DC, only 1 member per household ?s

disneyberry

Dreaming of adventure
DVC Premium
i know that only one member of the household needs to be a DC member to get discounts. does this also apply if my bf and i live together? if i join DC in my name, can i get discounts for both of us? or does this only work if you're a married couple? :(

a related question: usually my bf drives, so we rent cars in his name. if the DC membership is in my name, can we get a DC discount on a National rental in his name?

Hmmm...interesting question.

In my brochure from them, it states,
It may be used by you, your spouse and dependent children living at the same address.

You might try calling them at 1-888-DISNEY4U (1-888-347-6394) to see how they handle situations like this.

Oh yeah, and the doesn't have your first and last name on it, it says JONES HOUSEHOLD or whatever your last name is.

Maybe, if you are considered legally married in your state by living together, you could have The Disney Club put the JONES-SMITH HOUSEHOLD on your card or something?

i'll update this thread since it's the one linked from all the others.

i called the number Rhonda provided (thanks!), and asked them how they deal with non-married couples.

they told me that they can issue 1 card in my last name, and for an additional $10 issue a 2nd card in my bf's last name. :( boohoo
i don't want to have to pay an extra $10 *sigh*

as for the double-name idea, i didn't ask them that question because the CM seemed so sure that the $10 for the extra card was the way to go.

here's a quote from another thread (now closed):
Originally posted by robinb
My last name is different than my husband's, so we had the same problem. Put the card in both your names. It will say the "Smith-Jones" family instead of just "Smith" or "Jones".

are there any others who have done this w/o problems? it seems nowadays there are lots of women who don't necessarily change their last name after marriage, so DC must accomodate this.

btw, can you be considered legally married in some states just by living together? i didn't know that. wow. :p we probably won't get married anytime soon (even though we practically are... being together and living together over 5 years and all)

anyone have any other ideas how i can work around this "minor technicality"?

I think the issue here is if National allows additional drivers, and if/what they charge. First, you should join the Emerald Club if you haven't already. The Disney Club gives you this for free, and there is also a way to join free through biztravel (I think). Then find out if the car is in your name, what it will cost to add another driver. One National rep told me that there was no charge if both people were EC members.

I have friends who are married with different last names. Usually it is not a problem, but occasionally they are asked to prove that they are legally married.

If you are still trying to figure out this part of your question, repost it on the transportation board, as it is clearly belongs there & there are lots of people who know about travel & car rentals.

I'm not sure what other discounts it would be a problem for, unless you wanted him to charge stuff and use your discount card. I doubt stores or restaurants would care. And you can buy passes for as many people as you want to with the one card.

Hope it works out!

Gillian, you make a good point.

i think the main reason i was concerned about which name is on the DC membership was for using National Rental and Emerald Club. (i did post this question on the Transportation board, but it was closed by a moderator)

i think to be on the safe side, i might sign up for DC using my bf's name.

but... can anyone think of any reason i might have trouble with DC because the membership will be in my bf's name?

please let me know, i can't think of anything right now.
thanks.

I don't know how much help this is to you, but here's my own personal experience.

For our last trip, JAN/FEB 2001 we used our Disney Club card, which is in my name (different last name than DH).

We used it for the National Car discount. Handed them the card, and the coupon. Card was in my name, reservation was in DH name. No questions asked. I was prepared to show photo ID to prove that it was actually me who owned the Disney Club card.

We used the card for discounts at Rainforest Cafe. Actually paid with dh credit card, in his name, and used Disney Club card in my name. Again, no questions asked.

I think today... with so many people living together as "married" couples, without the actual piece of paper to go along with it... and so many people that do have the piece of paper, and have chosen not to change their names... I think it's a safe assumption that you will not encounter any problems. My only suggestion would be to have a photo ID with you, in case they question the fact that the card does not belong to either of you. The only time I could see a problem would be if the card is in your name, and he tries to use it without you being around. We were always together when using the card, so that wasn't an issue.

Hope this helps a bit! :)

ok i've decided to sign up using my bf's name, but in the last name field putting something like "SMITH-JONES" using our 2 last names. maybe i'll put his last name first, and then mine.

hopefully this will work out.

thanks again for all your help!

I think the hyphened names will work out fine for you.

Like I said in one of your other threads, I am married but did not change my name ... not even hyphened with my DH's name. My DC card has our names hyphened "Smith-Jones" and we have had no problems with National when renting a car with it (twice). Also, since I was an EA member my DH was able to drive for free as long as we resided at the same address. I called National's EC customer service and they told me that I didn't even have to "officially" add him to the car. IIRC, you didn't even have to be married.

FWIW, I have never been asked for proof of marriage because my last name is different than my husband's and we have been married for 9 years (and lived in sin 6 years before that).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter