DCL on local news

TestingH2O

DIS Veteran
This sorry aired last night.

https://amp.local10.com/news/local/...eatened-her-family-amid-disney-cruise-dispute

My question is why did she think the rules didn't apply to her? Nowhere does it say you can cruise past 24 weeks with a doctor's note. It just says you may not cruise.

Not sure about the rest of it in terms of the security. My first instruct is that cruises are like flights and security is taken seriously so of course they are going to be stern.

Isn't security hired by port, not Disney? Most reading article would think Disney security smirked and laughed.

People's ire from article should be directed correctly.

I also don't like how article said family was"barred" from boarding. Makes it sound like guards were standing in front of them with arms crossed, while I bet the check in agent told them politely and apologetically. Then when family member got upset it attracted attention of guard. Guard may have acted inappropriately.

I hate when you have to read between the lines to get the real story.

I wonder how far in advance they booked? Doesn't excuse trying to circumvent the rules, but if they booked a year ago she may not even have been thinking about getting pregnant. Good for DCL to give her a refund but they were by no means obligated, unless they had insurance.

I wonder how far in advance they booked? Doesn't excuse trying to circumvent the rules, but if they booked a year ago she may not even have been thinking about getting pregnant. Good for DCL to give her a refund but they were by no means obligated, unless they had insurance.

During online check in the question is asked if there are any members of the travelling party who will be 24 weeks or more pregnant. Also, in the cruise contract that must be signed before finalizing online check in the pregnancy clause is in there as well.
She knew 100% that she was not following the rules and decided a doctors note would be sufficient to sail. She was wrong.
I am annoyed that DCL gave them the money back as they really did not have to. It is definitely a generous gesture.

I don't blame family for trusting doctor when doctor told them ok to go. They probably didn't even thinking of checking Disney rules after doctor gave ok.

Kudos to Disney for giving refund so they can rebook when baby is old enough

During On line check in the question is asked if there is anyone in the travelling party who will be 24 weeks pregnant at time of sailing. Had she checked the no box and called DCL to find out more information, this would have been avoided entirely. Her doctor has no reason to NOT give her the note saying she can travel, he/she does not determine the rules of cruise lines or airlines and is only able to reasonably state she is healthy enough to travel.

The response of the port authorities does not surprise me. At the end of February after disembarking the dream, one person in our group of 11 had lost her driver’s license at Castaway Cay during the cruise. DCL printed and signed a form showing she was who she claimed and included the picture that they took at the beginning of the cruise (she had been using a drivers license and birth certificate and not a passport). When going through customs she explained the situation to the man and showed the form and her birth certificate and he started giving her a hard time. I had already gone through and noticed that she wasn’t getting through, so I paused (about 50 feet away) and asked if everything was ok. I didn’t want to leave her stranded as I left the building and I was one of the people in charge of our group. The customs man started yelling at me to “get back and leave the area!” And told her he was going to lock her and me up. I stopped and stared trying to decide what to do next, still not wanting to completely leave her, and he kept yelling at me. It was the strangest and most inappropriate outburst. I finally left worried I was making it worse for her and me, and the guy did finally let her through. She had less of a hassle with TSA at the airport. So I’m not surprised about the armed guards.

I don't blame family for trusting doctor when doctor told them ok to go. They probably didn't even thinking of checking Disney rules after doctor gave ok.

Kudos to Disney for giving refund so they can rebook when baby is old enough
And should they give her another refund when she shows up to port with a baby too young to sail?

I'm curious to know how does DCL know how many weeks along you are? I know she had a note but for anyone else do they just ask and take your word? Do you have to have a doctor's note?

When it came to news, it used to be "If it bleeds it leads" now I feel like it's more "If It's Disney it leads"

I'm curious to know how does DCL know how many weeks along you are? I know she had a note but for anyone else do they just ask and take your word? Do you have to have a doctor's note?

It would depend on your honesty level and taking the chance that this type of scenario would happen. She brought the doctors note along KNOWING she was past the 24 weeks at time of sailing..otherwise why bring it at all. Her You Tube video is getting lots of hits and I am sure her VLOG is doing pretty well too.

The response of the port authorities does not surprise me. At the end of February after disembarking the dream, one person in our group of 11 had lost her driver’s license at Castaway Cay during the cruise. DCL printed and signed a form showing she was who she claimed and included the picture that they took at the beginning of the cruise (she had been using a drivers license and birth certificate and not a passport). When going through customs she explained the situation to the man and showed the form and her birth certificate and he started giving her a hard time. I had already gone through and noticed that she wasn’t getting through, so I paused (about 50 feet away) and asked if everything was ok. I didn’t want to leave her stranded as I left the building and I was one of the people in charge of our group. The customs man started yelling at me to “get back and leave the area!” And told her he was going to lock her and me up. I stopped and stared trying to decide what to do next, still not wanting to completely leave her, and he kept yelling at me. It was the strangest and most inappropriate outburst. I finally left worried I was making it worse for her and me, and the guy did finally let her through. She had less of a hassle with TSA at the airport. So I’m not surprised about the armed guards.
Depending on the port you disembarked at, the majority of the ports the governmental authority of the ports is with Customs and Immigration control, and in some cases TSA. Those people are ALL staffed by the port authority and the cruise lines have no input on what they do or where they go with in the port facility, is it is the Port of Entry to the United States and they have total control of all passengers disembarking. Granted the Customs Officer or who ever he was went overboard yelling and threatening to lock you up. But it's not surprising they have a hair trigger for confrontations, or for any difficult passengers (not that I'm saying you or the other person was difficult). Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, if the person is truly who they say they are and are dealing with lost identification there are many means electronically to verify someone's ID and process then back into the country. I am sure they've dealt with lost ID's in the past at ports of entry and have solutions in place to remedy any complications.

All they needed to do was say 22 weeks or whatever. Unless she had a MD state she was X amount. It was all based on word.

It’s odd, a lot of people don’t even know. Disney should refund the fare for not allowing the travel. Especially if they booked well in advance.

All they needed to do was say 22 weeks or whatever. Unless she had a MD state she was X amount. It was all based on word.

It’s odd, a lot of people don’t even know. Disney should refund the fare for not allowing the travel. Especially if they booked well in advance.
Honestly some don’t care what the rules are. I have a coworker who plans to fly in May when she is 36 weeks pregnant. Her dr recommended not flying after 35 weeks, but she will “only” be 36 weeks so she thinks it’s ok. The dr told her to come in again right before her flight and he would reassess her. I’m not sure she even bothered to check with the airline to see if they’ll even let her fly. (Airline rules vary widely)

Honestly some don’t care what the rules are. I have a coworker who plans to fly in May when she is 36 weeks pregnant. Her dr recommended not flying after 35 weeks, but she will “only” be 36 weeks so she thinks it’s ok. The dr told her to come in again right before her flight and he would reassess her. I’m not sure she even bothered to check with the airline to see if they’ll even let her fly. (Airline rules vary widely)
She can just say 33.

"...went through security and even boarded the cruise but as they waited for their room keys, crew members, singled her out. For being pregnant."

How did they get onboard without their KTTW?
They got a full refund from DCL, which, from what I understand, DCL isn't obligated to do. Especially since the rest of her family could've gone on the cruise without her.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter