• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DC and DD can't swim too well..

Tense

Mouseketeer
I've just booked the DC for July 11th a birthday present for me!! yipee.. however I believe the kids will just LOVE it.. My DD is 8 and she swims ok under water, but doggies on the top. I'm not too comfortable with her swimming yet. DOES she have to be able to swim swim to be with the dolphins? If she does I'm afraid I've wasted my $$.. and she'll be very :(.

The vest and the boyancy of seawater make it a great deal easier for her to float if she chooses to go into the deeper water, but if she doesn't feel happy about going into deep water she can do her "quality time" in waist deep water. She can still get her "ride" on the dolphin as they will often offer a "boomerang ride" out and back holding onto the dolphin's fin.

I would let her make her own choice by getting one of the later swims and watching one or two of the earlier ones to get an idea of what goes on.

I also had the same concern 2 years ago when we first went. My youngest was 6 and was not a strong swimmer which made me so nervous it put a damper on our swim with the dolphins . I wish I had gotten her a life jacket that year. It would have eased my worries. Last year we went again , she was a stronger swimmer and did wonderfully. They have life jackets in every size so I would recomend getting her one. Hopefully she will wear it.

We just got back. DD 9 can kind of swim - but I don't have confidence in her abilities in deep water. DD 7 can't swim. Both wore life jackets for the dolphin swim, and switched back and forth between wet suit vests and life jackets for the rest of the day. Half of the dolphin swim is in waist deep water and half is in deep water. DD 7 did not want to go in deep water and they said they could do a boomerang ride or whatever they call it. Talk to the trainer about it.

You meet the dolphin in shallow water first, then half of the group goes into deep water - in our case it was another family of 4. The dolphin spends time with the group in deep water and comes back to shore and spends time with that group, and kind of goes back and forth. Then the dolphin gives the group in deep water each a ride back to shore. Then the groups switch. By that time we were able to convince DD 7 to come out to deep water and she was completely comfortable with it. But if they don't want to go in the deep water they don't have to. Although I cannot tell you what the other ride is like.

Anyone can use a life jacket, they have children's and adult sizes. And you shouldn't hesitate to use them. Be comfortable. I saw many children and many adults with them too. They tell you that they are available when you get your snorkel, it is no big deal. I see posts all the time about the wet suits keeping you buoyant. This is true, but the life jacket makes a big difference for a non swimmer, you won't sink. And there were a lot of them being used, so don't worry about "standing out" or anything.

Now, if you want to try snorkeling in the other areas, you will find that the life jacket keeps you too afloat, so stick to shallow areas where you can stand up and use the wet suit vest instead.
:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter