DCL first time cruise

Dan Kiernan

daytonadan
We are going on our first Disney Dream cruise in March 2021. My question is; do we receive a lanyard when we receive our cards or do we have to purchase them prior to arriving? thank you for your assistance with this.

We are going on our first Disney Dream cruise in March 2021. My question is; do we receive a lanyard when we receive our cards or do we have to purchase them prior to arriving? thank you for your assistance with this.
First time DCL cruisers do not get a lanyard. If you want one, you need to buy one yourself, either before boarding or onboard (I believe they are about $8 onboard). Returning DCL cruisers (second and subsequent cruises) get a lanyard at check-in.

Something to consider - our experience is that it is easier to throw the key card in a pocket (if you have one). The lanyard seemed like more trouble than it was worth. Others like them.

Something to consider - our experience is that it is easier to throw the key card in a pocket (if you have one). The lanyard seemed like more trouble than it was worth. Others like them.
Lanyards used to be more effort when you had to take the KTTW card out of them to open the door. But now it's not necessary, with the embedded chip in them.

True. For me, I don't love something hanging from my neck and swinging around like that.
I don't really have that problem. Except for our first cruise, when I sunburned my neck/shoulders at Castaway Cay the first day out. I then wore the lanyard around my waist.

You can buy lanyards and plastic sleeves cheaply off Amazon. They have a ton of designs. Also, if you have pin trading lanyards, you could add a sleeve to those. We have purchased lanyards from the Wizarding World at Universal too.

You will receive a lanyard from your second cruise on. We usually just purchase a Disney themed lanyard at the gift store which denotes the year of the cruise for memory purposes. As the Disney "dad", I usually get assigned the task of "wearing" the lanyard for our family unless our only daughter has pins that she wants to display. The DCL lanyards are pretty bland and just color coded according to Castaway Club level. They never match what my wife is wearing so she never wears one. I also prefer the gift store purchased ones because they hold together using velcro and therefore feel much safer to wear. Hope this helps.

highly recommend buying lanyards before the cruise. If you have kids, buy some pins as well for trading

highly recommend buying lanyards before the cruise. If you have kids, buy some pins as well for trading
Do all the cruises typically have pin trading? We are going on our first Disney cruise this year and remember doing this at Disneyland when I was younger. I still have all mine from about 20 years ago and think it would be fun to get our little guy set up with a lanyard. ✨

Do all the cruises typically have pin trading? We are going on our first Disney cruise this year and remember doing this at Disneyland when I was younger. I still have all mine from about 20 years ago and think it would be fun to get our little guy set up with a lanyard. ✨
The cruises I've been on have all had a pin trading activity. And you could always trade not at an organized activity.

That said, who know what sorts of activities may or may not be allowed once cruising restarts.

We were at Vero Beach last month, and noticed they had a pin trading board, to allow for contactless pin trading. If there is any kind of pin trading on the ships once cruising resumes, it will probably be contactless.

A lanyard is a good idea for a child, anyway, just so he has a place to put his Key to the World card when he's around the ship. If he were to get separated & lost, the card would have your cabin number on it.

We were at Vero Beach last month, and noticed they had a pin trading board, to allow for contactless pin trading. If there is any kind of pin trading on the ships once cruising resumes, it will probably be contactless.

A lanyard is a good idea for a child, anyway, just so he has a place to put his Key to the World card when he's around the ship. If he were to get separated & lost, the card would have your cabin number on it.
Thank you! I appreciate all the insight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter