• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debating between AoA, POR or DVC Rental

krohloff08

Mouseketeer
Hello!
We are taking a trip next November and my girls would really like to stay at AoA. We are a family of 5 (My girls will be 9, 5 and 2) but can still fit into a Little Mermaid Room. I tihnk that we will be way to cramped but a suite would run over $1200 more for the 7 nights right now. I thought maybe we could do a Royal Room at the POR. Does anyone know if those rooms come with a trundle bed?

My last thought was renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at a DVC. We will also have my parents and my brother/sister in law along.

Any feedback so far on how the buses are running for AoA? Do the lines seem longer since it is a larger resort?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

I would look into renting points for a villa. The location of the villas can't be beat. BLT is walking distance to MK if that is where you will spend your time and BC/BW are walking/boat distance to two parks. There is also WL/AK/OKW/SSR. We love the Epcot area villas and have stayed at both many times. You will have two bathrooms at most (BLT and AK have 3, I think), a full kitchen for quick breakfasts, snacks, drinks, and you will have an in rooom washer/drywer which is wonderful so you don't have to pack as much and can return home with clean clothes. Best of all you will have enough room to spread out and not be cramped at all. If the rental price of the points is within your budget I wouldn't hesitate to go with the villa.

If you're looking for just your family you might be able to rent a 1 bd DVC unit since your youngest is 2. You would have a king bed in one room and a queen sleeper in the other room. There has always been a child's fold up bed stored in the closet when we've stayed DVC. The kitchen is nice too. The bathrooms are 2 rooms-one with a garden tub and vanity sink and the other with a shower, toilet and pedestal sink. It's nice because 2 people can bathe and dress at the same time.

I would go with the DVC rental. My family and I usually stay at DVC rentals because we get all of the amenities of a deluxe for about the price of a moderate. The DVC villas also has more room which keeps everyone from getting into each others way. I stayed in a little mermaid room with my mom last October and I think you will a hard time trying to fit 5 people in one room.

I was in the same place you were :). Last year we stayed POR and really thought we might like to stay AoA next year in a Cars suite.....well after checking into pricing and checking into points we decided to rent points and stay DVC this next time. I think we will really like it :). We will see!!! The pricing was cheaper than a suite and room for POR, I am happy!

DVC would be a great option. Personally I would go with AKV or BLT for the extra bathroom. Please do your research on DVC rentals and know both the pros and cons....and yes there are some things that you might consider cons.

I think I have everyone convinced into a DVC rental. That way there are no worries about not having rooms near each other. I would love to stay at BLT but for the cost may end up with AKL. Either way I think we will be happy!

Thanks for the input!

If you do decide to go with a DVC rental for next November, keep in mind that that can be an extremely busy time of year for DVC bookings, especially if you're planning to go towards the end of the month, or if you're looking at BWV or BCV.

Owners can begin booking their home resort at 11 months out from the arrival date, so I'd recommend getting an owner lined up very soon so they can reserve a villa for you at 11 months.

Be sure to remember this "con" about your stay in a DVC villa next November....

It may be very difficult to travel back to Disney after this trip, and not stay in a villa. You may be spoiled by the kitchen, living area and multiple bathrooms. :thumbsup2

Now for the serious advice:

Be sure that, when you place the reservation for a 2 BR villa (if this is in fact what you're looking for), you understand the differences of two distinct styles of units. There are 2 styles of 2BR villas at most of the DVC resorts. A "lock off" 2 BR will feature a living area, a kitchen, a master bedroom suite, and a second bedroom that is actually a connecting "studio" unit. This studio unit will have a queen bed, a pull out sofa (that sleeps 2) and a full bathroom. A "dedicated" 2 bedroom will give you the same living area, kitchen, and master bedroom suite, but the second bedroom will have its own bathroom and 2 queen size beds.

Depending on your plans for sleeping arrangements, this could have an impact on the reservation.

...A "dedicated" 2 bedroom will give you the same living area, kitchen, and master bedroom suite, but the second bedroom will have its own bathroom and 2 queen size beds.

Depending on your plans for sleeping arrangements, this could have an impact on the reservation.

Not all dedicated two bedroom villas will have two queen beds in the second bedroom and not all lockoff two bedroom villas will have a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa. OKW two bedrooms, whether dedicated or lockoff, have two queen beds in the second bedroom. BCV dedicated two bedroom villas may have two queen beds (25 villas) or one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa (all the rest) because some of the dedicated two bedrooms were too small for two queen beds.

BUT all two bedroom villas at BWV and AKV-Jambo House are lockoffs. None are dedicated. So all value two bedroom villas are lockoffs because they are only in Jambo House.

Deb&Bill-

Good clarification.

Seeing that the OP was considering BLT or AKV, I provided the 2BR villa information based on those resorts. And as another poster mentioned "extra bathrooms" at these resorts, my mind automaticlaly went with the Kidani layouts for AKV.

As noted by the others to get some DVC locations in Nov. you will need to book 11 months out, at the very minimum 7 months out.

Also with 3 young children will having no cancellation with a DVC rental be a problem for you. I just know how much can happen in that length of time with small children.

Also with the DVC rental you will not get daily housekeeping, not sure if that is something you enjoy and you will get limited towels and toiletries which are replaced on your Trash and Towel day, the 4th day after check in.

krohloff08 said:
Hello!
We are taking a trip next November and my girls would really like to stay at AoA. We are a family of 5 (My girls will be 9, 5 and 2) but can still fit into a Little Mermaid Room. I tihnk that we will be way to cramped but a suite would run over $1200 more for the 7 nights right now. I thought maybe we could do a Royal Room at the POR. Does anyone know if those rooms come with a trundle bed?

My last thought was renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at a DVC. We will also have my parents and my brother/sister in law along.

Any feedback so far on how the buses are running for AoA? Do the lines seem longer since it is a larger resort?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Having stayed at all 3 of the choices given, I'd rent DVC points. Seven nights in a standard room but would be overwhelming for me. The AoA suites are a nicer size and the resort is adorable. It's very loud though and the food area is fairly chaotic. We only stayed one night to check it out and with the 6 of us, I'm glad that's all we stayed.

We stayed 10 night at the POR in 2007- our first trip. Their food court is much larger and the resort has a more relaxing vibe.

We own DVC and I can't say enough good things about it. I like my space while on vacation. Even though Disney and relaxing don't always go hand in hand, they can. A 2 bedroom DVC would give you a full kitchen. Even if you don't cook, it's so nice to have real snacks and the ability to cook something easy if you want. Plus they've got a washer and dryer. I've stayed at the THV, OKW, and AKV both Jambo and Kidani. I'd rent points if you can. A 2 bedroom at Kidani would also give you a third bathroom. Heaven!

Good luck!

I would go with DVC rental if you can get a booking for your dates.

You will be getting a Deluxe resort for much less than rack rate pricing.

I would also check with Magical Vacations to see if they have any exclusives on your dates as sometimes you can get a deluxe for cost of a moderate.

Good luck and happy planning!

I thought maybe we could do a Royal Room at the POR. Does anyone know if those rooms come with a trundle bed?

They do not. Two Queen beds. A family of five at POR is placed in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort, and there are no Royal Rooms in Alligator Bayou. Also, POR did away with the trundle bed during their recent refurb and now have murphy beds in these rooms. It's a small bed that pulls down from a thing in the wall under the TV. Its only suitable for children 10 and under and it's kind of in the middle of the room - not really out of the way like the trundle used to be.

I like the idea of DVC too. I didn't get to read all the replies but the only downsides I see to DVC is that you have to book so far in advance, no daily housekeeping, and you have to trust the renter to book your dining plan if you want that - and you have to pay for it up front when it's booked. If none of those things matter, its the perfect option!

If it helps at all, we originally booked at AOA Mermaid room. A few factors played a part in changing to POR. One, AOA offers two full sized beds, POR two queens. The walk from AOA to the bus is 10-15 minutes, not even close with a Royal room at POR. After spending the entire day on my feet the last thing I want is a long walk from but to room. Also, I didn't want to walk 10-15 minutes to refill a mug for that matter. By the time I would be back to the room I would need a refill! Lastly, and as an adult you will understand this: AOA has no jacuzzi or hot tubs! At the end of my day, I want somewhere to soak my feet & relax! There wasn't a huge difference in cost but overall, I thought these few things were well worth the change.
Good luck in your decision!

Not all dedicated two bedroom villas will have two queen beds in the second bedroom and not all lockoff two bedroom villas will have a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa. OKW two bedrooms, whether dedicated or lockoff, have two queen beds in the second bedroom. BCV dedicated two bedroom villas may have two queen beds (25 villas) or one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa (all the rest) because some of the dedicated two bedrooms were too small for two queen beds.

BUT all two bedroom villas at BWV and AKV-Jambo House are lockoffs. None are dedicated. So all value two bedroom villas are lockoffs because they are only in Jambo House.
Is it a seperate booking catagory for a lockoff? I was thinking about renting points, but I need to have a lockoff. I would hate to end up getting there and find out I couldn't get a lockoff. Maybe I should stick to BWV or AKV, since all 2BR are lockoff's. My other option is two family suites at AoA.

I'm sorry but I'm the opposite viewpoint here. With girls aged 9, 5 and 2, I'd go for the Little Mermaid building. I just stayed there a couple weeks ago. Now we are four... Me (47) and girls 15, 10 and 4. All three girls from the eldest to the youngest were enthralled by the decor. The youngest proclaimed that it was her favorite room... EVER. She's been in Value and Deluxe resorts including AKL but loves this better.

This is the last year that you can actually stay in a value room (not counting suites). You have girls. They will love the Little Mermaid decorations.

If you are comparing AoA LM to a DVC Studio, I say take AoA. If you are comparing to larger DVC's then maybe a split stay getting one day over at AoA. You mentioned that affordability was important. You will not be spending much time awake in the resort. Most of your time will be in the parks or pools.

Is it a seperate booking catagory for a lockoff? I was thinking about renting points, but I need to have a lockoff. I would hate to end up getting there and find out I couldn't get a lockoff. Maybe I should stick to BWV or AKV, since all 2BR are lockoff's. My other option is two family suites at AoA.
A lock-off is a booking category at those resorts that have dedicated 2-bedroom units as well as lock-offs. Some resorts, as listed by Deb & Bill, do not have dedicated 2-bedroom units. All of the 2-bedroom units at those resorts would be lock-offs. If you book a lock-off through DVC, that is what you will get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter