December at Disney World

lindsay314

Earning My Ears
Hello!
My mom and I are planning our second mother-daughter trip to WDW this December (well, Nov 30th-Dec 5th) and we are so excited! We have never been during December before. What are some things we shouldn't miss? We already have the Candlelight Processional package and tickets to the Christmas party. Also, how are the crowds and weather? We are flying in from Tennessee. My last three trips to Orlando have been in September and October.
TIA! :)

I really like the Storytellers around the World in the World Showcase. Weather in December could be hot, cold, or anything in between. You can't predict what it will be like until a few days before.
Bring layers.

I would highly recommend touring the deluxe resorts, particularly the ones in the MK area (take the monorail loop to see Poly, GF, CR and then take a boat to WL). The resorts are so beautifully decorated. My DS9 and I did this last December and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

The weather can really vary. I would keep an eye on the forecasts about 2-7 days prior to your trip and pack layers if need be.

The Beach Club usually has a carousel made of chocolate with hidden Mickeys, I would go to see that one too.

IMG_2716.JPG

It sounds like you already have a good start on your December visit plans. I second the suggestions to visit the deluxe resorts, particularly the GF, and to take time to enjoy the World Showcase.

As the previous poster noted the weather in December can range from chilly mornings in the low 30's to warm sunny days in the low 80's. Pack at least one outfit for each extreme and you'll be prepared.

We made many early December trips and while we have watched the crowds slowly increase over the years it is still one of the best times to visit WDW.
Wishing you and your daughter a pixiedust: visit!

I agree about visiting the deluxe resorts but I would skip Poly there isn't much to see there. I would stick with GF, WL, CR, and seeing the campsites at FW plus the Epcot resorts of BC, YC, and BW. The Swan and Dolphin if you have time. Also AKL. We love MVMCP and Holidays Around the World and CP at Epcot. Last year they had Jingle Bell Jingle Bam at DHS which is a projection show and you will need to get a good spot early or do the dessert party to get a good spot or else you will have a hard time seeing.

Weather is great! It might get a bit chilly but likely waaaay warmer than wherever you're from. Crowds are good too (except MK on nights of MVMCP.)

Another vote to take a day to tour the resorts. But I'd include all deluxes resorts plus Swan and Dolphin. I'm actually planning a day just like that for mom and I. We start with breakfast at Kona at 10am, see the Poly decor, monorail to Grand Floridian, monorail to the Contemporary, bus to POFQ so we can rest a while then bus to HS, boat to Boardwalk, walk to Beach Club, walk to Yacht Club, walk to the Swan, walk to the Dolphin. We're probably hitting Disney Springs at night and also going to Saratoga Springs to check it out as well.

If you can afford it, the Yuletide Tour is also going on during that time and it's a great option if you like to see how Disney decorates for the season.

Yes! We were there late Nov last year and it was freezing - like CM's wearing coats and earmuffs. Had to buy my kids each a $40 hoodie.....

This link from Deb's site is a good help. Check the links in the left margin also.

As for weather, be prepared for cold spells. Check the weather trend a day or 2 before you leave to get a bit of a handle what it will be like. Mornings and evenings can be very cold at times. Ask anybody who was there in early December 2010. :cold:

http://allears.net/tp/holiday.htm

Thanks everyone! We have plans to check out the monorail resort decorations one day and the sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness, but we may have to add the Epcot resorts to our list too.
Will all the decorations be up by November 30th?

Thanks everyone! We have plans to check out the monorail resort decorations one day and the sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness, but we may have to add the Epcot resorts to our list too.
Will all the decorations be up by November 30th?
Everything will be up by the time you go. Technically, all the decorations will be up before thanksgiving. Some tips I will reiterate is to bring layers because it could be hot or cold you never know. Also, the storytellers at the world showcase are not to be missed. I also like the holiday version of illuminations. You could maybe look at going to MVMCP so you can see the Christmas parade and fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter