Daily lightning Thread.

KYCruiseCrazy

<font color=blue>I'll be drooling and dreaming<br>
Ok, I can't find anything on the DIS, I have been looking. Well, since we have had lots of storms in the Ky area, I thought I would show off some of the photo's I caught on film.

I hope you enjoy then and post some of your own.

Here are a few from last nights storms.

This was my first lightning I caught on film.
45c4fb56.jpg

Here is a second one.
0d04ea89.jpg

This one showed up better then I thought.
decceb88.jpg

And here are a few more.
153b90be.jpg

5a1c9f33.jpg

a89a8cda.jpg

What do you have to share? I hope you like what I did.

Thanks,
John:hippie:

Cool shots!

I hate to sound pedantic, but it's "lightning." Not "lightening." The latter is what happens when you dodge a photo ... sorry! :goodvibes

I wonder if you could catch multiple cloud-to-ground lightning strikes (in a more-active-than-average storm) using n ND filter ... it works for Wishes! I'm waiting for an opportunity to try this idea.

Scott

Cool idea for a new thread. Haven't tried taking lightning shots but I will have to grab my camera next time a thunderstorm approaches.

Funny you started this. I was just out last night shooting lightning. This is from the point at Cape Hatteras. I am heading back out tonight and tomorrow given the large scale storm action I am getting here.

I did not have very much in processing tools with me since I am on vacation. I plan to clean these up when I get home.

Chuck

5659899645_72735a0e32_b.jpg

Here are 2 more I almost forgot.

This was a lucky shot.
143a356b.jpg

This is what I think is my best so far.:hippie:
aecc3e91.jpg

Thanks everyone!!

John :hippie:

Beautiful! I haven't had a chance yet this season, but captured some last year, I'll dig them out later!

Very nice! This is something that I hope to capture this summer. I got one shot last summer and it wasen't worth posting. Have fun and be safe!

Any photo's in the past will work to. Let's see what you have.

Thank you everyone for any posts.

Thanks,

What settings was everyone using when shooting the lightening? I was thinking you want a little longer exposure due to the darkness, but you didnt want to blow out the lightening anymore than it already is. I have a few taking from an airplane trip late last year, but they are nothing spectacular. I will post them when I can figure out why photobucket is letting me log in. :headache:

Matt

First, be safe. It can stike 15 miles from the cloud. You will need a tripod and a shutter release cable (or wireless version). Any vibration will cause the shot to be blurry. I believe they also sell a lightning trigger (but it's $$$$) that senses lighnting and does the hard work for you. Set your camera to the B (Bulb) setting. Start with a f/8 setting. When you see a bolt of lightning, press and hold the shutter release. Wait for a second strike while still holding the button, wait a few seconds, then let it go. Might take a few tries.

What settings was everyone using when shooting the lightening? I was thinking you want a little longer exposure due to the darkness, but you didnt want to blow out the lightening anymore than it already is. I have a few taking from an airplane trip late last year, but they are nothing spectacular. I will post them when I can figure out why photobucket is letting me log in. :headache:

Matt

Long exposure (3-10 secs) set on a 10 picture in a row setting while on a tripod from my back porch. i've caught on bolt while on a 30 sec exposure.

First, be safe. It can stike 15 miles from the cloud. You will need a tripod and a shutter release cable (or wireless version). Any vibration will cause the shot to be blurry. I believe they also sell a lightning trigger (but it's $$$$) that senses lighnting and does the hard work for you. Set your camera to the B (Bulb) setting. Start with a f/8 setting. When you see a bolt of lightning, press and hold the shutter release. Wait for a second strike while still holding the button, wait a few seconds, then let it go. Might take a few tries.

Practice Practice Practice.:idea:

I'll be waiting for others to show what you have got on film.

Thanks again,

Sorry this shot is so bad, but it is the only one I captured all of last year. I hope to get some better ones this spring!
Hunt-013-2.jpg

Funny you started this. I was just out last night shooting lightning. This is from the point at Cape Hatteras. I am heading back out tonight and tomorrow given the large scale storm action I am getting here.

I did not have very much in processing tools with me since I am on vacation. I plan to clean these up when I get home.

Chuck

5659899645_72735a0e32_b.jpg

Can't wait to see more!!

I have been wanting to get some of these pics also. Here in Florida it shouldn't be too dificult to get some good shots. I have checked the forecast for this week and it looks like no dice for a while... but that means more time for pics at the parks :cool1:

Wow, these are some great pictures. I have been wanting to try this, now I feel more motivated if we ever get any storms down here in southeast Texas.

Finally home. I plan to clean up and process a few more tonight.

Nature is unpredictable. I got more strobe flashes than bolts as the next set of storms passed. Ended up being chased by high wind, rain, and sand blowing into my truck. Truck started to shake as 40mph gusts rolled in with the cell. Right after that, the bolts started but I was inside cleaning sand off my gear. Yikes.

Chuck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter