• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DD letter in paper today

WDWMom

DIS Veteran
Our school district just officailly separated it's 2 high schools this year. We are East and West. Well, DD runs cross country but the girl's coach coaches both East and West and the boy's coach does the same. So, they look at themselves as one big team.

In Friday's paper, there was an article about them and it mentioned the word rivals. DD was so upset about them calling her friends rivals she wrote a letter to the editor. Normally she hates to write, but she asked me right away what she could do. I told her to write the editor. I five minutes she had the site up and had started to type. WOW! was all I could think. This really hit a nerve.

Here is her letter...

Athletes are friends, not rivals

To the Editor:

I was disappointed to read that the cross country roundup in Thursday's Sentinel reported that the Chix and the Dux are "rivals." I was offended, as an East cross country runner, to see my friends at West called my enemies.

Every day I go to practice to train with my fellow East runners, along with West runners also. Most of the girls I run with during practice are from West. We not only practice together, but we've become a team. At meets we huddle together before we start running. We also support each other when we run together or apart. And you call this rivalry?

Even though we come as separate schools we leave as one large team. In the future, please do not use the term "rivals" in the newspaper.

Can you tell I am so proud of her :cool1: :cool1:

Wow! Good for her! You should be proud, Mom! ::yes:: This is going to make an awesome LO for her book!

I know. I have been looking everywhere for CC paper, stickers and such so now I can add this to her book.

I just had a thought I would share to other CC moms. I am going to add into DD's book all her times for the season as a journal block or something so she can remember how well she inproved over the season. DD has almost shaved 8 minutes off her first time. We are so proud.

That does have to be a weird situation. We play west this week and east next in football. It is still bizarre to think of them as anything but Zeeland. In fact some of our parents asked why we were playing Zeeland twice! And with a sport like cross country....jeesh! Some editors. Give her a hug for me and tell her we're proud of her up here in Sailor country!

Deb

Way to go Chix or Dux whichever you are you are still a Chix to me a Dutchman.

We're Chix. Thanks everyone. I was just so happy that she decided to do something about a thing that bothered her. We try to teach our children to be advocates for themselves and change things that don't seem right. It's nice to know my kids are actually listening to me. Not that this is a problem in the bigger scheme of life, but it is a start.

You must be very proud of her! That was a really great thing for her to do. My town had a North and South HS. We got the 2nd school when I was in 5th or 6th grade. At first the 2 schools did not compete against each other in sports and everything was fine. By the time I got to HS the 2 schools were competing against each other and it really divided the town. The rivalry was really bad. I am now back in my home town and we are in one HS again. A few years back they were thinking of getting 2 schools again, but because of past history, they have added on a very large extension to the school.

Since this is the first year of separation we will see how it goes. We do play each other. It will be interesting to see what happens when we play each other in football.

Umm...Sue? When those two teams meet on the gridiron...I can already predict the results. West is going to flatten East. If I had to predict a score I'd say about a 35 point spread. Once they reach that I THINK the West coach will behave like a gentleman and not purposely run up the score. Unless it is at a point in the season where the point totals are going to make a difference in a playoff draw.

Deb

I think you are right. West is ranked #9 in the state as of today and East is 0-3. Are you coming down for the game on Fri? Is you DS still playing football? If you are coming down, want to get together? Not our team, but we know one of the boys on the west team and would like to see him play. We might come up to Msk next weekend for the game. My parents are coming in for the weekend to watch Kyle play football on Sat., but Mike would be home to get them settled.

Let me know. I think a bunch of Keli's friends might like to travel and watch the game (East's).

I'm at all the games Sue! DS isn't playing anymore - that knee injury he took his soph year and then made worse by all the hiking that summer without telling us it was still a problem basically ended his days on the field. Drop me an email and we can chat about the details that way!

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter