DCL Mediterranean Magic Add-on

The only difference between the two groups was the order for the Naples portions. Our group went swimming first then pizza making. I don't know if there's any advantage to doing one or the other first. We certainly were never hungry as they kept feeding us, plus I would probably enjoy jumping into the sea not as full as I was after eating an entire pizza.

Not speaking from experience, but one benefit of going to Capri and jumping into the Med first might be that the crowds at Capri might not as crowded as it was for us going after Lunch. We took 4 small buses to the Farm and then the buses to a ferry that took us to Capri and then we transferred to a small boat to go out to see The Scugnizzo and then back in Capri, we went for Gelato and then free time to shop, before catching a ferry back to the port in Naples.

My understanding is yours and the one after were the only doubled adventures for the Med.
When I called ABD about something a while back, they told me my 6/30 add-on was at 44 people. So that matches.

Also, lucky1 or virtuoso1989, could you tell me what time the Welcome and Farewell Receptions were? Trying to make sure my ticketed meet & greet times don’t conflict. Thanks!

When I called ABD about something a while back, they told me my 6/30 add-on was at 44 people. So that matches.

Also, lucky1 or virtuoso1989, could you tell me what time the Welcome and Farewell Receptions were? Trying to make sure my ticketed meet & greet times don’t conflict. Thanks!

For the May 26: the welcome reception was at 10:00 and lasted about an hour on the first sea day. We had Palo's brunch at noon. Frozen at 2:15 Farewell reception was at 5pm on the last sea day. (Note that food and drinks were abundant at both events). Mathgeek, I think you will find that shipboard activities will take a back seat to the ABD items. We took the opportunity to go to the informational sessions they had on both sea days with our guides, which they gave us more information about future ABD and just a chance to get to know our guides (and our shadow guides as well). Those were held at 2pm on the first and last sea day. On the last sea day it seemed we almost everyone from the family join the information session and figure out how to book an ABD placeholder.

FYI.. leave your self some time at the airport on the way home to process your VAT forms to get your money back. We were in a line behind United counter and it was so long, we never were able to process some of ours for refund. The ones done on the Ship, we were able to run it through the kiosk and put it in the box to be processed.

Our welcome reception was at 2pm on the first sea day. There was the hospitality desk also (forgot what time) like lucky1 said but on the first sea day, nobody came.
The farewell reception was at 5pm but bingo in Fathoms was delayed so ours was 5:30 to 6:30. We were then a little late for the pre-dinner show.

Thank you both for the info. That helps.

FYI.. leave your self some time at the airport on the way home to process your VAT forms to get your money back. We were in a line behind United counter and it was so long, we never were able to process some of ours for refund. The ones done on the Ship, we were able to run it through the kiosk and put it in the box to be processed.
Isn’t there a minimum purchase threshold to get a VAT refund? I don’t think I’ve ever spent enough to qualify for it.

Thank you both for the info. That helps.

Isn’t there a minimum purchase threshold to get a VAT refund? I don’t think I’ve ever spent enough to qualify for it.

The minimum is in Euros, and during our sailing, converted to around $108, per single receipt.

I have. :rolleyes1

Sayhello
lol... not in general, but did this trip. Unfortunately given the long line at the airport we donated the VAT to the EU for one of our receipts.

Lol! :)

I thought it was something like that. I don’t typically spend that much total on souvenirs on a trip like this, let alone in a single purchase!
We stopped at a gold shop in Florence and thinking I would pick up a trinket from the trip, until I saw the price. I about fainted. They will point out a wine shop that you can have cases shipped back to the US :jester:

lol... not in general, but did this trip. Unfortunately given the long line at the airport we donated the VAT to the EU for one of our receipts.

We stopped at a gold shop in Florence and thinking I would pick up a trinket from the trip, until I saw the price. I about fainted. They will point out a wine shop that you can have cases shipped back to the US :jester:
I usually don't, either. The 2 trips I did was this one (the Med cruise add-on) and London/Paris. On the add-on, I fell in love with a cameo brooch in the little shop they take you to outside the Vatican. I, too, almost fainted when I saw the price, but the damage was already done; I was in love! (And I still love it!) London/Paris, I wanted *something* from the Champs-Elysees, and the only thing I found that I even vaguely wanted was a cashmere scarf. Yes, not exactly cheap (although way cheaper than the brooch!) I, too, unfortunately donated the VAT at Charles de Gaulle, as the regular lines were SO long, I never would have made my flight if I even thought about getting in line for the VAT refund. (A good choice, as I barely made my flight as it was, with a mere 10 minutes to spare - and that was with getting there 3 hours early!!!)

Sayhello

One more question if you don't mind. How do they figure the number of days for gratuities for the Med add-on? I'm doing a 7 night cruise, so is it considered to be 7 days? 8 days?

One more question if you don't mind. How do they figure the number of days for gratuities for the Med add-on? I'm doing a 7 night cruise, so is it considered to be 7 days? 8 days?

Adventure Guide Gratuities
Gratuities for your Adventure Guides are not included. Based on the quality of service you have received, we suggest the following gratuity guidelines. Please note that this is for each member of your traveling party, per Adventure Guide, per day.

Per Adult/Child/Per Adventure Guide/Per Day—$8 - $11 USD

Example:

• For a 7-day cruise adventure, the Adventure Guide gratuity per Guest, per Adventure Guide: $56 - $77 USD.
  • A family of 4 for a 7-day cruise adventure: $224 - $308 USD per Adventure Guide. For 2 Adventure Guides, this is a total of $448 - $616 USD.

The Adventure Guides gratuity can be paid in U.S dollars, local currency, travelers' checks or PayPal. Please check with your Adventure Guide if they accept PayPal.

Adventure Guide Gratuities
Gratuities for your Adventure Guides are not included. Based on the quality of service you have received, we suggest the following gratuity guidelines. Please note that this is for each member of your traveling party, per Adventure Guide, per day.

Per Adult/Child/Per Adventure Guide/Per Day—$8 - $11 USD

Example:

• For a 7-day cruise adventure, the Adventure Guide gratuity per Guest, per Adventure Guide: $56 - $77 USD.
  • A family of 4 for a 7-day cruise adventure: $224 - $308 USD per Adventure Guide. For 2 Adventure Guides, this is a total of $448 - $616 USD.

The Adventure Guides gratuity can be paid in U.S dollars, local currency, travelers' checks or PayPal. Please check with your Adventure Guide if they accept PayPal.
Yes, thank you. I saw that example in my booklet and on the website. I just didn't know if it's considered 7 days since that's the example given for the Med add-on or an 8 day adventure since it is described as 8 days/7 nights. To me a 7-day cruise would be 6 nights long.

Yes, thank you. I saw that example in my booklet and on the website. I just didn't know if it's considered 7 days since that's the example given for the Med add-on or an 8 day adventure since it is described as 8 days/7 nights. To me a 7-day cruise would be 6 nights long.
We just got back from our ABD Med. Cruise on Sunday, and we tipped James and Pamm for 7 days. They meet you in the cruise terminal on Saturday and are with you every day through Friday at the farewell reception. You do not see them on the final Saturday as they are preparing for the next group coming on the ship.

We tipped for 7 days too. I was wondering because technically it was a 4 day trip (for the excursions). Of course they were doing things the other days that served adventurers too, like the welcome day and hospitality desk plus parties, so we still gave for 7 days and didnt feel bad about it. In any case they do try to make everything perfect, so i believe it was well deserved.

We just got back from our ABD Med. Cruise on Sunday, and we tipped James and Pamm for 7 days. They meet you in the cruise terminal on Saturday and are with you every day through Friday at the farewell reception. You do not see them on the final Saturday as they are preparing for the next group coming on the ship.

We tipped for 7 days too. I was wondering because technically it was a 4 day trip (for the excursions). Of course they were doing things the other days that served adventurers too, like the welcome day and hospitality desk plus parties, so we still gave for 7 days and didnt feel bad about it. In any case they do try to make everything perfect, so i believe it was well deserved.

Thank you both! That's exactly what I was looking for.

One more question if anyone is still following this thread...

Attire...there are a couple days that I know require specific attire - covered knees, shoulders and closed toe shoes I think? I think it's Rome and Villefranche? I just want to make sure I pack enough of the right stuff. Also, swimsuit for Capri...is a two-piece ok for the ladies or one-piece?

Thanks!

One more question if anyone is still following this thread...

Attire...there are a couple days that I know require specific attire - covered knees, shoulders and closed toe shoes I think? I think it's Rome and Villefranche? I just want to make sure I pack enough of the right stuff. Also, swimsuit for Capri...is a two-piece ok for the ladies or one-piece?

Thanks!

The only location that you needed to have your Knees and shoulders covered. was at the Vatican and if you plan to go into any other churches in Italy, like in Florence. For Naples, Capri, yes, bring or wear swimsuits and 2 pieces are okay for women. Their is an opportunity to change into your suit at Lunch before going to Capri and I would suggest you do that or wear it because the ferry ride over is very crowded and may not have an opportunity for the bathroom.

Hello, Everyone! Total newbie here. Thinking of an ABD Mediterranean cruise summer 2020 for a big graduation/anniversary year. It wasn't clear to me - do you pay for the cruise itself and then pay for the ABD as an "add on" on top of it? If so, we are soooooo outpriced...

Hello, Everyone! Total newbie here. Thinking of an ABD Mediterranean cruise summer 2020 for a big graduation/anniversary year. It wasn't clear to me - do you pay for the cruise itself and then pay for the ABD as an "add on" on top of it? If so, we are soooooo outpriced...

Yes, they are separate products so it's DCL and ABD add on added together.
Congrats on your graduation and anniversary celebrations (a little early!) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!