DCA 2/18 with brother, DH, and DS (long)

dgaston

Proudly wears a "Believes in Fairies tshirt"
DH, DS 14, and I were able to visit both parks while visiting my brother and his family. We used the So Cal resident ticket and were able to do both parks for $47 each. Quite a bargain.

We arrived at DLR and were able to park in the Timon lot about 9:40. Both parks were opening at 10:00am and we had about a 10 minute wait for a tram. Perhaps they weren't expecting so many visitors that day--two trams pulled up at the same time. There were two ticket booths open, with about four or five windows apiece and the lines were long for those too. My brother stood in the ticket line, and we went over to the plaza and the DCA line. The DL line was so long it stretched back across the plaza almost meeting the DCA line!

The line moved quickly and Steve (my brother) caught up to us just as we were approaching the ticket takers.

We rushed off to Soaring over California, grabbed Fastpasses (going for abour two hours later) and stood in the standby line. With only a 5-10 minute wait, we asked for front row center seats and were able to be seated at the next show. What a great attraction. I was leaning forward to see everything, and almost missed some of the smells! Love "flying" over those orange groves. Walked into the park a little more and DS played around the Redwood Challenge area. I even did one of the rope bridges. Admired Grizzly River Rapids, but too early to get another FP. We wandered over to Mulholland Madness (30 minute wait) and got in line. Didn't notice until too late there was a single riders line. While waiting we watched the Zephyr, and Orange swing ride, and just enjoyed the California sun. MM was fun, DS liked it a lot.

Now it was almost time for our Soaring over CA FP, so we walked back and grabbed FP for the GRR. Enjoyed the center front section again, and grabbed lunch from the nearby fast food place. Salads were especially good.

Went back to GRR, liked it as well, didn't get too wet.

Wandered over to the Hyperion theater. We had missed the uniformed bellcaps handing out tickets for the 3 productions of Aladdin, but asked a CM and she said our odds of getting into the 2:15 show standby were good. Hopped in line, DS was discovering the joys of frozen bananas, and then chose the mezzanine level for our seats. Once the theater finally opened, we ended up on the left side (They were saving the center section, perhaps for hotel guests, not sure tho). What a great show. We really liked the flying carpet scenes, and thought the musicians were excellent. Made me want to watch Aladdin again.
Would recommend mezzanine/balcony seats--you may miss a little of the parade scene, but rest makes up for it. A "don't miss" attraction in my book.

Now we were headed for Paradise Pier. Screaming over California had been off and on--didn't seem to be running in the am. and just as we reached the FP, it closed again. My brother is a big fan of the Maliboomer, and talked us into trying it. Most people stand and watch, and perhaps chicken out. I repeated my mantra "Mickey won't hurt me" and wow! I really liked this ride! I'm not always a fan of drop rides (yes I do like TOT, tho) but what a different experience being launched up. We liked it so well we all got right back in line! (Only 10-15 minute waits both times).

Screaming over California was up again, so we got FP, and went to the standby line first. Fun coaster, like the loop, (not as cool as RnR tho).

We had some time left on our FP, so watched California Dreams film. I also enjoyed this attraction.

We went back to Screaming over California, and enjoyed our last coaster ride of the day.

The park was closing at 6, and there wasn't a lot of time left so we headed over to Flick's Fun Fair, and watched "It's Tough to be a Bug." DS then rode the bumper cars and DH found the four leaf clover.

A little bit of shopping in the stores and it was time to say goodbye to DCA.

I had a great time here--had read about folks being disappointed, but I think Soaring over California, Aladdin, Screaming, Maliboomer are excellent attractions. I even enjoyed the "beach-carnival" music at Paradise Pier. Only disappointment was the margarita stand wasn't open (LOL).

I enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for the info about the Aladdin show-planning to put it to good use in about 14 days!

jimmiej: glad you can use the info. I think you'll have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter