D3 - The Mighty 'Nucks - Update 7/16

Discussion in 'Disneyland Trip Reports' started by fallonkendra, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Dopey4Life

Dopey4Life Mouseketeer

My husband, Dave, and I both did the Grumpy 35.5, I mean the Dopey, in January. We took the gift card option for the half marathon, but we are also going for the Disneyland Avengers races. Dave, our daughter and I are doing the 5k and then he is doing the Infinity Gauntlet Challenge, but getting the Coast-to-Coast medal. Hope to see you there!

2. fallonkendra

fallonkendra DIS Veteran

I can't believe I haven't posted an update on this trip report since April! Luckily, I do have the next few almost all ready to go since I write them up on my personal blog first, so this should start to move along a bit faster.

January 27, 2017 - Part Two

After being serenaded by some animatronic birds at the Tiki Room, we headed over to our lunch reservation at Cafe Orleans.

We had a 1pm reservation at Cafe Orleans, and the place was insanely busy when we got over there. We actually had to stand in a line just to check-in for our reservation, and there were a few people in the line who did not have a reservation, so they seemed to be pretty angry when they were informed they would not be able to get in that afternoon. Ugh, people just make a reservation! Even if you don't need it, it's so much less stressful knowing you have one.

We had a bit of a wait, so we went exploring a bit so we could find this door! Maybe one day we’ll actually get to enter the door…

[​IMG]

That's the door leading to Club 33 in case anyone didn't know. Even the door is fancy for that place!​

Anyways, it was almost 1:30 before we were led to our table, a 4-top right by the main pathway (a perfect location for people watching!). As always, we had looked at the menu online before our trip, so we had a pretty good idea of exactly what we wanted to order.

We both started with a mint julep , $3.49 (and since we were inside the Disneyland park, these were virgin due to it being a dry park (the only place to buy alcohol in that park is inside Club 33).

[​IMG]

These were so good, and they were bottomless! I think I drank about 4 of them while we were there…

For my meal, I decided to skip an entree and just order two appetizers. First up was the Pommes Frites – traditional French Fried Potatoes tossed with Parmesan, Garlic, and Parsley served with Cajun Spice Remoulade, $7.​

[​IMG]

I tried that cajun remoulade dip it came with, but I wasn’t a fan at all. However, it was not required – these fries were amazing and had so much flavour without it. Shoestring fries are also my favourite. Yum!

My other choice was a strange one – I ordered their French Onion Soup – sauteed sweet-onion medley in a traditional broth with croutons and melted gruyere $10.​

[​IMG]

Why I ordered this is beyond me – I don’t even like onions. I’ve ate french onion soup in the past, but I mainly just sip the broth and eat the cheese off the top. It’s not something I have ever ordered at a restaurant though, and probably something I won’t order again. This was ok, but it was nothing compared to those fries!​

Luke decided to order an actual entree, and went for the Chicken Muffuletta Sandwich – Cajun-spiced chicken breast, Black Forest ham, capicola, salami, provolone cheese, olive salad, and roasted red pepper mayonnaise on a sesame seed bun served with house-made seasoned chips. $21

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luke liked this, but said it was really nothing special (especially for the price). I stole a few of his chips – they were good, but again, nothing special.

Once we finished eating, our waitress came over with a Mickey-shaped beignet for Luke’s birthday! There was a lit candle in a pile of whipped cream with Mickey sprinkles and everything!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We had planned on buying some beignets on this trip at some point, so it was even better when it was free haha. I know they are typically sold in 3’s, but honestly the one was enough for us to share. It was good, but I might only be saying that because of how much icing sugar was on it…​

The total cost for our meal was $41.74 after a 15% discount thanks to my annual pass. We actually made a reservation and came back here a few days later – those mint juleps were calling our names! If you don't want to wait for me to post that review on here, you can jump over to my personal blog and read it here.

[​IMG]

Once we finished up our lunch, we were in the window for our Indiana Jones Fastpass. I seriously love that ride so much, it’s so good! It's similar to Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom, but Indy wins hands down. The theming is just fantastic!

[​IMG]

After our ride on Indy, the park was getting really crowded. We later found out that the weekend of this trip was the last weekend for a certain type of pass to be used (I believe it was some kind of cast member family/friends pass?), so the parks were CRAZY Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Just a heads up if you’re ever thinking of going the last weekend in January…

Since the park was so crowded, wait times for pretty much every ride had skyrocketed. We decided to just head to Main Street, which was decorated to celebrate the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade.

[​IMG]

We ended up going into quite a few of the shops along Main Street, and I had to take a picture of these cute little ornaments! I think I might need them for my Christmas tree at some point in the future…

[​IMG]

We decided to check out Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln along Main Street, since it was something we had never taken the time to do before.

[​IMG]

I definitely don’t feel like we need to do that on every trip. It’s a good spot to have a little nap though! (It’s like the equivalent of the show at the American Adventure Pavilion at Epcot haha).​

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

I keep hearing people talk about how good those Mint Juleps are. Who knew that a virgin drink could be so good? :)
    Also, I love the birthday Mickey beignet! So adorable (and anything with that much sugar on top has to be good).

5. fallonkendra

fallonkendra DIS Veteran

If you see me at the Avengers race, be sure to say hello!

Oh, those mint juleps. Sooo amazing. We have a mint plant growing like crazy in our garden this year, I might need to try and recreate that drink here at home...

I don't know if I could eat more than half of that beignet, it was really good though!

6. fallonkendra

fallonkendra DIS Veteran

January 27, 2017 - Part Three

After our American History lesson, we stopped to swap out our FuelRoad and then we decided to hop back over to DCA. Luke decided he could use a coffee, so we went to Starbucks where he waited in line FOR EVER. Seriously, I think every person in the park decided they all needed a coffee at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Once Luke had his coffee in hand, we checked the time and realized we could make the 5:30 showing of Frozen at the Hyperion Theater.

[​IMG]

Our seats were almost at the very top/back of the theater, but not terrible considering we didn’t get in line until about 5:15. This show was really well done! It’s absolutely worth checking out! The show is about an hour long, and the costumes and set design are stunning! I’m so glad we took the time to go watch this.

By the time we got out of the theater, it was about 6:45 or so. We felt we had completed enough for our first day, so all I had left to do was meet Captain America (I was wearing my hoodie that day after all!). We headed over to where the Spiderman/Captain meet and greet was, but just as we were about to enter the line a cast member came over to let us know that Cap was about to leave for a break (she saw my hoodie, and immediately assumed that’s who I was there to meet). She did let us know the approximate time he would be returning, so we decided we’d kill some time.

We stopped by Award Wieners so Luke could grab a beer. According to my notes, it was a sour raspberry ale

[​IMG]

We spent some time looking around in the shops in that area where we bought Star Wars couples shirts (which will make an appearance later in this trip), and at one point we sat down on a bench to people watch and let Luke drink his beer. We knew we still had three more full days to spend at the parks, and we had decided to take a much more laid back approach to this Disney trip, so this was actually nice.

After we had killed about 45 minutes, we headed back over to see if Cap was back from his break. He wasn’t, but the same cast member was still there so she told us it should be any minute, so we jumped in line. The line wasn’t bad at all, only a few families in front of us. Captain America came out when there was only two groups in front of us, so in barely no time at all we were getting these pictures:

[​IMG]

It looks like my sneakers are supercharged haha! So if you were ever curious about the runDisney New Balances – they are really reflective! Captain America was a really fun meet, he kept commenting on my sweater. It’s hard to tell from this picture, but my dress had all of the Avengers on it, so he was really excited when he spotted himself on there as well.

Also meeting right beside Cap was Spiderman. For some reason, Spiderman had a Disneyland Photopass photographer with him, but Captain America did not.

Spiderman was pointing at himself on my dress ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After meeting some Marvel SuperHeroes, we stopped to swap out our FuelRoad again and then we decided to head out of the parks for the night. We went off to Downtown Disney and stopped at Earl of Sandwich for a very late supper at Earl of Sandwich!​

We had ate at Earl a few weeks earlier when we were in Orlando, and it was close to the top of Luke’s ‘must-eat’s’ while in Anaheim.​

[​IMG]

We didn’t switch it up much on this visit, and I ordered the exact same sandwich I’d had in Orlando – the Holiday Turkey: Turkey, cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce and mayonnaise $6.99. Of course, I asked for it without cranberry – I’m just not a fan.​

[​IMG]

This was just as good as the last one I’d ate earlier in the month! I’ll have a really hard time ordering anything different on future trips – the combination of turkey and stuffing is just perfect ​

[​IMG][​IMG]

Luke also decided to order one of his favourites from our meal at Earl of Sandwich a few weeks earlier, and got the Hawaiian BBQ: Grilled chicken, ham, swiss, pineapple and BBQ sauce $6.99. He loved it once again!

[​IMG][​IMG]

For some reason, I also insisted on ordering one of their Pepperoni Pizzas: Tangy pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, mozzarella & pepperoni on our Artisan bread. $6.99.

[​IMG]

This was ok, but from now on I’ll just stick to my beloved Holiday Turkey sandwich ​

We made both of our sandwiches into combos, which meant we each had a fountain drink and a bag of chips. The cost was an additional $2.99/each.

Our total bill came to $29.11. We did not use my annual pass – I can’t remember if we forgot about it, or if they just don’t accept it there. Either way, it’s a relatively cheap meal for something so great!

After our late meal, we walked over to the parking lot and caught an Uber back to our hotel.​

SarahDisney, Raeven and chunkymonkey like this.
  7. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

Wow, your sneakers really are insanely reflective (Luke's too, but I think yours are better). That's kinda funny ... and good for wearing them in the dark.
    I love your pictures with Cap and Spiderman!

I love that feeling when you go to a restaurant and there's something you enjoy so much that you just can't even consider ordering anything else. I know it's kinda boring ... but it's nice to know that there's something you'll always enjoy!