Delta question...upgrade a leg to 1st class.... 2 bags free?

awfpack

Mouseketeer
I am meeting my family at Disney World so I am flying Delta for the 1st time. I am travel from GSP-ATL-MCO. I am in the main cabin but I have the option to upgrade to first class on the first leg for $74 and for the 2nd leg for $84. I was looking at doing 1st class on the second leg since it is longer. The cost is pretty close to what it would cost me to check my 2 bags (I am bringing the family luggage). If I upgrade just the 2nd leg will I get my 2 bags checked free at GSP? I have called Delta 3 times and got 3 different answers. I rep said it goes by the 1st leg. Another rep said it does not matter. A 3rd rep told me that I had to buy 1st class for both legs in order to get the free bags checked. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any input. I am getting tired of calling.

I am meeting my family at Disney World so I am flying Delta for the 1st time. I am travel from GSP-ATL-MCO. I am in the main cabin but I have the option to upgrade to first class on the first leg for $74 and for the 2nd leg for $84. I was looking at doing 1st class on the second leg since it is longer. The cost is pretty close to what it would cost me to check my 2 bags (I am bringing the family luggage). If I upgrade just the 2nd leg will I get my 2 bags checked free at GSP? I have called Delta 3 times and got 3 different answers. I rep said it goes by the 1st leg. Another rep said it does not matter. A 3rd rep told me that I had to buy 1st class for both legs in order to get the free bags checked. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any input. I am getting tired of calling.
I don't have a good answer for you, but I will say the leg from ATL - MCO is only ~60-90 minutes.

Yes it is about 90 min, the cost to check bag on Delta is $30 for the 1st bag and $40 for the 2nd. That is almost the cost of the upgrade to 1st class for that leg.

You check your baggage at the airport of departure. You won't see it again until you arrive. I would try inputting your intended travel plans on the Delta website and on the final page it will show the costs of what is/isn't included.

I just did something similar. Had an Extra Room seat for the first leg to ATL and was given the opportunity to upgrade to 1st class for the 2nd leg to my home. I only had one bag, but was NOT charged for it, and it was tagged for special handling.

I posted in flyertalk and I am still getting different answers....some say it is an add on to the ticket and I will have to pay for the bags and some are saying that if you have first class on any leg of your trip you get 2 bags checked free.
Still confused.

I just did something similar. Had an Extra Room seat for the first leg to ATL and was given the opportunity to upgrade to 1st class for the 2nd leg to my home. I only had one bag, but was NOT charged for it, and it was tagged for special handling.
Did you upgrade before your flight or the day of?

I can tell you 2 things
1, you'll know when you check in for your flight. With Delta, you can tell them the number of bags at the time you check in and it will tell you then if there's a charge for any of them.
2, Recently, had 1st class for 1 leg of 2 when flying home. I didn't have to pay for the 2nd bag. I didn't enter the number of bags when I did the check in this time, I forgot. I did use RAC and sometimes they don't get everything right so I can't say for certain that you'd find the same when checking in at the airport itself. I never get charged for 1 bag as I have the Delta AmEx

Can you upgrade to 1st class the day of? I know if I don't upgrade to first class then I will have to pay for my 2 bags.

Can you upgrade to 1st class the day of? I know if I don't upgrade to first class then I will have to pay for my 2 bags.
If there are 1st class seats open but it would likely cost way more than it does now.
The price flucuates greatly

OP, the cost to upgrade is worth it IMO. We fly from MLU-ATL-MCO and unless you are an AE Delta card holder then you pay $30/bag ( I think the Weight should be less than 40lbs but it could be 50lbs) but with First Class you get 2 free checked bags up to 50lbs AND your bags are tagged "PRIORITY" and so they will be pulled first usually (this is good when you fly home and you are waiting for your bags). You will get a pre flight drink -they serve Woodford reserve ;) and the seats are 2-2 and so much more room than those small planes. Once the flight reaches altitude, you get another drink in glass-does that matter - no but the drink in flight is in glass. The flight attendant will come around with a "snack basket" it has the usual Cheez its, cookies and the like but there are a few good choices in there and you can ask for chips and they may have those.

so, 2 checked bags and 2 free drinks- priority boarding - the cost for your flight upgrade to first class is not a bad idea. ENJOY !!! btw, I believe to have the free check bags round trip then you have to book first class both ways. It is still a good deal.

I posted in flyertalk and I am still getting different answers.......

I am not surprised. All you will get are people's opinions on those travel forums. I would go to the Delta website and input your information as though you plan to purchase a ticket and see what it shows (as I suggested previously). You can do the entire purchase process online so it certainly will show the options available.

I am not surprised. All you will get are people's opinions on those travel forums. I would go to the Delta website and input your information as though you plan to purchase a ticket and see what it shows (as I suggested previously). You can do the entire purchase process online so it certainly will show the options available.
I have a ticket already in the main cabin. It is a one way flight. When I log into my account I get the option to upgrade to comfort plus or first class. I get that option for each leg of the flight. When I check that option it lets me pick my seat and pay for the upgrade, however it does not say anything about the 2 bags being free.

OP, the cost to upgrade is worth it IMO. We fly from MLU-ATL-MCO and unless you are an AE Delta card holder then you pay $30/bag ( I think the Weight should be less than 40lbs but it could be 50lbs) but with First Class you get 2 free checked bags up to 50lbs AND your bags are tagged "PRIORITY" and so they will be pulled first usually (this is good when you fly home and you are waiting for your bags). You will get a pre flight drink -they serve Woodford reserve ;) and the seats are 2-2 and so much more room than those small planes. Once the flight reaches altitude, you get another drink in glass-does that matter - no but the drink in flight is in glass. The flight attendant will come around with a "snack basket" it has the usual Cheez its, cookies and the like but there are a few good choices in there and you can ask for chips and they may have those.

so, 2 checked bags and 2 free drinks- priority boarding - the cost for your flight upgrade to first class is not a bad idea. ENJOY !!! btw, I believe to have the free check bags round trip then you have to book first class both ways. It is still a good deal.
Thanks for the info. It does look like a great deal to upgrade, however I can not get a answer if the bags will be free. One Delta agent said I am just upgrading my seat so I do not get the benefits of first class. I just don't want to pay for the upgrade and they turn around and have to pay to check my 2 bags. I am only doing 1 way for this trip. My family will go down before me because I am a teacher and I will leave after teaching that day.
Thanks for your advice

Thanks for the info. It does look like a great deal to upgrade, however I can not get a answer if the bags will be free. One Delta agent said I am just upgrading my seat so I do not get the benefits of first class. I just don't want to pay for the upgrade and they turn around and have to pay to check my 2 bags. I am only doing 1 way for this trip. My family will go down before me because I am a teacher and I will leave after teaching that day.
Thanks for your advice
The bags will be free. I am positive of this. The day you check in for your flight you will see he option to pick how many bags and the charge will be ZERO. you can look on Delta’s site and see the First class bag fee. I have flown FC many times and just got back Friday flying FC to and from and I know the first 2 bags are free. Sorry if I did not make that clear in my previous answer.

’s also worth noting these fees apply only to Basic Economy, Main Cabin, and Delta Comfort+ customers. If you’re traveling First Class, Delta Premium Select, or Delta One, you automatically get two free checked bags (and they’ll even bump up the weight limit from 50 pounds to 70 pounds).438392

The bags will be free. I am positive of this. The day you check in for your flight you will see he option to pick how many bags and the charge will be ZERO. you can look on Delta’s site and see the First class bag fee. I have flown FC many times and just got back Friday flying FC to and from and I know the first 2 bags are free. Sorry if I did not make that clear in my previous answer.
Thanks for responding, That makes me feel better however, if I upgrade just the second leg(GSP-ATL-MCO) to first class when I arrive at GSP will they still see that I have 1st class on the second leg and not charge me for my 2 checked bags even if I am in main cabin for the 1st leg?

Thanks for responding, That makes me feel better however, if I upgrade just the second leg(GSP-ATL-MCO) to first class when I arrive at GSP will they still see that I have 1st class on the second leg and not charge me for my 2 checked bags even if I am in main cabin for the 1st leg?
Upgrade both legs now. When you check in for your return flight - you will choose 2 bags and they will be free.

Upgrade both legs now. When you check in for your return flight - you will choose 2 bags and they will be free.
If you want the bags free both ways then upgrade both ways. Delta is not giving you anything for free. I guess I don’t understand your question. You don’t have to sit in first class - I mean you could give your seat to someone else and sit in theirs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter