Debating between Pop Century or Port Orleans Riverside royal room...help!

jacobsmommy

DIS Veteran
we will be at WDW on May 30th. Right now I have Pop booked but am thinking about switching to a royal room at Port Orleans Riverside. We have stayed at Pop twice, but have never stayed at a moderate. We will have a 13 year old and a 9 year old. Give me your pros and cons for both please

I've never stayed at POP but we stayed in a Royal Room about a year ago. My kids absolutely loved it. They played on the magic carpets for so long and loved the firework beds. Having the slide at the pool and the ability to go over to POFQ to use their pool is also a plus.

Go for the royal room, they are at a good age for it. I wish I took my daughter at 9 instead of waiting until 13 (even at 13 she still loved it). Its more peaceful there and the food court is not as hectic. Pop is still good too, but my reasoning is to give the royal room a try just for the experience.

When my DD was a toddler we stayed at the POP and loved it but as we all got older we wanted something less hectic with more amenities. We stayed in a POR RR one year and my DD thought it was very cool. I loved the theme/landscaping at POR and thought that the food court was the best of any resort that we have stayed at.

We have stayed at both resorts I would move. POR is our favorite moderate and we are not big fans of pop.

depends on your travel style...do you plan plenty of resort time, use the pools,relax in the room and food courts? POR for that.... Pop is you are on the go-go-go all the time,since it's less $..... I've done both,and prefer relaxed touring.... so I prefer mods if I have a choice.

POR Queen beds vs. Pop double beds. Plus what others have stated about the peacefulness and food court. It's a large resort, but never feels chaotic or crowded. We find the atmosphere helps calm everyone down after busy parks. My kids enjoy the marshmallow roasting. If you like entertainment, YeHaa Bob is fun and family-friendly at the River Roost.

we will be at WDW on May 30th. Right now I have Pop booked but am thinking about switching to a royal room at Port Orleans Riverside. We have stayed at Pop twice, but have never stayed at a moderate. We will have a 13 year old and a 9 year old. Give me your pros and cons for both please

There's no comparison between Pop and Port Orleans riverside.

Rooms are larger and decorated much nicer. The grounds at Port Orleans are really pretty the pool is fun. You can take a boat to Disney Springs. There's a nice food court and restaurant.

Port Orleans riverside is my favorite moderate resort.

We stayed there this past November and the room looked like it was newly remodeled.

You will not regret staying there.

I love Pop more than POR, but since you've tried Pop and never tried a moderate, I'd say go for it! The royal rooms are amazing!

I've stayed at both and while POR is a lovely resort, I would choose POP over POR. We spend most of our days in the parks and because of that, the difference in bus service is enough alone to make me choose POP. Our wait and ride times (because of multiple stops in POR) put a damper on our trip in may 2016. The size difference in the room is really not a big deal to me and my family. My DH actually preferred the POP room theme.

Like i said before though, POR is lovely and we did enjoy their water slide and restaurant/bar while we were there which POP doesn't have.

I think it boils down to making a choice based on what is and isnt enjoyable and important for your family at Disney.

Agree with PP... what are you looking for in a resort? Is it still within budget? How much time will you be spending at the resorts? We love POR RR... we love that section of the resort, the gardens & river are so beautiful, and love the quiet pools in that area. It's very relaxing after a long day in the parks.

I have a tip for you, if you do end up switching to a POR RR and the buses are too packed leaving the parks at night take the POFQ bus back instead. Those rooms are a short walk from the other resort and since that resort is smaller the buses are not as jam packed.

I would say definitely a royal room. I absolutely adored the royal rooms at riverside resort. I was not a very big fan of pop century

We love both POP and POR RR. Here is why:

POP
one bus stop area
great value resort
saves $$$
lake views from some buildings
walk over the bridge to AoA (all amenities except the pool)
has everything you need for a theme park heavy trip

POR RR
boat to DS
awesome moderate resort, beautiful landscaping
RR's have great over the top theming
RR's are conveniently close to a bridge to the main building/walkway to POFQ
nice themed pool with slide
quiet pool/laundry conveniently between the RR buildings
can walk to and use amenities at POFQ (including the pool)
horse drawn carriage ride available
TS restaurant and good food court
Yee Haa Bob entertainment
Surrey bike rental
queen beds
larger rooms
coffee in room

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter