DCA Expansion/Update

disneyL0VE

DIS Veteran
I discovered this YouTube video on Disneyland Secrets about the expansion and update on DCA. Has anyone else heard anything about it? My uncle who works for Disney told my little sister that when I showed her the video.

Here's the link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZCsmQPwxiP8

I'm sad that the front of DCA will be completely changed :sad1:
But other than that, I am excited for what's coming!

Write out your inputs :surfweb:

Miceage has a bunch of extremely detailed articles on it. The front, except for the Cali sign, i wont miss. I think its garish. Im very happy with everything they're doing, the park was done on the cheap, its ashame in its current state. I still really like it, but I think you have to be a disney fan to really enjoy it, and then you're likely to see all the things wrong with it too. Cant wait to see it all done.

I like all the changes the guy talked about except for the name "Carsland". ;)

I like all the changes the guy talked about except for the name "Carsland". ;)

I remember you talking about this in another thread and I agree. All of the changes sound pretty exciting, but if they were to name it something better, I'd love it.

it should be called rout 66 lol
I think that its gona be awsome. dose any one know if the front is already gone or being changed? just wondering if it will be gone by oct?

Why don't they just call it Radiator Springs? I'm excited about the changes. We just spent an amazing year with AP's, we did let them expire so we can pay down some debt and when we hit our goal our reward will be a trip back. :) GREAT incentive for us!! These changes also give us something to look forward to in the future. It's good to know that Disney is always changing.

I remember you talking about this in another thread and I agree. All of the changes sound pretty exciting, but if they were to name it something better, I'd love it.

Carsland is a bad name. Then again, I thought California Adventure was a bad name too. They will eventually change it, I think, but I wonder to what? The name of a Disney park is SO key to the success. If it has a name that is not catchy, it does not catch with the public. What could they rename California Adventure that kind of conveys the same sort of magic that Disneyland has? Pixarland? No, not good. Magicland? Toyland? No, too child-like. Actually, they should have called the whole park Disneyland Paradise Pier, rather than just one section of it. I think that would have been good. But Carsland sucks and they need to re-think that pronto!

Why don't they just call it Radiator Springs? I'm excited about the changes. We just spent an amazing year with AP's, we did let them expire so we can pay down some debt and when we hit our goal our reward will be a trip back. :) GREAT incentive for us!! These changes also give us something to look forward to in the future. It's good to know that Disney is always changing.

I think Radiator Springs AND Route 66 are better names than Carsland. Even Autoland would be better than Carsland! That just does not flow off one's tongue! Let's face it - even though they are trying to go Pixar-heavy in this park, which I love, Cars are not the most magical or enticing of the Disney characters, so they have to really do something special to lure in visitors of all genders and ages to that land. If they did an all Nemo land, it would be so much easier to make it appealing. People love cute fish. They love underwater stuff (I think the Little Mermaid ride will be HUGE when it opens). Cars, not so much. I don't even like The Incredibles, but there is more potential there for fun kids's stuff, I imagine. Kids want to be superheroes.

Great inputs everyone! :)
I agree the name "Carland" doesn't sound very appealling and needs to be changed! I like "Radiator Springs" better than Route 66, sounds more inviting :)

I agree with Sherry E with Little Mermaid. The sketches look SO good! I am looking forward to seeing that when it's done!

JadeDarkstar, the front hasn't changed yet. I don't think it will be gone by October either.. in the video they had an estimate release I think, can't remember.. but they just opened TSMM so that's the main change right now.

*Grumble*

Guess we'll be taking LOTS of pictures in DCA this year before it's gone!

Tho we do love 'cars' in our house!

I just really liked the feel of DCA. And it was a BIG part of our honeymoon. *Sniffle*

Im certain there is a different working name than carsland. Im not up to goin gthrough the miceage articles right now to find it though. Ive no idea where carsland comes from.

Im certain there is a different working name than carsland. Im not up to goin gthrough the miceage articles right now to find it though. Ive no idea where carsland comes from.

The first articles I read about the expansion last year definitely mentioned Carsland, but Lord, let's hope there is a different working name for it because that one is bad - and it is nothing against the movie "Cars," which was fine. It is just like a throwaway name - almost like they were not imaginitive enough to come up with a different name so they settled on that one! And we know Disney is nothing if not the masters of imagination! So hop to it, Disney! Come up with something to knock our socks off!

I think Radiator Springs AND Route 66 are better names than Carsland. Even Autoland would be better than Carsland! That just does not flow off one's tongue! Let's face it - even though they are trying to go Pixar-heavy in this park, which I love, Cars are not the most magical or enticing of the Disney characters, so they have to really do something special to lure in visitors of all genders and ages to that land. If they did an all Nemo land, it would be so much easier to make it appealing. People love cute fish. They love underwater stuff (I think the Little Mermaid ride will be HUGE when it opens). Cars, not so much. I don't even like The Incredibles, but there is more potential there for fun kids's stuff, I imagine. Kids want to be superheroes.

I agree. I was just talking to disneyL0VE about this on the phone, I think Radiator Springs sounds great, but I understand that they want to keep it in theme with a Bugsland. It makes sense I guess. Sherry I agree about having cute fish around. It kind of reminds me of the Disneyland in Japan on how they have that whole indoor water land themed area. I saw it on a special where they use black light, people on wires with flowing fabric as fishes. It was SOO beautiful. If they had something like that, I'd be ECSTATIC.

JadeDarkstar I don't think they'll make any changes from now throughout the holiday season because it would just get in the way. It makes more sense to do it during the end of January through early spring so that it wouldn't get in the way of people going to the park.

While the name Carsland may be bad, we're not going to care much if that area turns out as spectacular as it sounds. They're putting in a brand new E-ticket known for now as Radiator Springs Racers that will use the technology from Test Track and DisneySea's Journey to the Center of the Earth. There's also going to be an attraction themed to Mater based off a much beloved, but long gone Flying Saucer attraction in Tomorrowland.

While the name Carsland may be bad, we're not going to care much if that area turns out as spectacular as it sounds. They're putting in a brand new E-ticket known for now as Radiator Springs Racers that will use the technology from Test Track and DisneySea's Journey to the Center of the Earth. There's also going to be an attraction themed to Mater based off a much beloved, but long gone Flying Saucer attraction in Tomorrowland.

Well, they need to start adding rides in that park no matter what they call the lands, that is true! See, Toy Story seems to stand the test of time, as does Finding Nemo, I think. Those two seem to be at the top of the Pixar food chain in shelf-life, but the other movies such as "Cars" and "The Incredibles," and a couple of others, while good movies, don't seem to necessarily have that timeless staying power to me. So they may make a whole land themed around the movie "Cars," but I don't know how smart that is. The rides themselves sound great, but I don't know if "Cars" will hold a soft spot in the hearts of millions everywhere decades from now. In other words, making a whole land themed around them might be a bit of a gamble. Just like putting a California-themed park in California was, and calling it California Adventure. Well, that idea/theme turned out to not be such a good one overall, hence the major overhaul now. So I hope they put some real thought into these lands and new rides so they don't have to do another major revamping in another 7 years!

I think it is very obvious that Walt Disney, the man, the genius, the innovator, had the magic touch, literally. He was a visionary with limitless creativity and imagination. They don't have anyone like a modern day Walt Disney to guide California Adventure's new path, but I am fairly certain that if Walt were in charge, he would be doing it a little differently.

Hey yall, HydroGuy just posted on another thread about more detail of the expansion & update!

http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ker-81393.html

There's the link!

Thanks again HydroGuy, you are awesome
Thanks. It looks like you made a mistake in the link above that I have myself have also made in the past. :) You need to click the original link and then copy that entire URL.

Here is a link that should work:

Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker: http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ker-81393.html

I just watched the video and even though the guy said Carsland, the sign on the video said Carland (without the S). And that is just the name of one of the areas in the park. They're not changing California Adventure to Carland.

JULIE

I just watched the video and even though the guy said Carsland, the sign on the video said Carland (without the S). And that is just the name of one of the areas in the park. They're not changing California Adventure to Carland.

JULIE

Right, I get that. But I think we were all in agreement here that Carsland - or Carland - is a bad name for a land, so we were hoping they will change it to something catchier. And I don't know that theming an entire land around a movie that may not stand the test of time is risky. I mean, we don't have a whole land for Toy Story and that is more deserving than Cars. What about a Monstersland? That would be really clever and cool! I never liked the name California Adventure, nor did I like the idea of having a Calif. themed park in California, although I do like many of the things in the park itself. I think they ARE eventually changing the name of it to something else as they start to strip away a lot of the California stuff that is there now, but nobody knows what yet! I personally thought they should have called the whole park Disney's Paradise Pier, rather than just one section of it. But it will be interesting to see what they come up with!

Right, I get that. But I think we were all in agreement here that Carsland - or Carland - is a bad name for a land, so we were hoping they will change it to something catchier. And I don't know that theming an entire land around a movie that may not stand the test of time is risky. I mean, we don't have a whole land for Toy Story and that is more deserving than Cars. What about a Monstersland? That would be really clever and cool! I never liked the name California Adventure, nor did I like the idea of having a Calif. themed park in California, although I do like many of the things in the park itself. I think they ARE eventually changing the name of it to something else as they start to strip away a lot of the California stuff that is there now, but nobody knows what yet! I personally thought they should have called the whole park Disney's Paradise Pier, rather than just one section of it. But it will be interesting to see what they come up with!

I'm guessing they're going with Carsland (or Carland) to stick with the "land" theme; according to the article they are changing Hollywood Studios Backlot to "Hollywoodland" and of course there's already "Bugsland". I don't really care for either "Hollywoodland" or "Carsland".

I DO love the idea of a Cars themed area though. I'm kind of guessing you don't have young kids (or at least any young boys), because Cars is "all it" with the younger set. You only need to take a walk through any toy store to find the aisles full of Cars-theme things. My 4 year old son loves Cars; I only wish the Carsland or whatever they'll call it would be open when we go in Sept, since I doubt we'll ever get back again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter