DDE - possible snag in my plan

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
I love the DDE and will be using it for our April trip. Since we are staying at POFQ I was happy to read that the food court takes DDE. So here I am thinking great we can use the discount for quick breakfasts, lunch on pool days and snacks etc. However, I can see my dd's popping in to get a sandwich and DH usually runs down to get breakfast and the DDE is in my name.

It looks like I have to be the one to purchase all the food in order to get the discount, yes? Well, I do need the exercise :)

Of course 75% of the time we will be together, esp at dinnner and TS at the parks but for those quick food court trips I thought my dds could get what they want or even dh. Anyone know if they can use the card or if I have to be present every time?

TIA
TJ

Good question. We also have the DDE card and it's in my name. My DD and 2 DGDs & I will also be going down in April (staying at POFQ, too) and was hoping to send my DD to get us breakfast in the am.;) Hope someone will know the answer.

When we went a lkot of the time my OH could use it, we tried it out even though it was in my name. Or, of oyu need to yuou can get a 2nd card for about $20

While at Pop recently my daughter went up to get the food while I stayed at the table with the baby. She attempted to us my card and they would not let her. They asked for ID and of course she was not me. So I had to run up and stand there while the CM rang up the order. From then on whenever the kids got something in the food court and we were not around, they paid full price. This happened at A/S Movies too. While at Pop 3 weeks ago, hubby was asked for a picture ID 3 times when we used the food court. I have no problem showing our ID, I just wanted to let folks know that they may ask. We've only been asked once for a picture ID at tableservice, but we are asked about 50% of the time when using a resort food court.

When we went a lkot of the time my OH could use it, we tried it out even though it was in my name. Or, of oyu need to yuou can get a 2nd card for about $20

I did consider getting my dh a card but he is only going to be with us for 5 of our 11 days and then I usually take my "mom & me" trips with my dd's so it dosen't make sense to get him one.

I guess if its just a drink in the refillable mug and a snack it may not be worth the trip for 20%. Unfortunately DH usually makes the treck to get breakfast while I am in the shower - its my vacation leisure to be the last ready for the day :)

Either way its nice to get the discount at the food court so we will work something out. Looking forward to hearing more experiences at the All Stars and POFQ -

TJ

I have been asked for ID as well when using my DDE card. Not often but once was enough for me. I started carrying my license as well as my room key after that experience.

Depending on the kid's age, I am wondering if you could just have them use the DDE card along with a debit/credit/room card with your name on it. I would even be tempted to include a letter or note explaining you sent them for whatever and to please accept it in your behalf.
I only wonder because my DDE card is in my name. Usually I pay for the meal with my debit card.
Occasionally DH will take the bill and pay for it with his card.
And recenty we were in a food court (Pop) and his food was taking MUCH longer. I did not want my food to get cold, so I paid, handed the DDE card over to him and he used it when buying his meal.
I was seated nearby if he needed me, and figured one meal was not going to kill us if we paid full price.
But he easily used my DDE card and paid with his debit card.

I have been asked for ID several times while using the DDE, especially at POP, but also at some TS locations.

Thanks for the thoughts - my oldest is 12 and this will be her first trip with some responsibility and freedom. I can see letting her hit the arcade for a while and then getting a drink and a snack for herself.

She is very respsonsible at home and I have no worries. I do plan on letting her have charging privleges on her card as she is very good with $$ and I don't imagine her overspending what she has in cash, even by a dime :) So DDE aside for a minute now you have me wondering, will her ID have her name or mine on it? Just the idea of her charging is going to make my DH crazy though, LOL

TJ

I have been asked for ID several times while using the DDE, especially at POP, but also at some TS locations.

Thinking back the only time I have been asked for my ID with the DDE is at San Angel Inn. Although its usually just me and my dd's and my cc matches the name on the DDE. I have been using one for 3 or so years but this is the first time where there will be a few times we won't all be dining together.

At parks and all TS's we will dine as a family but I can see that during an afternoon by the pool or during our day's off we may not want to eat all at the same time. We will just have to figure out if it is worth the 20% for me to make the treck at that point.

TJ

I've been asked for I.D. more at POFQ than anywhere else, I even said something to the CM about it. She said everyone is supposed to ask, and they're very strict about it here. I know not all CM are the same, so you could try.

I was asked for ID just about every time I used my DDE. I was asked for id when I gave the DDE with my room key to charge or even when I used my Disney Visa to charge. Both had my name on the card.:confused3

At the bar at POFQ, I was asked for my AP and my photo id to get the DDE on a couple of drinks!:goodvibes :goodvibes

Oh well. At least I was at Disney!!!:woohoo: :woohoo:

She is very respsonsible at home and I have no worries. I do plan on letting her have charging privleges on her card as she is very good with $$ and I don't imagine her overspending what she has in cash, even by a dime :) So DDE aside for a minute now you have me wondering, will her ID have her name or mine on it? Just the idea of her charging is going to make my DH crazy though, LOL

TJ

Her card will have her name on it. They changed this a couple of years ago and now everyone has their own name on their room cards. Since DDE card holders must be over age 21, they will know right off the bat that she's not the card holder. You certainly should try, but let us know how it goes. As I mentioned, the food courts are where we are asked for ID more than any other place.

Thanks for the info everyone, especially about having to show my AP as I wouldn't normally carry it around the resort on a non-park day.

I will plan to use the DDE myself and if the kids or dh want something that's worth using discount then I will just go along. If its a small enough item we can skip the discount.

It looks like I will be doing the "mug walk" this year :)

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter