DD just fried NEW phone

I dropped a phone, took several days, but finally dried out . Give it another week or so !

I bought a new phone off of E-Bay instead of paying the big $$ when my phone decided to quite working before time for an upgrade. It works so well that I plan to purchase my next one off of E-Bay to avoid having to renew my contract for 2 years just to get a free upgrade

No insurance on the phone? Next time you might want to get a warantee from square trade.

When they offered me insurance, I told DD that her insurance policy was her dad's old Razr. Costs me absolutely nothing, and she doesn't get a shiny new phone if she's clumsy or careless with hers! :thumbsup2

When they offered me insurance, I told DD that her insurance policy was her dad's old Razr. Costs me absolutely nothing, and she doesn't get a shiny new phone if she's clumsy or careless with hers! :thumbsup2
I guess we just disagree. I dont want to suffer the loss of an expensive piece of electronic equipment because of an accident. I can insure against it for a few dollars. The op is now in a situation where she will need to get a cheap phone somehow. The insurance would have been cheaper and the replacement would have been a phone of equal quality and features.

I guess we just disagree. I dont want to suffer the loss of an expensive piece of electronic equipment because of an accident. I can insure against it for a few dollars. The op is now in a situation where she will need to get a cheap phone somehow. The insurance would have been cheaper and the replacement would have been a phone of equal quality and features.

I have insurance on both of my sons phones, DS broke his phone about a year ago and the replacement was still going to cost me 50.00. I am not sure if I will continue with the coverage. 5 dollars a month and 50.00 for a new phone seems to be more costly in the long run.

Good luck drying out the phone.

I have insurance on both of my sons phones, DS broke his phone about a year ago and the replacement was still going to cost me 50.00. I am not sure if I will continue with the coverage. 5 dollars a month and 50.00 for a new phone seems to be more costly in the long run.

Good luck drying out the phone.
Thats why I went with a square trade warranty instead of a one from the phone company. Although you cant get insurance on an iphone from att. Thats a story for another time. Anyway, with the square trade warranty you pay it all up front. But they will prorate it and rebate the balance anytime you want to cancel. Plus the warranty goes for two years. It covers me all the way up until the time that Im eligible for an upgrade or contract renewal. No deductible for normal use failures after manufacturers warranty expires. Fifty dollar deductible for drops or spills. Fifty dollars plus the ninety nine for the warranty on an iphone is still cheaper than the cost of a new one if I need to replace it before Im eligible to get an upgrade (iphone 4 is nearly six hundred dollars). Of course its a gamble. Im betting that the phone is going to break or fail before two years are up. Square trade is betting that apple makes a quality product and that my kids are going to be careful with there phone.

We might have a different definition of a "few dollars." Mine would have been quite a bit (don't remember how much, but I decided over the life of the phone it simply wasn't worth it). No one in my family has ever lost or damaged a phone, so it just didn't seem like a good deal to us. If we had a habit of flushing our phones I might think differently. ;-)

Thats why I went with a square trade warranty instead of a one from the phone company. Although you cant get insurance on an iphone from att. Thats a story for another time. Anyway, with the square trade warranty you pay it all up front. But they will prorate it and rebate the balance anytime you want to cancel. Plus the warranty goes for two years. It covers me all the way up until the time that Im eligible for an upgrade or contract renewal. No deductible for normal use failures after manufacturers warranty expires. Fifty dollar deductible for drops or spills. Fifty dollars plus the ninety nine for the warranty on an iphone is still cheaper than the cost of a new one if I need to replace it before Im eligible to get an upgrade (iphone 4 is nearly six hundred dollars). Of course its a gamble. Im betting that the phone is going to break or fail before two years are up. Square trade is betting that apple makes a quality product and that my kids are going to be careful with there phone.

Just to be clear, the standard warranty on an iPhone is 1 year. If you pay for it with many credit cards, that warranty is doubled. So essentially, the 2 year warranty for failure other than from loss or injury, is free.

AT&T let's you pay the upgrade price after 1 year, so the replacement cost is $199. So Square Trade covers the significantly higher cost for loss/damage during the first year and saves about $60 the second year. While this might provide value for some, there are many for whom the value is not that clear. -- Suzanne

I have i wirless which is a a verizon comapny i think. I bought a new Noekiea express muisc in january beccuse my other phone got wet. We were smart and got insurnece on it. In june it was stolen on the city bus on my way to work. There was a $100.00 ductuible on the phone this is a $250.00 phone. I paid the ductuble got the phone in the mail and there were text on it from some one who i had no clue who they were then they were calling me so i had to change my number. it was frustrting. the morle of this insurnece is good in my case but frustring also.

Well good news...we waited til last night and charged the battery back up and its working pretty good. Im hoping the rice did the trick drying it out and im hoping it didnt get soaked. She said she grabbed it out as soon as it plunked in, so hoping it stays working good. Thanks for all the suggestions. Ive warned her not to take the phone to the toilet again and that if she does it again, she's getting a cheapo phone until she's ready for an upgrade in 2 years.

DD just got an upgrade to a brand new Samsung Reality. It's a 249 phone, but since we upgraded we only paid about 25 for it. Anyway, she had it in her back pocket and was going potty and well Im sure you know the rest...plunk right in the toilet. Its fried. We put it in a bag of rice to dry it out overnight but its toast. The worst part is we just got rid of the last spare old phone we had lying around, so now she is completely without a phone and that wouldnt bother me except she's 16 and is involved in a lot of afterschool activities and its our only line to each other for pickups and such. Im hoping I can get her something really cheap from the Verizon store since we are going to have to dip into emergency fund to do it, but I know she's going to be heartbroke to lose this great phone that she's only had since the end of August. Oh well, I guess lesson learned. Why do I feel so crummy for her?

Good Luck - my MIL dropped her Samsung flip phone in the toilet, just last week.

Normally, I would buy a prepaid handset and just do an ESN swap from Verizon Wireless' website, but they recently changed their policies to where you cannot "swap" from a contract phone to a handset that was originally requisitioned as a prepaid.

As for "cheap at a Verizon store" -- yeah, you can get one on the cheap, but your contract will reset itself meaning you will be committed to VZW for another two years.

Forget online -- the only reconditioned phones VZW sells, there are a few smartphones.

So, I dug out one of my old phones (in this case, a Moto RAZR) and did the swap online -- now, she's good to go.

FYI just purchased a replacement phone off ebay and Square Trade only offered a warranty that does NOT cover drops or spills. Said that is not covered. They say sometimes they 'may' offer an additional warranty that cost extra that will cover that but it was not offered on this phone and it was listed as Mint which it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter