DCA 1/28/01

Simply Tiggerrific

Earning My Ears
Since I love reading everyone else's trip reports, I decided to write one for everyone else to read.

We got to DCA about 6:55am & had to wait about 5 minutes before we could go into the park. There weren't any lines for ANYTHING.

BUT - we discovered that my DS is a scared of practically everything. And he's only 40 inches tall - couldn't ride Soaring Over California, etc. It may have been because it was so early in the morning - he was a lot better in the afternoon.

We rode the Sun Wheel - this thing is VERY high. He was nervous about going on this so we got a stationary gondola. Next we went on King Triton's Carousel. Very cool. There was no wait for It's Tough to be a Bug but once we started to go into the tunnel with the bug noises, he freaked out. So we headed to Hollywood Backlot & rode Superstar Limo.

Here's the rest of the day (but not necessarily in the right order):
Muppet Vision 3D - great!!
Animation - We only stayed for the Robin Williams film but this was funny.
Jumping Jellyfish - DS's new favorite ride.
The play area by grizzly rapids - fun...but DS didn't want to do certain things.

This really isn't a place for little kids. DH & I would enjoy ourselves a lot more if we had gotten a babysitter so we could have gone to It's Tough to be a Bug, California Screamin, Soaring over California, Grizzly Rapids and the Mulholland Madness ride.

DS did get into pin trading and had a lot of fun.

We ate lunch at Rainforest Cafe (Downtown Disney) because I had a gift certificate.

Next week we're off to Orlando then cruising on the Disney Wonder.

TTFN - Ta Ta For Now!
tigger.jpg

Hi ST! Thanks for the report...sorry your son wouldn't ride some things, but now at least you have an excuse to go back! :D

I have a daughter just like your son, and when we go to our DCA preview next weekend my husband I will take turns with her so each of us can ride the cool rides. :) We're used to that routine; that's how it always is when we visit DL or WDW. They also offer "kid swap" on many of the rides at DCA just like they do at other Disney parks.

Did you happen to catch the parade? We did and I'd like to hear someone else's impressions...

Have fun in Orlando and on the cruise!!! :)

Michelle
Assistant Webmaster
Cruise & Inspiration Board Co-Host
Disneyland Board Co-Host

Okay Michelle - are you going to let us in on YOUR impressions of the parade. Evidently, they were not too good since you didn't really say anything except wanting other's opinions.

BTW, do they not have fireworks scheduled at DCA? I thought all the Disney parks had scheduled fireworks (except Animal Kingdom because it would scare the animals). I was looking on the Disneyland site last night seeing what the operating hours will be when we are there and there is no mention of a fireworks show at DCA.

Sheila
sheila.bennett@home.com
Wilderness Lodge; Dec 1999
Disneyland March 2001!

Thanks for the report. In your DS's defense, Tough to be a Bug is tough on little kids. I did my research on it prior to taking my kids to WDW and decided that it is too intense for a lot of little kids. My DS is also a ride wimp (comes from his father.)

No we didn't see the parade.

We didn't do the baby swap thing either because we were all tired and the lines were really long at that point. Plus, DH wanted to go home & watch the super bowl.

Overall it was still a great day because the longest wait we had was 10 minutes for Muppet vision 3-d and we walked on to every other ride.

I'm sure we'll be back. We've got Disney Fever now.

TTFN - Ta Ta For Now!
tigger.jpg

Sheila, I'll tell you the truth: I was less than impressed with the parade. The floats were fair, as were the performers, but I totally did not like the music played...and they repeated the same song OVER and OVER. I also have to say that as a Californian I found the theming sort of stereotypical for what people expect to find in California.

But you know what, the people behind us loved the parade and clapped at the end! So to each their own, I don't want anyone to pre-judge the parade based on my impressions...you may love it, and that's great. :)

No, there are no fireworks at DCA, I think primarily because Disneyland is so close that you can see the fireworks from there when they have them.

And Donna, you're right about It's Tough to be a Bug, we took my daughter to see it at WDW when she was five (not knowing!) and she screamed through the whole thing. It's definitely too intense for some kids and ST was very wise not to have his son ride it. :)

Michelle
Assistant Webmaster
Cruise & Inspiration Board Co-Host
Disneyland Board Co-Host

We also got to do DCA again today. It was third time in as many weeks. I have to say that today the crowds were the worst of any of my trips. We got there around 9:00 this morning. We headed to Hollywood Backlot and got on Superstar Limo in about 10 Minutes. We then went to Disney’s Animation and went through the different Animation rooms with little or no wait. However after that it was pretty much all down hill as far as line waits for the more popular rides. California Soaring and Grizzly River Run were both over an hour. We did get on the Golden Zephyr after about 20 minutes. Mulholland Madness was over an hour wait, the line was almost back to Burger Invasion. The Orange Stinger and Maliboomer were both about 15 minutes. The Sun Wheel was a 35 minute wait and California Screamin’ was over an hour. ITTBAB was a 5-10 minute wait.

Now we chose not to get any Fast Passes today because we are going back this Tuesday and are hoping that the lines will be down some what. I would highly recommend getting any and all Fast Passes that you can. I think it will make your day at the park go so much better.

The other thing that I noticed today was that almost all the restaurants had very long lines. We usually try and eat during the off hours, but that did not seem to make a deference today. It took us 20 minutes to get our food from Malibu-Ritos and Strips, Dips n Chips two fast food places on Paradise Pier.

After my third visit to DCA I am still impressed with the park. My kids are 12 and 15 years of age. They enjoyed the park, but I don’t think that younger kids would enjoy it as much. There are not as many rides for them to do. If they are at the age were you need to do child swaps so they are not left by themselves it may take some of the enjoyment away from the parents.

I have seen the parade twice. It was no MSEP or Lion King, but I did enjoy it.

Also when we left around 2:30 the traffic to get into the park was backed up on Disneyland Drive all the way back on to the freeway off ramp. It appeared that the Mickey and Friends parking structure was closed. I am not sure were they were sending the cars to park.

Keith ;)
Disneyland-Weekly
WDW-87 Disney Villas
99 Wilderness Lodge

I will be the dissenting opinion and admit I loved the parade. I am still humming the tune almost 2 weeks later. It IS a stereotype of all things Californian.

I think I loved the parade because of the CM interaction. The first preview day I attended was Construction Workers Appreciation. There were not too many children at the park that night. My daughter was approached by at least 10 performers in the parade. They waved to us, danced for us and smiled at us. Some of the puppeteers even touched my daughter on the head with their puppets. It was the most attention we have ever received during a parade.

So maybe I loved the parade because of the attention my daughter received. Or maybe it is because I love California. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter