Day 1 in Anaheim

diberry

DIS Veteran
Wednesday 17th August

We arrived in Anaheim at about 6.20 p.m. Out hotel was a Best Western directly across Harbor Boulevard from Disneyland – a very different set-up from WDW!! We’d looked at the 3 onsite Disney hotels but as the cheapest of them was nearly 3 times more than the “Good Neighbor” hotels across the road, it wasn’t a hard decision!! The room was very similar to WDW rooms but with the addition of a nice sitting area, fridge, microwave, iron & ironing board (which didn’t get used!!!) and all for £53 a night. There was also a pool and jacuzzi plus plenty of restaurants nearby. After checking in we went for a walk. It was so exciting to be in the original Disneyland and as soon as we walked into the entrance plaza we heard the Pirates of the Caribbean music and It’s a Small World etc – brilliant!!! We picked up our hopper tickets and then had a long wander around Downtown Disney

DLC1200x1050.jpg

– we wanted to go into the park of course but it would have wasted a whole day’s ticket for one evening. Downtown is very similar to the one in WDW - huge with many different types of shops (including the World of Disney store of course!!) and restaurants. We had a couple of drinks in the ESPN bar and a sandwich at the La Brea bakery before wending our way home (just across the street).

Thurs 18th

It was so exciting just being there with all the familiar sights and sounds – Disney music is so emotive. They call the 50th Anniversary year the “Happiest Homecoming on Earth” and as we went through the ticket booth the lady said: “Welcome Home”. It was all I could do to stop myself from blubbing and even worse as we walked into Town Square and saw all the familiar buildings, Main Street vehicles etc and heard the music!!! Main Street is almost exactly like the ones at WDW and DLP with the same Victorian style shops, Town Square, the hub with the "partners" statue, the vehicles, band, dapper Dans etc etc - oh, and that wonderful happy music!!! It really is a magical place to be for us. The castle is much smaller than at WDW or DLP but very pretty in its own way and beautifully decorated for the 50th anniversary.

50thb1200x900.jpg

Tinkerbell even came out to say;”Hello!!”
California2005002.jpg

I liked the thought that Walt Disney had actually walked through that castle.

disney_at_castle.jpg

As always we started with a “grand circle tour of the park” on the railroad which has Grand Canyon and Primeval World dioramas like at DLP!!! Afterwards we just wandered up Main Street taking it all in. It was quite busy but not madly so. The temperature was nice too – not too hot but sunny and warm.
The first ride we went on was Jungle Cruise – there are 50 logos like this around the park all themed to whichever land they’re in.

50th.jpg

The ride was excellent as always – there were a few new bits including what seemed like hundreds of piranha fish which gave us a good laugh as they made the water froth up as they jumped up at us.
Next came Pirates of the Caribbean which is also excellent and very much like the one at DLP. There is also a restaurant by the water’s edge, called the Blue Bayou here – it looks lovely.
We went to the Haunted Mansion which again is very similar to DLP’s version and was very good indeed.
Then of course we had to go on Splash Mountain which is our favourite ride at WDW – excellent as always. Then we went on the Winnie the Pooh ride and had lunch at the Hungry Bear restaurant in Critter Country which is at the back of Frontierland.

SAVE00021200x852.jpg

We were lucky to get a table right by the river and had excellent views of the Mark Twain.

California2005095.jpg

After lunch Dave decided to have a go on the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes but it looked too much like hard work for me! After that we had a ride on the Sailing Ship Columbia – a 3-masted windjammer and below deck you can view the galley and living quarters as they would have been for an 18th century ship’s crew.

f7feb819.jpg

By this time we were feeling pretty shattered and it was hot so we decided to come back for a rest by the pool. The pool is really nice and the jacuzzi was full of foam – like an outdoor bubble bath!!
After a couple of hours we decided to go back to the park and started off in Tomorrowland this time. We went on “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience” which we always enjoy.
Then of course we had to have a go on “Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters” which is new this year. It’s a longer ride than in WDW and afterwards you can e-mail your photo from the ride to people at home.
California2005083.jpg

We had a long wander round Innoventions and played on all the interactive computer games etc. It used to be the “Carousel of Progress” building and still rotates very slowly. We had a ride on the monorail which goes round both parks and Downtown Disney and along Harbor Boulevard right past our hotel!!
Back in the Magic Kingdom I had a go on the “Indiana Jones” ride which was good fun but a bit jerky for me. It’s a lot different from the one at DLP but just like “Dinosaur” at the Animal Kingdom at WDW (except without the dinosaurs!!!!). In the queue area there are interactive elements such as poles to push which make the ceiling appear to be collapsing etc – there are signs telling you not to touch them which are intended to make you do just that!! We were feeling peckish by now so went back to Downtown Disney where we had several Budweisers and a lovely steak meal at the ESPN zone. Then wandered back to the hotel absolutely shattered.

Sounds wonderful Di. Your report and photos really give a flavour of the park! I love all the little details. :) i'm glad you enjoyed it so much! You will have to bring your photos to the notts meet!

That's really nice of you Verity but I wouldn't dare as there are about 140!!!

wow, sounds great!!! Bringing back memories of being there last year (although it seems like an eternity ago!!!)

Stevey

Di
enjoying your report and photos. Nice to hear the comparison with DLP and WDW :sunny:

Reid

diberry said:
I wouldn't dare as there are about 140!!!

Is that all!!!! Great report Di - it looks, and sounds, like a lovely place!

we had to have a go on “Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters” which is new this year. It’s a longer ride than in WDW

I hope the DLP one will be too! :hyper:

Great report, I am really looking forward to the other days. I love the picture of the two parks in situ.

Great report! Now I wanna go! I love all the '50' theming, love that Disney detail!

Looks so lovely in the Californian sunshine - I loved Cali (but like you posted elsewhere, not so impressed with L.A.! itself) Its such a gorgeous state, I can't wait to go back one day, with Phantom Planet blaring from the stereo (for those of you with better things to do than watch the O.C., they sing the theme tune 'Californiaaaa!') and enjoying the sun!

Small digression over, what a great report, love the pics and map, you can totally get the feel of the place! Can't wait for more!

I am interested to hear how the trip compared price wise to WDW! Great trippie so far, can really get a good feel of the place. So excited to hear the next day!!!

Great report & pics! The way you guys took time to notice the little touches makes it sound like you were the only 2 in the park. :) Can't wait to read the rest.

Nicola - think it was actually cheaper because at WDW we always stay onsite which is about double what we paid at the Best Western.

Thank you so much everyone for your kind comments - I love to get the feedback and to relive it all when I write it!!!

What a great report Di. I am glad it is not just me who nearly blubs every time I walk in a Disney park.:rotfl:
It sounds so lovely there, I am hoping we will make it there one day. Your photos are really good, I just love the one where you are wearing your golden ears, your naughty DH wasn't wearing his though! :rotfl2:

Ware Bears said:
Your photos are really good, I just love the one where you are wearing your golden ears, your naughty DH wasn't wearing his though! :rotfl2:
Yes, he was decidedly reluctant but I managed to snap him in it and it'll be appearing in the trippie!! ;) He'll be so thrilled!!!!

Ah, but at least he was wearing his golden ears Tshirt! He gets some Brownie points for that!!! :rotfl2:

florida sun said:
Great trip report Di and lovely photos as well.

Sue :wave:
Thank you Sue - looking forward to your trippie over on the other board too!!

Ive made a start Di, Just the pre trip report for now, but will add more through the week.

Sue :wave:

DIANA, I enjoyed SOOOOOOOOO MUCH this instalment !!!
I loved especially those maps ... which make :dog2: me remember of our trips overthere !!! :dog2:

and I absolutely loved that photo of the two of you in front of the castle !!!!

Thanks for sharing !!!

A good way to ... :cloud9: dream !!!!

Laura :wave2:

I have to get over my fear of flying - I need to go to WDW and WDL!

Brilliant report and photos - I wish I was able to come to the meet and see thee rest of the snaps.

dlpSteve said:
I have to get over my fear of flying - I need to go to WDW and WDL!

Brilliant report and photos - I wish I was able to come to the meet and see thee rest of the snaps.
You and Rhiannon will have to go to get therapy together as you both want to go to the States!! Thanks for your kind words - wish you could come to the meet too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter