Data point on port upgrade to concierge on the wonder

Galun

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
This forum has helped us immensely so I am posting our experience here. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

We did a last minute booking on a 7 day alaska cruise on the wonder. Less than 2 months out from sailing date when we booked. There are 4 of us, 2 kids aged 10 and 8. Original price for outside porthole room was $86xx. That was the best we could get as everything better was sold out. The excursion bookings were a mess as well since we booked at around 55 days, and everybody had already signed up for excursions. It’s like one kid on one afternoon for princess gathering, one kid on another day, no character breakfast, 2 out of 4 spots available on the shore excursions, etc.

The in port upgrade to a one bedroom concierge was $5888. We didn’t go in the first check in group either. The original occupants of that suite upgraded to the royal suite in port and freed it up. If we had gone too early, this suite wouldn’t have opened up.

So the total cost for the one bedroom suite was around $14.4k. That’s $600 cheaper than a deluxe balcony room for the same sailing in 2019. I’d say we got tremendous value as we would have booked balcony if it were available.

Others have posted about concierge perks so there is no need to reiterate. I will just say that from our experience, concierge can help even on shore excursions that are sold out. I don’t know how they do it, but our shore excursions that only had 2 out of 4 spots were changed to the entire party. And they seem to be able to fix anything if it’s on the boat. On the first day the concierge looked at our scattered itinerary and I explained that it was a last minute booking. He said ok how would you like your two at sea days to be like? We told him what we wanted at around what time and by that first night we got a great logical itinerary. Prime time bookings for character breakfast so we can sleep in. Princess and frozen greetings after that. Then the princess make up and royal tea (all previously sold out in the online system) in the afternoon for my daughter. Spa bookings slotted in for my wife.

If you were on the fence about prices quoted by the in port upgrade, don’t be. Whatever price that quote you is going to be a great value.

Last edited:
Wow! Sounds like you had a great cruise! And that 1 bedroom concierge suite had to be awesome for a family of 4! Thanks for sharing your experiences. :thanks:

We will be sailing concierge for the first time in a Cat T (1 bedroom) in early Sept, and I cannot WAIT!!! DH doesn't know... :ssst:

Another thing I find on the wonder - the wine list from Palo is great, and the markup is quite small for what I consider as equivalent to a luxury hotel restaurant. It was around 30% markup from retail price, and no sales tax (but 10% mandatory gratuity I think).

I bought the premium wine package on the first night before knowing this. What we are doing now is buy from Palo wine list and have that wine follow us. They are giving us a credit of $46 per bottle of unused wine from the package. Given my expectation that Disney upcharges for everything, I thought this was susprisingly very fair.

I’m really glad that it worked out for you in a way you could manage! Woo!!!

Whatever price that quote you is going to be a great value.

You do need the caveat that it’ll be a value IF the things you used it for are valuable to the person.

I would have needed none of those things. So I wouldn’t have gotten them. So...

We’ve done concierge twice on Bahamas cruises. The first time the upgrade was ~$300 total from the room we’d booked. We got THAT value. :) second time I didn’t compare, but it was a palatable cost

So the caveat is needed. :):)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter