Nickylv

DIS Veteran
Up to see the sunrise over the ocean and again the joggers and strollers are all on the beach with a few people in their chairs enjoying the sunrise. Today is supposed to get cloudy around 11 am and stay that way for the rest of the day.

You know you spend a year planning your vacation, you get your plane tickets, places to stay, make a plan on what it is you would like to accomplish with the time you have, planning for your journey always seems so far ahead in time. You begin a count down months before, then weeks before and then days before. Then it’s here and in the blink of an eye sadly at this point we are half way through our vacation and don’t want it to end.

I plan on retiring in April or May of next year, my wife maybe one more year, and at that point when we go away we can make the decision to stay longer if we want since we will not have to be back home for anything.

Well, back out on the beach to relax and enjoy the peaceful sound of the waves. The ocean is a little rough today and the clouds are rolling in so we have to enjoy the beach time while we have it.

Now back to our place and sitting around waiting for 4:00 for the Eagles playing the Raiders in Las Vegas, a game we were going to go to until we realized that we will be in Florida when they play. We are Eagles fans and because we live in Vegas we also support the Raiders. However when push comes to shove the Eagles will win out. The Allegiant stadium is only 10 minutes from our house however the traffic is massive and we are better off not driving ourselves and just take an Uber. Parking around the stadium is scarce.

Oh well, its disappointing, the Eagles lost to our home town Raiders.

Time to get ready for dinner. Seems this trip is all about restaurants and beach. There were things like the Ghost tour late at night I wanted to do, my wife wanted to go to the Alligator farm and maybe a concert at the amphitheater but vacations go so fast and tomorrow is our last day in St Augustine so as we say, “maybe next time”

Tonight we are going to a restaurant in the business district over in the shipyard (never knew that was there) and the reviews were great its called Culinary Outfitters. We leave and the GPS takes us to a dark shipyard with large ships and yachts. We get to a parking lot which was half full with cars but the restaurant is not there, well there is a restaurant there but a different name. I get out of the car and walk around to the waterfront to see if they were open and my wife calls from the car, she called the restaurant and a voice mail said to hold on to speak with the host, a host never came on so she looked up the name of this restaurant and it says formally Culinary Outfitters. We walk up to the door and it was closed. Now what….

While vacationing in St Augustine a few years ago my wife and I took a food tour in old town and one of the stops was this old 19th century bed and breakfast and restaurant called Old City Home. It was a home for the stable help in the 1800’s for the Flagler estate. The sample food and drink at this part of the tour was so great we decided to see if we could get a table. Luckily with no reservation they did have one table for us and we were soon seated. Peggy was our server and we took a liking to her immediately. She was so friendly and informative about the place and the food and has been there for years. We ordered a bottle of wine and appetizers. I got the lump crab cocktail and my wife got a salad, both were excellent. While sitting there we were able to watch the food being brought out to other tables and they all had such an artistic presentation and of course they all looked so delicious. I ordered the vegetarian lasagna and my wife asked Peggy to surprise her with either the rack of lamb or the filet. Peggy told her both were excellent and she would surprise her. When our meals arrived my wife was presented with the rack of lamb and Peggy was right my wife loved it, so tender and flavorful. My vegetable lasagna was excellent, no wheat noodles the entire lasagna was made of vegetables. I almost felt like I had extra energy from all the vitamins the veggies were giving out. Very delicious. We had a great time at the Old City House restaurant and the bill came to $153 with bottle of wine and tax. I don’t include the cost after tip because I work in an industry that most employees rely on tips since their base pay is minimum wage and while my wife and I do not work on tips some of our family members do and we tend to tip on the higher scale since we know how hard its been the last few years for them. This is our personal choice. We set aside monies all year so we can enjoy whatever we want while on vacation. We also tend to eat at higher end restaurants and try not to cook while we are on vacation since we do this all year and it’s our vacation from everything. We’re now heading back to our place. Sat back and relaxed, talked about the days events and were sad to remind ourselves that tomorrow will be our last full day in St Augustine. We found St Augustine about 5 years ago while on a trip to Disney World, we had a chance to transfer to Jacksonville and wanted to check out what we passed up. We decided to stay in Las Vegas since that is where most of our family are. We moved to Henderson 25 years ago where our grown children and grand son followed us. 25 years later and we are the proud Great Grandparents of a wonderful 1 year old boy Carson who lights up our life just like our grandson did 25 years ago. We rented a car for one day and drove to Jacksonville Beach. While I thought it was alright, on our way home we stopped in St Augustine old town to have dinner and I thought it was such a cool place. We returned another time and within a few days we fell in love with the place. So now we come a few times a year, either before or after we spend time in Disney World.

One more day in St Augustine and then we will be heading to Disney World, staying at the Boardwalk resort and have many planned events for the food and wine festival. To be continued…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter