Death of a pioneer; Sir Freddy Laker

Obi Wan Kenobi

DIS Veteran
I am surprised that this has not been mentioned yet.
The great low cost travel pioneer Sir Freddie Laker has passed away.
He was the pioneer and inspiration for all the LoCo airlines that followed Laker Airways after it was ruthlessly destroyed by the BA/BCal cartel.
The founders of Ryanair, EasyJet and Virgin Atlantic have all said that it was Sir Freddy who inspired them to start their airlines.
Without him, there would be no low priced flights to the USA, nor to Europe

RIP Sir Freddy, You and SkyTrain will be sadly missed :guilty:

Ah, RIP Sir Freddie, much mourning in my office as Sian was an original Laker girl. She remebers the days when they'd weigh each passenger individually before they'd get on board so they could work out the fuel.
Definately a pioneer of travel, as Obi so rightly says

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
He was the pioneer and inspiration for all the LoCo airlines that followed Laker Airways after it was ruthlessly destroyed by the BA/BCal cartel.

It's the reason, along with the dirty tricks campaign against Virgin, that I would never fly BA. Virgin every time for me. RIP Freddie - 1st Class seat for you upstairs.

We flew with Sir Freddie's airline from Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale back in '96. It was one of the most pleasant flying experiences we've ever had and certainly for me one of the most memorable. All the aircraft in the fleet were fitted out to the same standard throughout, no first class, no premium economy, no distinction in class whatsoever. Everyone onboard had the same big blue leather seat, ate from the same china plates with the same stainless steel cutlery as everyone else and watched TV on 7 inch seatback screens (I believe he was one of the first to employ the large-size screens). Not even a leaking toilet water-supply pipe which soaked the carpet at our feet on the return flight could detract from the otherwise excellent service, and the cost was less than the competitors economy fares of the time. RIP Sir Freddie, you may be gone but you will most definitely not be forgotten! :angel:

Both hubby and I worked for Sir Freddie here in Canada in the 70's and have wonderful memories of him and his airline. He was a gentleman and it was an honour to have known him...we still have many friends from Laker that we keep in touch with. Many a sad heart this day :sad2:

Our first flight to Orlando was with Laker in '96. It was the best one we've had. All credit to the man for taking on the might of British Airways, just a shame their dirty tricks won. I, like someone else here pointed out, still dont use BA because of it (that and taking the union flag off the planes).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter