Currently At Aulani...Random Thoughts!

Paul Stupin

New DVC Member
Got here on Thursday, staying until 1/16. Not really planning on doing a daily update of the entire trip, but thought it might be fun to chime in somewhat randomly with thoughts that might be either helpful or interesting.

1. Hawaiian Airlines testing in LA went flawlessly. The test was drive thru and self administered while they watched. We got our results 6 hours later and had zero problems getting our QR codes from Hawaii’s website.

2. We’re in an ocean view studio with a pool view as well, it’s beautiful!

3. Room could use a little updating. The only USB ports are built into the clock radio. The particular studio we’re in does not have enough room for a nightstand on my wife’s side of the bed. She misses it. Not a deal breaker, just a minor annoyance. The incredible view and nice balcony overshadow any small inconvenience.

4. The dinners we’ve had at Olelo Room and Makahiki were delicious. So was Monkeypod.

5. Plenty of seating available at pool. We love the lounge chairs facing the ocean in front of Ama Ama, which sadly is still closed.

6. Odd detail alert! One of the bridges we pass under in the lazy river has a concrete plaque labeled “1923.” I wonder what that means.

7. Yesterday we drove up to the north shore, and did a taste test of the Garlic Shrimp from both Giovanni’s and Zane’s food trucks in Haleiwa. Both great but Zane’s was fresher and less greasy. Also Zane’s shrimp is already peeled so it’s possible to eat them without making a complete mess! Afterwards, we continued driving to Waimea Valley and Waimea Falls. Admission is $20 each but it’s a somewhat long, beautiful nature walk and worth it. After that, we continued driving on Kamehameha Highway, which took us to the other side of the island. It’s less developed, and super green and lush, though more cloudy with rain. The dramatic green mountains, very Jurassic Park-esque, are spectacular. Then we cut across the island to get back to Aulani, on a highway that took us up into the mountains. I’d say it’s a 3-4 hour drive with no traffic. It took us longer because there was North Shore traffic, but we didn’t really care because we were having so much fun.

8. Today is a pool/beach day. Tomorrow we’re going to hike up Diamond Head and wander around Waikiki for a bit. It’s nice to have a rental car.

I think that’s it for now. Later!

I was curious about '1923'. Turns out, it's the year the Walt Disney Company was founded.
https://dse.news/fact-sheets/2015/01/23/fun-facts-aulani-a-disney-resort-spa/
Excellent...mystery solved! Quick update: the snorkeling by the rocks on the left side of Aulani’s lagoon is surprisingly good. Saw two octopuses and a bunch of colorful fish. It’s more fun and real, and less expensive, than the experience at rainbow reef... which is way smaller than I envisioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a quick walkthrough to check. Almost no one on lounge chairs is wearing them, but almost everyone is when moving around. People don’t seem to be wearing masks walking toward or leaving the pool either, because there’s no place to put it right before jumping in, other than one’s pocket, I guess, where it will get soaked.

Nice! Hope the rest of your trip is also nice...I am wondering if maybe this is the place we go this summer.

I’m glad to hear how they are handling masks around the pool. We are hoping for a trip in July. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Thank you for sharing. I loved everything about our drives on the island—every direction we looked was beautiful and/or interesting. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

If you haven't don't Diamond Head yet get there early. and you have to wear your mask the whole trip due to close quarters.

I just did a quick walkthrough to check. Almost no one on lounge chairs is wearing them, but almost everyone is when moving around. People don’t seem to be wearing masks walking toward or leaving the pool either, because there’s no place to put it right before jumping in, other than one’s pocket, I guess, where it will get soaked.
Thank-you! We are supposed to be coming down in 2 weeks, but I was going to cancell the trip if I had to wear a mask sitting on a lounge chair! Hope you are having a great time and thanks a million for the updates! I know that everyone is eager to hear how things are going in post covid opening madness!

Thanks for sharing - we are supposed to be going in 4 months. Really hoping to be vaccinated and for things to be more back to normal by then. Sitting around with empty pools would be nice though! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Thanks for sharing!

The dramatic green mountains, very Jurassic Park-esque, are spectacular.
Over there is where Kualoa Ranch is located, where parts of Jurassic Park were filmed :) Definitely worth checking out a tour at Kualoa Ranch if you have the time.

Excellent...mystery solved! Quick update: the snorkeling by the rocks on the left side of Aulani’s lagoon is surprisingly good. Saw two octopuses and a bunch of colorful fish. It’s more fun and real, and less expensive, than the experience at rainbow reef... which is way smaller than I envisioned.
Sounds like you have your own snorkel gear. I haven't experienced it myself, but if you walk over by Paradise Cove, snorkeling is supposed to be good there too. I don't believe there is a path on the beach side, but if you walk along the main road the front of the resort (going towards Four Seasons), you'll come upon the parking lot for the Paradise Cove luau. There's a sandy path back to the public beach that's almost always empty, and sometimes has sea turtles and monk seals around.

Thanks for sharing!

Over there is where Kualoa Ranch is located, where parts of Jurassic Park were filmed :) Definitely worth checking out a tour at Kualoa Ranch if you have the time.

Sounds like you have your own snorkel gear. I haven't experienced it myself, but if you walk over by Paradise Cove, snorkeling is supposed to be good there too. I don't believe there is a path on the beach side, but if you walk along the main road the front of the resort (going towards Four Seasons), you'll come upon the parking lot for the Paradise Cove luau. There's a sandy path back to the public beach that's almost always empty, and sometimes has sea turtles and monk seals around.
We walked over there yesterday to check it out, but the water seemed a little rough and rocky.

Glad to hear you had good snorkeling in the lagoon- there were very few fish the day I tried it. Thanks for sharing a little bit about your trip!

Hey everyone! Here are today’s ramblings...

1. This afternoon, as we watched from our lounge chairs facing the lagoon, some whales put on quite a show! Out in the open water, several of them were breaching, blowing water into the air, and flapping their tails as they submerged. And it wasn’t some quick, blink or you’ll miss it experience. It lasted about 15 minutes, and the breaching was spectacular. You could see their entire bodies blast out of the water’s surface in the distance. We loved it!

2. We also tried stand up paddle boarding in the lagoon. Easier than I thought, once you get the hang of it. So much fun!

3. The poke nachos at Off The Hook are unique and delicious.

4. A perfect day at Aulani. The pool was almost deserted, as was the beach. So peaceful!

5. They’re selling a product I’d never seen at the Ulu Cafe. It’s called a Mickey Cocoa Bomb. Its a big chocolate Mickey Head (costs about $9) that you put in a cup and pour hot water over. It melts into marshmallows and hot chocolate, but it’s too big for any paper cup available on property.

6. Loving the whole area of Ko Olina. We take a walk on the beach pathway down to the marina and back in the morning. It’s always nice.

7. The nighttime sky down here is spectacular. Lots of stars. Also, this time of year, in Hawaii, the Southern Cross (a constellation we can’t see in the US) is visible low in the southern sky right before dawn. Not sure if there’s an unobstructed view of the southern horizon nearby, but might be fun to see if I could ever motivate myself. Unlikely, alas, but maybe sometime.

Later!

Other places you might want to look into for dining are Longhi's next door to Aulani. I really enjoy their various eggs benedicts at breakfast. For dinner we love Roy's with molten chocolate cake for dessert! A family fave! Monkeypod at Happy Hour is a great deal! Since you have a car, Kalapawai Deli is also delish! Counter service for breakfast & lunch then table service for dinner. ENJOY!

The kid's club is open? Do they organize activities or nothing due to Covid?

7. The nighttime sky down here is spectacular. Lots of stars. Also, this time of year, in Hawaii, the Southern Cross (a constellation we can’t see in the US) is visible low in the southern sky right before dawn. Not sure if there’s an unobstructed view of the southern horizon nearby, but might be fun to see if I could ever motivate myself. Unlikely, alas, but maybe sometime.

Aulani has an Explore the Stars activity on select nights. Check the daily schedule. If it's not available there, Stars Above Hawaii is at the Marriott Ko Olina property which is a short walk along the beach to the Marriott. We did it a few years ago. Great experience!

Thank you for your update.
It does sound like a perfect day. That’s amazing that you got to see so much whale activity (and without the dear cost of a whale-watching excursion)!
Cocoa bombs have been a big thing here in the Twin Cities over the holidays. That’s kind of funny that the cups on property can’t accommodate the size.
Star-gazing or at least paying an ounce of attention to the stars is on my list for our next trip. With all we experienced during our March trip, I think I forgot to look up. There were a number of times we were driving in the wee early hours of the morning, but I was likely, smartly, focused on the roads.
I hope you’re enjoying your day today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter