Dad's 81st Brithday at OKW

margaretCT

Mouseketeer
About 20 family members are going to OKW (GV, one 2-bedroom, and one studio) in January. Group ages range from 1 to 81. While we are there, my dad will turn 81 and we want to celebrate. I talked to Group Events at Disney and they had some good ideas but too expensive for some family members. So I thought we would all get together at the GV for a meal (I'm following the "stove decoration meal request" thread) or maybe just coffee and cake. But can anyone add anything else? I'm assuming I can order a cake from Goodings. After we eat, we are going to go to Illuminations. Even though my dad has been to DW three times, he always missed Illumination for one reason or another, so I promised him fireworks for his birthday.

Another thought I had was maybe eating at Beaches and Cream before Illumations. We could get the $10.50 food vouchers from Connections123.com, but how would Beaches and Cream feel about 20 of us eating there on coupons? (Anything not to use the "stove decoration"!)

Thanks,

Margaret in CT

Hi
When we were at OKW in March, DGS celebrated his 6th birthday on March 17. We were in the process of ordering his cake at Olivia's when we found out that they only had cholocate cake. The CM called BW Bakery for us and we ordered the kind of cake that we wanted over the phone.

We were at the Boardwalk on March 17th anyway, so DH and I (with the 11 yr old DGS) , got the cake and took a cab ($5)
back to OKW Easier than going back by bus..and much safer for
the cake!!LOL
June

Gooding's seems to have a very nice bakery department. If you want a "special" cake you might want to call them ahead of time to see if they need some notice.

www.goodings.com should have phone number, etc.

You might consider getting take-out foods from Gooding's for a dinner as well. You could get something like a deli platter.

Perhaps he would enjoy the new 100th birthday parade too.

Goodings have great cakes - take it with sparklers and rent a boat for the Illumination cruise. You celebrate and Dad gets to view Illuminations like a king on his birthday! (We took 81 year old dad to a GV at OKW last January...had a grand time...we put him in Hospice care yesterday = so please - do all these wonderful things today and have the memories forever for all of you and to talk about how to upstage it on your Dad's 90th!

Thanks for the ideas! I think a deli platter is the way to go, Pam. Don't know why I didn't think of it. I'm going to call Goodings later today to see if they will send me some menus. Also, I will check out BW bakery as well as Goodings for cake!

I also thought about Illuminations cruise but, going in January, I want to do the party and Illuminations on the warmest night we are there. My dad gets cold real easy, especially being in a wheelchair and not moving about. But the 100th Birthday parade on his actual birthday is a good idea.

Thanks again.

Margaret in CT

Also, check out the Publix nearby. They are have great assortment of cheese and crackers etc. I am sure they will also do a Deli Platter with cole slaw, potatoe salad, Garden salad etc.

Illuminations cruise sounds fun. Have a wonderful time and Happy Birthday to Dad!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter