. Ridiculous. And then, one day, the price of the seat came down a bit and I was offered the second leg for $109 and jumped on it. I was never offered a chance to upgrade the first leg that day or ever again.
I didn't know about my bag until I checked in on line, and when I inputted "1 bag" it showed that there was 0 charge. That was all determined when I checked in on line, so there was no reason for anything to change at the airport.

There is no return flight.... I fly from GSP to ATL then change planes then go to MCO. I leave GSP around 6:00 pm and will be in MCO around 10:00pm. It's 2 legs on a one way trip.

Okay, i got it. You will check your bag at the departure airport and there will be no fee for the first two bags. I also have a small airport that i fly out of and the bags are tagged priority at the original airport and go all the way through to your destination. Remember, when you pay for a bag it is not paid for twice. The free bags will be for the entirety from point A to point C. This should not be so difficult to explain-lol

Okay, i got it. You will check your bag at the departure airport and there will be no fee for the first two bags. I also have a small airport that i fly out of and the bags are tagged priority at the original airport and go all the way through to your destination. Remember, when you pay for a bag it is not paid for twice. The free bags will be for the entirety from point A to point C. This should not be so difficult to explain-lol
HAHA... I think I am having a hard time explaining this myself....... I am just worried that my small airport will go" hey you have main cabin leaving from here so you have to pay for your 2 bags. You should have booked first class for the 1st leg...sorry" LOL

They are starting with main cabin. That’s the hard part. They check on for a normal seat and then at their connection they are going FC.

If it were the other way then yes absolutely it’s two bags checked with no extra charge. I just did that internationally, even.

But going the other way is difficult to figure out.

And coming home internationally i
had the same thing the OP is facing, and going home had to check in with KLM rather than delta (both ways the main cabin flights were in KLM planes). I could not get the site to tell me that the bags would be included on that first part. So ultimately I just upgraded for $5 less than checking the two bags. And even then the site still said I had to pay for the bags.

But when I got to the counter the next day they were free. (Which I expected since I’d upgraded that leg, but the site never once said they would be free)

So I still don’t know if they would have been free if I hadn’t upgraded.

To me it’s m understandable question.

It is an understandable question
I'm not sure there's a definitive answer, unfortunately.
Just going to have to take a gamble and find out, or not do it and plan to pay.

i don't know who said it was not an "understandable question" I said it shouldn't be so hard to explain. I suppose I was not clear.

I have done the first leg from my small airport to ATL then to MCO as first class and first 2 bags are free. I did this in April 2019, there were no FC seat available for my return flight.

If you fly FC with Delta the first 2 bags are free on whichever direction you pay-like going OR returning. or both if you pay for both ways.

If you call Delta opt for the option for them to call you back. It is much quicker.

safe travels

I still have not upgraded yet. I did an online chat and the rep said I was mislead and that the only way to get 2 bags free is to book 1st leg of the one way trip first class. That was complete opposite of what the last rep on the phone said to me after speaking to his supervisor. It's almost funny now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter