DCL 2 week vax ultimatum during a major holiday Thanksgiving week

This! As I said above, you have 7 weeks until it goes into effect. That gives you 3 weeks to play around with getting the first dose. I'm very confused as to where the "2 weeks" is coming from. If it's to make the decision to cancel, it shouldn't be. huge deal you either know you're getting your kiddo vaccinated or have already done so or you know you're not. IF you're on the fence, you need to make a decision. The requirement is not going to magically go away.

In Canada the interval between shots is 8 weeks as far as I know- I don't think you can get the 2nd vaccination any sooner...

If I'm reading it correctly, it starts JANUARY 13 which is 7 weeks away. You only need 4 weeks from 1st dose - 2 weeks to second dose and 2 weeks for full vaccine status. You've got 3 weeks to get that first dose done. It's not "last minute".
Canada is not doing the 2nd shot after 3 weeks, we are getting the second shot after 8 weeks as it 'builds a better immune response' which is what they did with all the shots for adults and the 12+ group.

In Canada the interval between shots is 8 weeks as far as I know- I don't think you can get the 2nd vaccination any sooner...
Canada is not doing the 2nd shot after 3 weeks, we are getting the second shot after 8 weeks as it 'builds a better immune response' which is what they did with all the shots for adults and the 12+ group.

Gotcha. Did not know that. That stinks.

Gotcha. Did not know that. That stinks.

I agree that stinks, but that also doesn't have any bearing on OP's argument that it is unfair for DCL to only give two weeks to decide what to do. In Canada, you know what you have to do: cancel or reschedule.

I'm sympathetic it takes time on hold on the phone, but that happens any time you need to do something that can't be done online. Adding transfers (or changing transfer location), booking or changing a reservation that has a placeholder, adding insurance, waitlist for main dining etc. It's irriatating but very doable, especially if you do other things while you wait on hold and just carry your phone around, or wake up early one day and call in right when the phone lines open. We've all dealt with the general annoyance of having to call Disney and wait on hold for a million other things, particularly in the last year with all the closures and rebooking. I read OP's post as more of a complaint about the limited "decision time" than saying it physically can't be done to call into DCL on two weeks notice and wait on hold a bit to make the change happen.

If I'm reading it correctly, it starts JANUARY 13 which is 7 weeks away. You only need 4 weeks from 1st dose - 2 weeks to second dose and 2 weeks for full vaccine status. You've got 3 weeks to get that first dose done. It's not "last minute".

When your government has only just started the roll out and it isn’t even yet possible to book an appointment yes it is pretty short notice. It might be possible to get it done but there’s not a lot of wiggle room for families.

I have no dog in this fight though because I will not be taking my kids on a cruise ship unless they’re vaccinated.

Would likely be easier right now since you can at least fax from anywhere but it does cost a dollar or something like that.

They want to talk to you to make you not cancel and get your money back. If someone isn't vaccinated and calling its not like the call center person will make a break through for the individual. Additionally it would be a flat out lie to tell the person to take a credit because you never know if the vaccine mandate might go away soon.

I've cancelled several cruises over the years including one last month and have NEVER had them try to talk me out of it. Sometimes they have asked why, but the last couple they have not done even that. This most recent one they did offer to move my $ to another cruise, but I suspect only because I had responded to her 'sorry to hear that' with 'don't worry we have another booked for June'. She then asked which I'd prefer, a refund or to move the money to my other reservation. It was actually more hassle for her to move it over as we had to wait on hold for a supervisor to do it for us.

I've cancelled several cruises over the years including one last month and have NEVER had them try to talk me out of it. Sometimes they have asked why, but the last couple they have not done even that.
Same here. I've probably cancelled a dozen DCL cruises in the past several years, and no one has ever tried to talk me out of it. And the few times they have asked why, it was a strictly information-gathering why, not a "here's why that's not a good reason to cancel" why. They always have a positive attitude about it.

It's good business sense for them to be that way. If they were difficult about you cancelling, you wouldn't want to book again. I keep booking again and again without hesitation, because I know if I decide to cancel, I won't be hassled and I'll get my refund promptly.

I agree with a PP that the likely reason they require human contact to cancel is to review any potential penalties before cancellation.

Talking you out of it increases call turn time. Unless they have a separate metric of retention on such calls, faster just to review the cancel penalties and move on.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter