DCL excursion Lysefjord by Land and Sea - Stavanger, Norway

dvcdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi. I was wondering if anyone who has done the Lysefjord by Land and Sea excursion through DCL in Stavanger could provide some information.

I understand that there is a 3hr cruise through Rodne Cruise that costs much less. But since the DCL excursion is not just a cruise, I was wondering about whether the experience is worth the extra cost.

The description says that there is a stop at Bakernes Paradis for about an hour. Does this provide a unique experience? What did you think of it? Would you visit here again?

And it looks like the actual cruise will be leaving from Bakernes Paradis instead of Stavanger, so it would be a bit different. And the description is a bit vague. It only specified Pulpit Rock but didn't name others. Were you able to see the other main sites ie Vagabond's Cave, Hengjane Falls?

I would appreciate any reviews of your experiences with this. Thanks!

We wanted to take this excursion through DCL, but it was sold out by the time Silver CC members got to book. We independently booked the Rodne cruise, which was wonderful. The boat was right there where the Magic docked and it took you out to the fjord and back again. Our boat took us near the island where we saw the Troll's Heart, but we could not get off.

Our neighbors took the land and sea excursion. The boat took them to the Bakers Paradise island where they got off and had waffles with strawberries and cream. I guess they walked around awhile and then back on the boat to go into the fjord.

Haven't done Disney's excursion, but from what it reads like, it's primarily the fjord cruise with a modest land portion. You will see the rock from your boat - i.e. do a sail by.

I don't know how much time you have in Stavanger, but Rodne has a cruise + hike tour which can be done in ~8 hours. Most folks visiting Stavanger are there for the Pulpit Rock hike (you know, the bucket lists). You can also do just the hike through Disney if you are visiting some of the other/more remarkable fjords on your cruise.

We wanted to take this excursion through DCL, but it was sold out by the time Silver CC members got to book. We independently booked the Rodne cruise, which was wonderful. The boat was right there where the Magic docked and it took you out to the fjord and back again. Our boat took us near the island where we saw the Troll's Heart, but we could not get off.

Our neighbors took the land and sea excursion. The boat took them to the Bakers Paradise island where they got off and had waffles with strawberries and cream. I guess they walked around awhile and then back on the boat to go into the fjord.

Thanks for your post! I was considering the Rodne cruise, but I thought, perhaps, the DCL excursion would have something "extra" that we'd like to experience. I was hoping the stop at Bakernes Paradis would be that something "extra". I wonder if it has changed since your neighbour took the excursion. The one now says that it would be a motorcoach to Bakernes and then a boat through Lysefjord.

Did your neighbours happen to mention if they enjoyed their excursion?

Haven't done Disney's excursion, but from what it reads like, it's primarily the fjord cruise with a modest land portion. You will see the rock from your boat - i.e. do a sail by.

I don't know how much time you have in Stavanger, but Rodne has a cruise + hike tour which can be done in ~8 hours. Most folks visiting Stavanger are there for the Pulpit Rock hike (you know, the bucket lists). You can also do just the hike through Disney if you are visiting some of the other/more remarkable fjords on your cruise.

Thanks! Hiking the Pulpit Rock is definitely on my bucket list, but although it's offered, it seemed rushed. And likely we wouldn't be able to go further up (section just above the pulpit rock) with the DCL excursion. So we decided that we would go back to Norway and visit all the places we wanted as a land vacation and be able to take our time (and perhaps time it so it's not too busy) with the hike. Also, we need to go back to go to the Path of Trolls since our Alesund port time is short and as a result the tour is not offered. We were very disappointed but this gives us a reason to plan a trip to do all the places we wanted to visit. :)

We did that excursion. The visit at Bakernes Paradis allows you to have a snack of waffles and strawberry jam between the bus and cruise portions. Half the group begins with the cruise and the other half on the bus. The bus portion was ok, as our guide was pretty good. The farm is a fun stop for the kids. Our 6yo son ran around, got to pet a few animals and meet young Norwegians in traditional costumes. The cruise gets you close to the main sights in the fjord with minimal effort. We sat next to the guide and got much more info than by just listening to his commentary. It was a very fun day.

We did that excursion. The visit at Bakernes Paradis allows you to have a snack of waffles and strawberry jam between the bus and cruise portions. Half the group begins with the cruise and the other half on the bus. The bus portion was ok, as our guide was pretty good. The farm is a fun stop for the kids. Our 6yo son ran around, got to pet a few animals and meet young Norwegians in traditional costumes. The cruise gets you close to the main sights in the fjord with minimal effort. We sat next to the guide and got much more info than by just listening to his commentary. It was a very fun day.

Thank you for posting! Sounds like it's great for kids.

Also thanks for mentioning about splitting the group in half. It doesn't mention that it could begin with the cruise. Good to know.

Did they do any special tours/presentations/shows at Bakernes or were you just free to roam after the waffle treats?

The price difference is so significant that there is no way I could pay that much for waffles. We are booked on the Rodne cruise that sails at 10:30am (I think, I booked it a long time ago). We also want to go to the petroleum museum in Stavanger. I may be a bit biased though as I never book excursions through Disney.

ETA we have two kids, aged 7 and 9

Thank you for posting! Sounds like it's great for kids.

Also thanks for mentioning about splitting the group in half. It doesn't mention that it could begin with the cruise. Good to know.

Did they do any special tours/presentations/shows at Bakernes or were you just free to roam after the waffle treats?
Our tour guide gave us information while we walked around with her, but it was in no way organized. Most of the group walked around on their own.

The price difference is so significant that there is no way I could pay that much for waffles. We are booked on the Rodne cruise that sails at 10:30am (I think, I booked it a long time ago). We also want to go to the petroleum museum in Stavanger. I may be a bit biased though as I never book excursions through Disney.

ETA we have two kids, aged 7 and 9

Thanks. I agree that the cost difference is a major issue for me. But I was wondering if the stop at Bakernes Paradis would be worth part of the difference. If they have some unique experience then I'm okay with the cost, but if it's just a stop for waffles, then not so much.

Also, the Rodne cruise also has a stop for waffles, but not at Bakernes Paradis. It's a little stop in Lysefjord. So I think you'd still get waffles on your cruise.

Generally, I'm not a great fan of cruise line excursions but sometimes DCL offers excursions that aren't available for private booking or may even be different from other cruise lines. I think those ones would be worth the extra cost. So I'm wondering if this excursion provides something extra that's worth cost.

Thank you for letting me know.

Did you enjoy it as adults?
Very much so. It was raining so the hike to Pulpit Rock, which would have been our adult-only choice, was not very fun. The waffles were a delicious surprise. Both guides were knowledgeable. The views from the cruise were wonderful. They got us very close to the different spots along the fjord, much more than with the cruise ship. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Very much so. It was raining so the hike to Pulpit Rock, which would have been our adult-only choice, was not very fun. The waffles were a delicious surprise. Both guides were knowledgeable. The views from the cruise were wonderful. They got us very close to the different spots along the fjord, much more than with the cruise ship. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thank you, again, for posting your experience.

One more questions about the cruise portion....how many people would you guess was on the boat?

I was wondering if it's a more manageable amount than the usual DCL excursions.

Last edited:

we did this as well in 2015 and pretty much as Marc D described. We did the bus first to Bakernes Paradis and then the cruise. I will admit after the waffles and wandering around the giftshop and visiting animals and Norwegians in traditional costumes, we had plenty of time to sit down by water and chill. There cruise was the most interesting part. The ship has both inside and outside parts, most everyone went for outside and so it does get crowded outside. I would agree it was a very nice and relaxing excursion and we did enjoy ourselves

we did this as well in 2015 and pretty much as Marc D described. We did the bus first to Bakernes Paradis and then the cruise. I will admit after the waffles and wandering around the giftshop and visiting animals and Norwegians in traditional costumes, we had plenty of time to sit down by water and chill. There cruise was the most interesting part. The ship has both inside and outside parts, most everyone went for outside and so it does get crowded outside. I would agree it was a very nice and relaxing excursion and we did enjoy ourselves

Thanks for posting your experience. I really appreciate it.

When you say crowded, did you feel that the boat was full? How many would you guess was on the cruise? Was your excursion group the one on the boat or were there others? I guess I'm wondering if you get the boat to yourselves?

Thanks for posting your experience. I really appreciate it.

When you say crowded, did you feel that the boat was full? How many would you guess was on the cruise? Was your excursion group the one on the boat or were there others? I guess I'm wondering if you get the boat to yourselves?

DCL were the only ones on the Boat, but I think we had 2 buses that were on our boat. Assuming that each bus seats 40 that was about 80 on the boat. It wasn't overly packed on the boat, just if you wanted to be outside and upstairs, every seat was taken. We settled in a spot inside (which was almost empty) and then wandered around to get the best view.

We were on the inaugural Norway Fjord cruise back in 2015 and did the excursion with Disney, 5 adults and we really enjoyed it. The waffles were great. Very nice relaxing day and the views are to die for.

DCL were the only ones on the Boat, but I think we had 2 buses that were on our boat. Assuming that each bus seats 40 that was about 80 on the boat. It wasn't overly packed on the boat, just if you wanted to be outside and upstairs, every seat was taken. We settled in a spot inside (which was almost empty) and then wandered around to get the best view.

Thanks!

We were on the inaugural Norway Fjord cruise back in 2015 and did the excursion with Disney, 5 adults and we really enjoyed it. The waffles were great. Very nice relaxing day and the views are to die for.

Thanks for posting. It sounds like a great excursion. And we're looking forward to the views. I think it'll be all about views in this cruise. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter