• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL and non-DVC booking

TagsMissy

It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.
Hi gang,

I have a question that had me confused... I was chatting with a DVC member a while back who booked a DCL cruise through DCL and not DVC. They mentioned placing a note on their file that they were DVC so they would get DVC swag.

Is this a normal thing to do? When you book a cruise through DCL (not DVC) do you have it mentioned you are a DVC member to get DVC 'perks' on the vessel even if you did not book through DVC?

I would never had thought of doing that before that conversation but if it is the norm I will when/if we ever get to go on a DCL voyage. If it's not the norm I wouldn't.

You call DCL if booking cash. You can have them note that you are a DVC member on your reservation.

If you're booking points, you have to go through MS.

You call DCL if booking cash. You can have them note that you are a DVC member on your reservation.

If you're booking points, you have to go through MS.

Yes I understand that... that's not the question :)

Is it normal when booking through DCL and not DVC to place notes you are a DVC member to get 'free swag' is my question. It seemed odd to me but is that the norm? :confused3

I would think so. I do.

But, I'm not sure I have to, DCL seems to know everything about me, just by giving them my name.

I have booked several times direct with DCL and never mentioned I was a DVC member. They just know who you are. I did receive the door magnet and all the other gifts daily.

Hi gang,

I have a question that had me confused... I was chatting with a DVC member a while back who booked a DCL cruise through DCL and not DVC. They mentioned placing a note on their file that they were DVC so they would get DVC swag.

Is this a normal thing to do? When you book a cruise through DCL (not DVC) do you have it mentioned you are a DVC member to get DVC 'perks' on the vessel even if you did not book through DVC?

I would never had thought of doing that before that conversation but if it is the norm I will when/if we ever get to go on a DCL voyage. If it's not the norm I wouldn't.
For sure if you have sailed before they will know you are DVC. I am not sure for 1st time cruisers though. That being said it certainly cannot hurt to mention it.

For sure if you have sailed before they will know you are DVC. I am not sure for 1st time cruisers though. That being said it certainly cannot hurt to mention it.

When I was a first time cruiser, they knew I was DVC. I didn't let anyone know in advance.

They just know who you are.
...unless, for some reason they don't, in which case nothing you do can convince them! ;)

More seriously: Disney has a very sophisticated Customer Relations Management (CRM) platform. They track a surprising amount of data for everyone who interacts with any segment of Parks & Resorts, and they share that data amongst the various business units broadly.

hahah I find this intriguing that even if you don't book through DVC you get the swag as a DVC member. :lmao:

what sounded so odd earlier isn't so odd afterall!

I never would have thought to ever mention I was DVC (or get perks) if I didn't book through MS @ DVC.

Learn something new everyday.

hahah I find this intriguing that even if you don't book through DVC you get the swag as a DVC member. :lmao:

Don't think of it as "swag", they are promotional items that serves many purposes for advertisement, including:

1. Trys to portray the message that you are appreciated, so you add points.
  2. Invites you to the Members' Mixer, so you'll add points.
  3. Act as advertisements (think walking billboard) so others will buy in.

This is not to say that I don't appreciate getting the items, it is just that Disney is getting something in return, which I have no problem with! But don't think they're doing it just to be nice.

sswaka has it right. It's all about sales. And I thought our gift on the cruise was kind of useless - like a little box for storing souvenirs in or something. And some magnets for the door (we kept those). At the DVC presentation on board, we got some hats and a few others inexpensive items. They actually were offering additional free gifts if they saw you wearing the hat during the cruise!

Advertising. Sales. Not perks or swag.

what sounded so odd earlier isn't so odd afterall!

I never would have thought to ever mention I was DVC (or get perks) if I didn't book through MS @ DVC.

Learn something new everyday.

And here's another thing I bet you didn't know.

If you pay my DW's and my way you will get a free Mai-tai every day delivered to your cabin! ;)

When I booked a DCL through an online TA, I never mentioned DVC, and I received all the DVC stuff. The mouse knows all. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter