DCL + WDW trip - rent points or pay cash?

Infamousmare

I didn't make it all the way through 3rd grade for
So now that I'm really looking into combining a DCL + WDW vacay next September, I've started doing research on the boards and found several threads in which people offer to "rent" points.

We are not DVC members - looked into it, but realized we may not want to own that kind of responsibility, especially if we're not sure we'll vacay at WDW indefinitely.

When someone offers points for rent, are they only available to DVC members? Is there a way for non DVC members to rent/purchase points to use for DCLs or WDW? If so, when someone gives the price per point (say, $12 per point, for argument's sake), does that JUST cover the cost of the villa? Additionally, can one get free dining or pin codes when using DVC points? I'm not sure how to calculate the cost of points vs. cash because, well, I'm not sure what they cover. :)

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to be sure we leave no stone unturned. :-)

UPDATE: Wasn't quite sure where this should go. Please feel free to move this thread if need be!

From what I understand (also not DVC owner, which I was though!, but also seriously looked into renting), the points are JUST for the villa/room(s). You would have to purchase tix & dining separately.

As a DVC owner let me tell you that all you can get for points is a room. That's it. No free dinning, tickets or anything. Also do not rent points to go on DCl. The points required to go on DCl are ridiculous. You most likely would save money by paying cash for DCl. .

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thank you all for your info! This is why I love the Disboards - honest answers. :lovestruc :thumbsup2

I want to add that we rented points this past weekend - 52 pts for 3 nights at Old Key West. It was $10/point thru The Timeshare Store. We paid $520 flat. Best $520 I've spent in a long time. I highly recommend renting points. Very easy & huge value.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I want to add that we rented points this past weekend - 52 pts for 3 nights at Old Key West. It was $10/point thru The Timeshare Store. We paid $520 flat. Best $520 I've spent in a long time. I highly recommend renting points. Very easy & huge value.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

But you have to be a DVC member to do this, right?

But you have to be a DVC member to do this, right?

You have to be someone who wants to stay on property but not pay rack rates for it type of person!!
Anyone can rent points, but obviously only a DVC member can offer them out.

It's a great way of experiencing staying on property without the large costs. You can either rent points from a company (like the PP above), or from owners here on the Disboards.

One thing you will need to know is that if you want to stay at OKW for instance, owners at OKW can book that accommodation 11 months in advance. For any other resort, they could only book at 7 months. Same for all owners ... They can book their own resort at 11, but others at 7.

Some resorts are easier to secure than others and within each resort, some types of rooms are easier than others. AKV concierge is really hard to get at 7 months so you'd definitely need someone who owns at AKV for that choice.

Work out what resort you want, them what type of room, then look up the DVC Points Chart for your holiday time and see how many points you need. Use the PPs example of approx $10 per point and go from there.

We own at OKW and its the best thing we ever did. Never use the points for a cruise though!!

Hope that helps

Joa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter