DAS for CMT

FindMeAFishingSpot

Mouseketeer
I am considering asking for a DAS this trip. I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease (CMT) and wear ankle foot orthotics (AFOs) on both legs. I do not want to rent a wheelchair or scooter as I am really proud of the fact that, for the most part, I can get around without it. I am sore and tired by the end of the day, and I know that the day where I will require one is fast approaching, but I want to put that off as long as possible!

The only problem is with the waiting. The pressure on my feet is unbearable and for the most part, if it says the wait is 20 minutes or longer, we skip the ride. And don't even get me started on the shows with the slanted floor queues (Frozen at HS, Muppets at HS, Pixar at EP). Braces don't work well in standing in most circumstances. Put me on a slanted floor and forget it! By the time we get in, my feet and knees are killing me from trying to keep myself upright and balanced.

Anyhow, in short, looking to see if anyone else has experience with DAS and this type of condition and what your experiences were. Any trouble obtaining? Does it get you on a flat queue? Anyone find any seating for these instances? Thanks in advance!

I don't have direct experience or knowledge of your condition, but I will say that I'd be surprised if the CMs recognize the diagnosis therefore you will have to explain your needs, which sound like it's mobility/stamina. You may certainly request a DAS, but I recommend having a back-up plan in case the request is refused. Many people use mobility devices at WDW who do not need one in their regular everyday lives. The only way to guarantee a place to sit is to essentially bring it with you in the form of a mobility device. I recognize your resistance to using a mobility device, but maybe a rollator would work for you? That way you could sit instead of standing with pressure on your feet.

As to "flat queues" -- the queue used by DAS is the FP+ queue. In most situations it parallels the standby queue just without as many switchbacks. I don't think the DAS will offer any better flooring surface. There is no seating provided within queues, and WDW has been removing benches from the parks in general, leaving relatively few and far between with quite a bit of demand (read that as benches tend to be occupied when you find one).

The WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum may be helpful. You only need to read the first post, not the many pages of subsequent discussion. You might also want to peruse the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

Enjoy your vacation!

OK now that I have more time I am going to rewrite what I posted as there are things I would like to say that I did not. and please note I have a hard time saying what I want to say and writing them down is even harder for me but I will do my best so take a deep breath and maybe read slowly and I will do my best to communicate ( write ) well. ok now for what I want to say.

I get the fact that you do not want to use a wheel chair and not have to for as long as you can, what person with a DIabaility that know one day it will be worst will want to use something they do not have to every day, I too was that person I never wanted to wear glasses ( try talking an 11 month old into wearing them) from the day I was 11 moths old until I was 8 I did not want to wear them at all then I had someone tell me just think of it as a tool so that you can see the TV better so that you can play out side with your friends ( I could not see to even play ) they listed a lot of things that I was unable to do ( and school work) I got tired of having bruises because of bumping in to things having people think I was abused, so I started to were them, I was able to do so much more I was happier.

My teen years I developed asthma and for about 10 years I never took my preventer medication I was sick a lot, I misses out on going out with friends I misses birthdays ( was sick one year on my birthday) I could not do PE ( yes I was one of those kids that love to be out side and run) I missed field trips, I failed 2 or maybe 3 college classes all because I was so sick. Finally I decide to take a better care of my health and my life again changed yes I still have bed day but there are fare and a few.

I am telling you this because look at a mobility device just as a tool ( and for now a temporary tool, just like I have new used my phone 5 times in this message for spelling) and nothing more, and use it so that it helps you. It dose not sound like you will need to sit in it fro a long time ( and maybe a roller is best for you) but it will give you what you really need for your disability a place to sit, it will give you the chance to see thing that do not have flat services, you will get to do more. A DAS card will not give you this, a DAS card only gives you a change to come back at a latter time, It will not give you a place to sit, ( and as other have noted they can be very hard to find) it will not give you a fact surface to wait in, but having a mobility device will.

You are more then welcome to go to GR and talk to them I would suggest you ( and I think any one should do this) go in and say in line I have a hard time in line with ______ and when _____ happened I need to or I _______ what do you think the best accommodation for me would be. This is telling them what you have a hard time with with out giving DX because 2 people can have the same DX and need two different things. and then since the CM know Disney best they can help give you what would work best for you. I would then take what ever they say and try it and I mean really try it ( not what I did in my teen years going yes I tool my inhaler and just squirt it in the air and say I was using it) but really try it and if it is not working for you then go back to GR and say the same thing and how the tool they suggested is not working for you. This way the new CM you are dealing with know your disability and what you have tried and can help you come up with a different plane.

I hope this helps and was not too confusing to you.

Last edited:
It really does seem that it is mobility related and the CM will likely suggested a wheelchair or ECV. As others have noted, the DAS will not provide an alternate waiting location with seating. In fact, we find that we actually walk MORE with the DAS since we aren't doing the shuffle through the line. It may not be want you want to do, but it will likely be the suggestion. Plus, you would be able to handle all lines, including the ones with a slope. A DAS will not help with that. You can always ask, but go in with a touring plan that does not include it.

I am considering asking for a DAS this trip. I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease (CMT) and wear ankle foot orthotics (AFOs) on both legs. I do not want to rent a wheelchair or scooter as I am really proud of the fact that, for the most part, I can get around without it. I am sore and tired by the end of the day, and I know that the day where I will require one is fast approaching, but I want to put that off as long as possible!

The only problem is with the waiting. The pressure on my feet is unbearable and for the most part, if it says the wait is 20 minutes or longer, we skip the ride. And don't even get me started on the shows with the slanted floor queues (Frozen at HS, Muppets at HS, Pixar at EP). Braces don't work well in standing in most circumstances. Put me on a slanted floor and forget it! By the time we get in, my feet and knees are killing me from trying to keep myself upright and balanced.

Anyhow, in short, looking to see if anyone else has experience with DAS and this type of condition and what your experiences were. Any trouble obtaining? Does it get you on a flat queue? Anyone find any seating for these instances? Thanks in advance!

How about a rollator? That would let you walk (are you prepared to walk 3-5 miles a day?) and give you a seat to rest on when you need one. WDW does not give out the DAS for a mobility-related issue, as using a wheelchair or scooter would take care of the issue.

I will also say I go down with a friend that has knee problems ( I know not the same) but she dose not need any help in every day life not even her knee brace i use a DAS card so we do not wait in lines. Not only dose she use her we knee brace but she also brought an ECV

I would say just for the sheer size of WDW and the parks it might be best to get some sort of mobility device, as even if you don't need one in your day to day life.

As the amount of walking you do at a Disney park, well for me anyway, far outstrips what I do in a normal day, I talking miles and miles.

Even if you don't get a mobility devise for every park can I suggest that you do for AK (if you go) as some of their queues and walk ways can be a bit uneven.

How about a rollator? That would let you walk (are you prepared to walk 3-5 miles a day?) and give you a seat to rest on when you need one. WDW does not give out the DAS for a mobility-related issue, as using a wheelchair or scooter would take care of the issue.
A rollator is the way I roll! My issues are Meniere's Disease and Fibromyalgia. Some days are better than others but with the rollator I at least have a place to rest wherever I am when I get tired. Mine has brakes and a little basket so I am able to sit while waiting on a slant like those lines you mention and I also am able to bring little incidentals with me. Castmembers do have the discretion of handing out the DAS passes and every day people say to me "you don't LOOK disabled!" I find my rollator helps with navigating the parks daily. I hope this helps you!

all mobility and stamina related issues are going to be told to use a mobility device: rollator, wheelchair, ECV. they are not eligible; for DAS

there are not necessarily alternative 'flat' areas to access/wait/line up on.

so i find it extremely unlikely you will get any approval.

My daughter has CMT and uses a chair while at Disney. She does not get the DAS for mobility since we have the chair; however, the heat and sun zaps her so we get the DAS to help combat this.

My daughter has CMT and uses a chair while at Disney. She does not get the DAS for mobility since we have the chair; however, the heat and sun zaps her so we get the DAS to help combat this.

But isn't most of the heat and sun exposure outside of the queue areas? WDW has most of the queues I've been in covered, with huge fans blowing gusts of air. The inside parts are air conditioned.

But isn't most of the heat and sun exposure outside of the queue areas? WDW has most of the queues I've been in covered, with huge fans blowing gusts of air. The inside parts are air conditioned.
Yes this is true for the most part the lines are inside or under shade with big fain going ( or so I have been told) I know a few people that have problem with heat they range from no sweeting to hart goes in to arethma ( SP) and all of them say that being in lines with a few thing like a fain with mister is much better then being out side. But with all Disability what works for one may not work for another, what one person struggle with the next with the same disability will not. This is why I think you should go to GR and say what part of Disney or the lines you have a problem with and explain how it effects you and talk to them about your need and see what they think the best thing for you wether it be the DAS card, a wheel chair and ECV or something else. This is also why I wish the DAS was not a one size fits all

Get a rollator or a wheelchair for the trip, it's only a temporary tool so you can experience the parks better and have a place to sit if needed. Each park has a lot of area to cover. You will be less tired, less stressed, and (at least in my own case) less cranky and hurting at the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter