DCL Open Bar Questions!

nearlyfallinstar

The line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me!
So my cruise page is setting up the Open Bar experience through DCL. Us drinking adults are signing up for the Premium Package. I already know that you have to sign up for a single alcohol package, but you can sign up for a non-alcohol smoothie package for kids (but each group has to have 25 people). Here are the questions I have if anyone can help:

Do all adults have to sign up for the alcohol package or can 25+ adults sign up for a smoothie package for the same event?

If non-alcohol drinkers are permitted to buy the smoothie package, do they separate the packages some way (wristbands)?

So far we have 45+ people signed up with a month still open for sign ups. Does anyone know what venue DCL uses for larger groups?

:thanks:

I can only comment on how our cruise group ran and it may not be the most up to date (I’d contact DCL and run these by them). On ours all adults had to get the bar package but we could order the smoothies if we wanted. Some folks switched to smoothies half way through because the drinks were catching up with people. I had heard on another ship they let adults pay the lower price so it could have changed/or our organizer didn’t want to mess with it.

We weren’t given wristbands but again all adults had paid for the higher bar package.

We were in the Tube on the Fantasy.

We had to have the payment in 35 days before sail date (it might be only 30 days but the organizer wanted a cushion).

I can only comment on how our cruise group ran and it may not be the most up to date (I’d contact DCL and run these by them). On ours all adults had to get the bar package but we could order the smoothies if we wanted. Some folks switched to smoothies half way through because the drinks were catching up with people. I had heard on another ship they let adults pay the lower price so it could have changed/or our organizer didn’t want to mess with it.

We weren’t given wristbands but again all adults had paid for the higher bar package.

We were in the Tube on the Fantasy.

We had to have the payment in 35 days before sail date (it might be only 30 days but the organizer wanted a cushion).
Thank you for confirming that adults can get non-alcoholic options at the event. I told them that they probably could get smoothies even if they had to pay for the Premium package to attend. I'm only running the spreadsheet for the event, so I haven't been in contact with DCL personally. Thank you!

We had a group that let adults sign up for the lower package. I don't think anyone did. Initially they were going to let kids in for the lower package, but many didn't like that idea so they made it adults only. They had wristbands for people who paid and assume they just had different colors for the non-alcohol people. If you pay for the alcohol you can also get the non-alcohol drinks (i.e. smoothies). The open bar is a cool thing. You only get an hour so expect to be a little wobbly afterwards. It was a great way to try drinks you aren't sure you will like or get ideas from other people. The more people that you register the more bartenders and servers they assign. Also, everyone must pay in advance to get the reservation. There is a lot of pressure on the person organizing because they are financially responsible and also have to tell people it is full. We would do it again.

I am going to be so smashed on my next cruise (well for me that is). Of the 14 days I have 2 open bars and 3 tastings scheduled. Plus I know I'll get the sail away drink and a drink or two on CC. I normally drink about three times a year.

:drinking1

Wow...you learn something knew everyday on the Dis. I don't I have heard of the Open Bar thing before. Sounds interesting.

MJ
Our group did one on our 2014 EBTA. It was a blast. I have this great picture of me and few friends at a table literally covered with glasses of Vodka and Cranberry. Trivia was right after our open bar event and most of us stayed. It was hilarious...to us, at least. Not sure the sober folks had as much fun. lol

What is the per/person cost for open bar?

When we did ours, there were different package prices based on quality of the booze. I think we paid like $18 for the higher level brands. I think it was about $14 for the lesser package. The non-alcohol package was about $10. I believe you have to book these as a private group, money up front. We did it through FB. You need 1 person to collect the money and pay several weeks before the cruise. It's usually not hard getting enough interest but you need someone willing to put in time to organize the list. Also, the time slots Disney gives you isn't always the best. I think ours started at 5 and ran into first seating.

Our group did one on our 2014 EBTA. It was a blast. I have this great picture of me and few friends at a table literally covered with glasses of Vodka and Cranberry. Trivia was right after our open bar event and most of us stayed. It was hilarious...to us, at least. Not sure the sober folks had as much fun. lol

Any plans to share the picture? :rotfl2:

Kate

One of our cruises did this and it was a blast. We were a Halloween cruise and they did a special themed drink. It was a great idea so they had a massive dispenser they could get drinks out quickly. The bartender sent me back with a non-alcoholic smoothie for my son because we were talking about leaving to get dressed for our dinner. We also met some really nice people that way that we kept running into after the event. You will have a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter