Deck 7, 8 or 9??? Why do you choose your deck?

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
We first cruised on deck 9 Fantasy and really enjoyed it. I loved that it was just steps from Cabanas and we were able to easily get elevators going down.

Then we cruised deck 8 Fantasy and liked that, too. We took the elevator more often, though, as it was a couple of flights to get anywhere. But the view was still nice and being high up, we could see a lot.

Now, I'm looking for that perfect room. If I want starboard, I'm going to have to go to deck 7 (Fantasy, again!). I don't anticipate it being much different than deck 8, but we will be lower. I've heard comments about the lifeboats getting in the way of "fish watching" from your verandah as you sail. I don't know if that's true or not. I'm also concerned about sound coming up from deck 4, as we will be that much closer to things like shuffleboard. But the extra $200-ish would be nice.

So, do I go 7 starboard, or 8 (or 9) port? Why do you choose the deck you do? What are the pros/cons of these decks?

We have sailed deck 7 3 times and really like it. I have avoided deck 9 since there are public areas over head. I like that on 7 I can take the stairs up or down. Easy access to kid clubs etc below as well as the pool and drink stations above. Our view wasn't obstructed by the life boats, but I think they would be on deck 6, so I have avoided that deck as well.

We have sailed deck 7 3 times and really like it. I have avoided deck 9 since there are public areas over head. I like that on 7 I can take the stairs up or down. Easy access to kid clubs etc below as well as the pool and drink stations above. Our view wasn't obstructed by the life boats, but I think they would be on deck 6, so I have avoided that deck as well.

I thought Deck 10 was all cabins on the Fantasy and Dream...

We usually sail AFT. Deck normally doesn't matter as long as there are only cabins above and below us. The only exception is the Fantasy - would want to be as high up as possible (although not likely to sail aft on Fantasy again). We also like to be fairly close to the stairs/elevator.

On the Dream Fantasy we normally if not a forward deck 5 (love the double wide) we've chosen decks 7 and 8 to put us in the middle both to the top deck action and down to the public areas on decks 3-5.

I pick staterooms that are sandwiched above and below by other staterooms and aren't anywhere near laundry rooms, elevators or stairs. On our last cruise, we were completely forward so no one ever even walked by our stateroom (except the room stewards). It was FABULOUS.

We love being on deck 9 for the ease of getting up to 11 via stairs. We were always taking the elevator to dinner anyway and I was the only one who cared about going down at other times.

I've sailed decks 9 and 7 on the Dream and liked both equally. Last time I booked a balcony stateroom on Deck 7, I think I recall it being cheaper than deck 9 so we went with it and really liked it. Did not notice any noise from Deck 4, and trust me, I am a noise-sensitive person! We were midship, very close to elevators.

This is only our 2nd DCL Cruise, but we are booked for deck 9 (Cat 8B), because that was what was left!! Ha!

We stayed in an 8A on the 5th floor (forward) for our first cruise. It was amazing and I’d do it again in an instant. Loved the floor plan and the convenience to theaters and such.

Honestly fish watching and lifeboats seem like a silly reason to not choose a floor. Other than the 4e rooms, the rest all have some ship to look over to get to the water. Deck 5/6 I guess might be the toughest with a view to straight down water. But 7-10? Not an issue. Not like fish are just hanging out next to the ship anyway. Alaska yes, but open water is largely devoid of many sea creatures.

I find it easy to walk down the stairs, so we take stairs down a lot more than stairs going up. Huffing from deck 3 to deck 9 is a long haul. So depending on the circumstances that might be an elevator ride.

If you really like starboard because of the views from castaway cay and in port, then by all means save the $200. The only reason to avoid 7 is if you spend a lot of time going from your room to the pool deck all day. If thats the case, a higher room and the stairs might be a better option.

We have stayed on deck 9 on Fantasy and loved it. Nice and quiet and we were starboard. Have also stayed on deck 7 and loved it as well. The only caveat to that is we noticed much more running up and down the hallways on deck 7. Little ones that use the hallways as their own personal speedway. We were port on deck 7, near aft, did not have any issues watching the ocean, no obstructions etc. Really didn't notice that bad of a vibration either, although much more so than on deck 9. We are deck 7 again this next February, but more towards mid ship, still port side (they didn't have any starboard left. :( )

We choose 11 or 12 on the Dream and Fantasy and 8 on the Magic and Wonder because that's where the concierge rooms are located.

Honestly fish watching and lifeboats seem like a silly reason to not choose a floor. Other than the 4e rooms, the rest all have some ship to look over to get to the water. Deck 5/6 I guess might be the toughest with a view to straight down water. But 7-10? Not an issue. Not like fish are just hanging out next to the ship anyway. Alaska yes, but open water is largely devoid of many sea creatures.

I find it easy to walk down the stairs, so we take stairs down a lot more than stairs going up. Huffing from deck 3 to deck 9 is a long haul. So depending on the circumstances that might be an elevator ride.

If you really like starboard because of the views from castaway cay and in port, then by all means save the $200. The only reason to avoid 7 is if you spend a lot of time going from your room to the pool deck all day. If thats the case, a higher room and the stairs might be a better option.
Good points. My DH did see a fish off our balcony one day, though. He's been looking for another ever since, lol.

We love 7 midship to minimize any seasickness effects. Just aft of the midship elevators, so it's only a quick 2 flights down to retrieve or deposit a kid at the kids' club (with 3, we spend a lot of time back and forth!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter