Delta baggage tag for car seat

Donna M

DIS Veteran
Is there a spot on the kiosk where you can get a baggage tag for a free checked car seat, or do we have to wait in line?

Neither. If not being used aboard the aircraft, car seats should ALWAYS be gate-checked to minimize possible damage and the possibility of mis-direction. (Gate-checked items end up on top of all the other baggage in the hold. If you check it with regular baggage it could end up under literally tons of other baggage. Not good for a plastic item that will become brittle in the cold temps of an aircraft hold at altitude.)

So, take it with you through security and check it when you reach your gate, and then claim it again at the destination gate. A backpack cover makes it easier to do this, and also keeps it from acquiring grease smears from machinery.

In order to be gate checked it must be an FAA approved seat, and if you're going to bring it through security and to the gate, you may as well use it on the flight. Not all seats gate checked will be valet checked. They may well be through checked and you would need to pick it up at baggage claim.

In order to be gate checked it must be an FAA approved seat, and if you're going to bring it through security and to the gate, you may as well use it on the flight. Not all seats gate checked will be valet checked. They may well be through checked and you would need to pick it up at baggage claim.

There is no reason the seat would need to be FAA approved if they aren't using it onboard, we have gate checked booster seats many times and they definitely can not be used onboard.

In addition you absolutely can gate check a car seat and or a stroller to be delivered to the gate at landing as opposed to baggage claim.

This is a Delta requirement. If you read the actual Delta regs, they state that it must be FAA approved in order to be brought down the jetway.
It is entirely up to the gate agent whether it will be valet checked or through checked. I was an a MCO-MSP flight two weeks ago that had gate checked items sent to the baggage carousel rather than valet checked to the gateway.
Here is the actual Delta page about car seats and strollers. https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/special-items/children-infant-items

To answer the OP's question: You would need to wait in line to have it checked. Depending on where you're flying from it might be the same line.

This is a Delta requirement. If you read the actual Delta regs, they state that it must be FAA approved in order to be brought down the jetway.
It is entirely up to the gate agent whether it will be valet checked or through checked. I was an a MCO-MSP flight two weeks ago that had gate checked items sent to the baggage carousel rather than valet checked to the gateway.
Here is the actual Delta page about car seats and strollers. https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/special-items/children-infant-items

To answer the OP's question: You would need to wait in line to have it checked. Depending on where you're flying from it might be the same line.

That's interesting as there is no such thing as an FAA approved booster seat - and again I have gate checked backless (not FAA approved) booster on Delta many times.

You can usually tell by the bag tag if it will be checked through or gate checked as its clearly marked.

And Yes - if you want to check it through you have to wait in line or use the kiosk and deliver it to the agent once tagged.

[snip]

There is nothing in that linked page to state that a seat must be FAA approved to be taken down the jetway; it says it must be FAA approved to be "brought on board the plane." Items in the hold are not considered to be "brought on board." A passenger takes a gate-checked item onto the jetway, but does not bring it onto the plane; it is left on the jetway next to the aircraft door, where the ramp agents pick it up and put it in the cargo hold for you, which is the distinction.

Airlines that normally charge a fee for gate-checked baggage will customarily have two types of tag available for gate agents to use, one that says "Security-screened baggage", which can be used to indicate the payment status for the bag (some situations can result in having to pay to check baggage at the gate, including if it does not meet carryon dimensions. Using this tag normally sends the item to baggage claim on landing. However, they also normally have tags that specify "CLAIM AT GATE", which are meant for items that may be needed in the airport, or are fragile/valuable. Baby items normally get that CLAIM AT GATE tag, but sometimes the gate agents will just grab a tag and not note the difference. My kids are now too old to use carseats, but when they did, you bet your bippy I insisted that my carseat and stroller meet me at the gate on connecting flights -- I've been stranded/delayed at connecting airports way too many times; and if you want to leave the airport with a baby for a few hours or overnight at a hotel, you're going to need that carseat. You can politely insist that you will claim it at all connecting gates. (This is the same reason I always stress that parents need to actually carry on 24 hours worth of whatever an infant will need, because you normally cannot buy baby food or diapering items in airports. If shops sell them at all they run out very quickly once delays start to happen.)

While we're on the subject of FAA approved car seats, be aware that whether or not the mfr. calls it a booster is irrelevant; what counts is whether the FAA classifies it as such. The FAA considers any carseat that is lacking an integral 5-point harness to be a booster, and thus not approved without the harness in place. Note that the FAA approval label on the car seat does NOT say "FAA approved." The label says, "This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft." in RED lettering.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter