December 2018

v0mich01

Mouseketeer
We are currently booked to go this December, but I'm pregnant with #2, and having some slight complications. My ob hasn't told me I can't go, but I'm anticipating her telling me this as we get closer to travel. And my sweet TA has already changed my trip about a million times. So I'm trying to get my choice made preemptively.

So if we have to reschedule, we're thinking the week after thanksgiving, the next week, or the next. It'll be me, my husband, our 3 year old son, and baby number 2 will be about 8 months.

I'm between AoA for the convenience of having a separate bedroom, our 3 year old is a great sleeper, but who knows what an 8 month old is going to do. Or Wilderness Lodge because apparently it's beautiful at Christmas. Or should we do a monorail resort? We would likely go back to the room everyday for a nap. We'd be doing 5 days in the park, and do the Christmas party one evening.

It'll be a first trip for us all.

The first week of December is usually Pop Warner, so the value resorts are usually packed with kids from those teams. So, I would go for the week after thanksgiving, or week 2 of December if you are going to try to stay at a value resort. However, we went during week one of December once, and we were at a DVC/Deluxe, and didn't notice any impact from them. So, if you are going to be at one of the Deluxe resorts, go with whichever week you can get the best prices and flights.

The Wilderness Lodge is beautiful at Christmas. You might want to check out the Contemporary resort too (they have a fun gingerbread display). If you are going to be going back for naps in the afternoon, and will have a stroller, being able to walk from MK will be very convenient.

Congrats on your upcoming addition to your family!

We are currently booked to go this December, but I'm pregnant with #2, and having some slight complications. My ob hasn't told me I can't go, but I'm anticipating her telling me this as we get closer to travel. And my sweet TA has already changed my trip about a million times. So I'm trying to get my choice made preemptively.

So if we have to reschedule, we're thinking the week after thanksgiving, the next week, or the next. It'll be me, my husband, our 3 year old son, and baby number 2 will be about 8 months.

I'm between AoA for the convenience of having a separate bedroom, our 3 year old is a great sleeper, but who knows what an 8 month old is going to do. Or Wilderness Lodge because apparently it's beautiful at Christmas. Or should we do a monorail resort? We would likely go back to the room everyday for a nap. We'd be doing 5 days in the park, and do the Christmas party one evening.

I would recommend an MK-area resort so that getting back for naps will be convenient. You can't beat CR for being within walking distance of the MK. You can always visit the other resorts to see their decorated lobbies. TBH, I would choose that any time over a separate bedroom at a Value Resort. Just the thought of wrangling a double stroller aboard a bus is enough to tilt the table in favor of CR.

Some pregnancy complications can resolve as the pregnancy progresses. I have no idea what's going on, but why don't you ask your OB/GYN if this is something that will stop you from going.

You don't mention what your budget is, but if you'd like a separate bedroom, I would suggest looking into a 1-bedroom villa at BLT (the villas at Contemporary), BRV or CCV (the villas at Wilderness Lodge). BLT (which isn't the greatest all-around resort, IMHO) will give you the easiest access to MK (you can walk), plus monorail access to both MK and EP (by transferring to the EP monorail at TTC). Wilderness Lodge is a gorgeous resort and beats BLT/CR by a mile, IMHO, but you will only have boat access to MK (which is actually very efficient, IMHO). If the 1-bedroom isn't in your price range, I would consider a standard room at Poly (the theming is better than CR and you can walk to TTC for the Epcot monorail) or a standard room at WL (which will be smaller than the rooms on the monorail). When my DS was 3, we really liked having the separate space that the 1-bedroom villas provided, plus the washer/dryer and kitchen came in very handy. I would not recommend AoA at all. You will have a bigger space, but it's very loud and uncomfortable, has a chaotic food court and only has buses to the parks. It's not convenient if you want to go back for naps every day.

Just the thought of wrangling a double stroller aboard a bus is enough to tilt the table in favor of CR.

This! Monorail resort for sure, especially since it will be your first trip with little ones, you will probably enjoy spending time at MK the most. Character breakfast at Polynesian!!!!

If you can swing a monorail resort I think that work best, 2nd choice WL it is absolutely beautiful at Christmas time, the boat is very convenient to MK.
Another great option maybe a 1 bedroom, they don't release them until time gets closer but having a washer n dryer in the room is always handy when you have little ones.
As far as choosing a date, the week after thanksgiving is a great time while staying at a Deluxe I'm not sure about a value at that time.
Have fun! BTW I booked a surprise trip Christmas week at Contemporary!

I
I would recommend an MK-area resort so that getting back for naps will be convenient. You can't beat CR for being within walking distance of the MK. You can always visit the other resorts to see their decorated lobbies. TBH, I would choose that any time over a separate bedroom at a Value Resort. Just the thought of wrangling a double stroller aboard a bus is enough to tilt the table in favor of CR.

I was thinking monorail would be super convenient too. I had never considered them, but with have two that will need naps, it may be worth it.

Some pregnancy complications can resolve as the pregnancy progresses. I have no idea what's going on, but why don't you ask your OB/GYN if this is something that will stop you from going.

I had the same issues when I was pregnant with #1, and it was peaking right at the time our current trip is booked (23weeks.) we deal with infertility, so we booked this trip a year in advance and no thought we'd get pregnant without fertility treatments, but there's a little surprise miracle growing in me. I could delay it a bit, but the reason we booked it for when we did was that ds would be almost 2, so free. If I'm going to have to pay for him, I'd rather wait a year(I really want to go Christmas time) and have an extra year to save. It going to be more expensive just bc we're paying for a child and meal plan for him, but if we have a year, we could have enough for a nice resort too.

You don't mention what your budget is, but if you'd like a separate bedroom, I would suggest looking into a 1-bedroom villa at BLT (the villas at Contemporary), BRV or CCV (the villas at Wilderness Lodge). BLT (which isn't the greatest all-around resort, IMHO) will give you the easiest access to MK (you can walk), plus monorail access to both MK and EP (by transferring to the EP monorail at TTC). Wilderness Lodge is a gorgeous resort and beats BLT/CR by a mile, IMHO, but you will only have boat access to MK (which is actually very efficient, IMHO). If the 1-bedroom isn't in your price range, I would consider a standard room at Poly (the theming is better than CR and you can walk to TTC for the Epcot monorail) or a standard room at WL (which will be smaller than the rooms on the monorail). When my DS was 3, we really liked having the separate space that the 1-bedroom villas provided, plus the washer/dryer and kitchen came in very handy. I would not recommend AoA at all. You will have a bigger space, but it's very loud and uncomfortable, has a chaotic food court and only has buses to the parks. It's not convenient if you want to go back for naps every day.

I think the 1 brs are probably out of our price range. But I'm not sure. I was thinking $5000 would probably be the most we could swing. I have looked into club level a bit. As we would be back at the rooms for nap everyday. It might be nice to have some where to retreat to. But I'm not sure if it's worth it. We would probably be back at the resort fairly early in the evenings too. So we could take advantage of the services. Do you have any thoughts on that?

This! Monorail resort for sure, especially since it will be your first trip with little ones, you will probably enjoy spending time at MK the most. Character breakfast at Polynesian!!!!

It'll be the first trip for all of us I'll have to price the monorail resorts. Do you have a recommendation of which one?

If you can swing a monorail resort I think that work best, 2nd choice WL it is absolutely beautiful at Christmas time, the boat is very convenient to MK.
Another great option maybe a 1 bedroom, they don't release them until time gets closer but having a washer n dryer in the room is always handy when you have little ones.
As far as choosing a date, the week after thanksgiving is a great time while staying at a Deluxe I'm not sure about a value at that time.
Have fun! BTW I booked a surprise trip Christmas week at Contemporary!

Monorail is sounding like it may be the best bet! I think 1 bedroom is probably out of our price range. But I won't know until their made available.

Is it at all worth trying to book through dvc? I had initially thought maybe AK would be nice, but do you all think it's too much for a hassle for traveling there with two little ones?

We are going the week after Thanksgiving 2018 (Sunday - Sunday) and will have a 10yo and almost 2yo twins. We decided on a split stay between CR and AoA, because I couldn't decide between the convenience of the monorail/walking to MK, and the extra space in a family suite. The 1 BRs were absolutely out of our budget, at least based on the prices I saw for this year. I think they were over $10k. Some people recommend renting points, but that scared me a little, so I didn't look into it much.

I figure we will do most of our MK days while at CR, and other parks from AoA. I think you can't beat being able to walk to and from MK with a stroller. We would have probably stayed at CR the whole time if we didn't think the kids would love AoA.

Is it at all worth trying to book through dvc? I had initially thought maybe AK would be nice, but do you all think it's too much for a hassle for traveling there with two little ones?
Maybe.

The first couple of weeks in December have low point requirements, which make it very affordable to rent a reservation thru an agency or directly with a member. However, it's also the most in-demand period for DVC owners for that very reason and because there is so much going on at Disney during that time. Booking a monorail resort can be difficult if you're trying to go thru an agency.

AKV is really cool but I think that it's best saved for a time when your children are older. Transportation is limited to only buses and you would still have to deal with loading a double stroller on the bus while dealing with the children every time you want to go to and from your resort. I'd stick with a MK-area resort for your first visit.

Hello! I happen to be planning a trip for December 2018 also. I will have an almost 3 year old with me and I narrowed my choices down to Contemporary for the convenience of walking to MK, and Wilderness Lodge for the theme and beauty at Christmastime. I decided on Contemporary. We plan to do 4 days in the parks ( MK and EPCOT are our favorites) and go to the Christmas Party another day so location won out in the end. My plan is to rent DVC points for a studio at BLT (going December 14-18). If you are completely certain of your dates then it might be worth looking into as well. You might even be able to afford a 1 bedroom that way.

I also wanted to mention I thought about AKL also but the location just wasn't ideal. Like a PP said, that would probably be better when the kids are older. I just got back from a budget trip staying at All Star Sports and it was a HUGE pain to use the buses with my 20 month old and a stroller. Hence my decision to go with Contemporary :)

so we booked this trip a year in advance and no thought we'd get pregnant without fertility treatments, but there's a little surprise miracle growing in me
Ah, I got tears in my eyes! This was how ours went too. Much love and prayers to you!

That said, we stayed at the WL the previous two trips. We loved the transportation (buses and boats) and rarely had any issues with them (I know, I know, there are some horror stories). Next year, we'll be at the BLT. In our previous visits to the Contemporary, it was...busy and loud. We loved the comfy feeling of the WL. Yes, at times the lobby was rockin' (our second visit, our room opened to the lobby, but inside we never heard a thing), but every.single.time we were at the Contemp, it was a hustle. Our youngest was 2 when we went the first time and she did fabulous on the top bunk, in case that is an option (rails for the baby on the bottom...depends on the kiddo).

Monorail is sounding like it may be the best bet! I think 1 bedroom is probably out of our price range. But I won't know until their made available.

Is it at all worth trying to book through dvc? I had initially thought maybe AK would be nice, but do you all think it's too much for a hassle for traveling there with two little ones?[/QUOTE]

Joey was 2 1/2 when we rented DVC points and we rented again when he was 5 the 1st time was AKL and 2nd OKW I loved the washer n dryer and space for him to play, the animals where amazing at AKL but the boat to Disney Springs and more room at OKW was great! It was a little inconvenient but having the space and W/D was the best. I could do laundry anytime - have fun and congrats

Garden wing at contemporary? Cheaper than tower with all the amenities.
My first pregnancy had complications (preeclampsia) I understand.
With my third pregnancy we already had a trip planned so we went. I wish we had rescheduled!

So I'm looking into renting DVC pts. The only 1 bedroom that's in our price range is boardwalk. We could do a studio at any monorail or at Wilderness lodge, (really an studio) or a 1 bd at boardwalk. It could be nice to have a washer drier in room. But IDK if its necessary? The extra sq ft may be nice too, and a dedicate bedroom, so we could put the kids down and not have to be silent in the dark. Any thoughts or opinions?

ETA: Value and Standard AK 1 bd are also in budget. And we will be spending two days not going to the parks. IDK if pools are possible in december. We plan to go to disney springs, and do the monorail christmas tour. but there will be down time in the room.

Last edited:
So I'm looking into renting DVC pts. The only 1 bedroom that's in our price range is boardwalk. We could do a studio at any monorail or at Wilderness lodge, (really an studio) or a 1 bd at boardwalk. It could be nice to have a washer drier in room. But IDK if its necessary? The extra sq ft may be nice too, and a dedicate bedroom, so we could put the kids down and not have to be silent in the dark. Any thoughts or opinions?

ETA: Value and Standard AK 1 bd are also in budget. And we will be spending two days not going to the parks. IDK if pools are possible in december. We plan to go to disney springs, and do the monorail christmas tour. but there will be down time in the room.
Boardwalk std. view will be tough to book through an agency during December. AKV Value will be impossible. Budget for the more costly view (i.e. Boardwalk View or Savannah View) and you have a higher chance of success.

Boardwalk std. view will be tough to book through an agency during December. AKV Value will be impossible. Budget for the more costly view (i.e. Boardwalk View or Savannah View) and you have a higher chance of success.

Does that mean that studios at a monorail and WL would be hard as well?

Does that mean that studios at a monorail and WL would be hard as well?
Studios are the first to book up at any time of the year. 1-bedrooms are the last to go.

WL is popular during the holidays because of it's decor. BWV is popular with renters because of the low point requirements and its location. VGF is small and getting a studio there if you're not dealing directly with an owner would be a stretch. BLT std. views go fast.

IOW, do not count on being able to book the villas that take the lowest amount of points. Even owners who are online right at 8 AM 11 months in advance can find themselves shut out.

Studios are the first to book up at any time of the year. 1-bedrooms are the last to go.

WL is popular during the holidays because of it's decor. BWV is popular with renters because of the low point requirements and its location. VGF is small and getting a studio there if you're not dealing directly with an owner would be a stretch. BLT std. views go fast.

IOW, do not count on being able to book the villas that take the lowest amount of points. Even owners who are online right at 8 AM 11 months in advance can find themselves shut out.

Not trying to be needy, but you seem knowledgeable. Does being flexible on dates help? We would want 7 nights between 11/25 and 12/15. And we can do like 10 different room options between different resorts? Sorry, I know we won't know until we get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter