Crusing with babies - Questions??? & Lactaide Milk Available on Board?

Tink113

DIS Veteran
My whole family is going on a Disney Cruise in Jan and that includes two babies (8 months & 15 months). :cool1:

We are cruising in Jan (Soon) & the 8 month old is mine (1st baby). I am trying to plan for both babies needs and feel like I've got to be forgetting something.

So, of course I've got questions...

1) The 15 month old is eating table foods, but also drinks Lactaide Milk in his bottle. Anyone know if Lactaide is available on board? If not and we need to bring some on board, how can we store it if there are only "cooling boxes" in the rooms?

2) The 8th month old has started solid foods. I have heard on the boards that sometimes the servers can puree foods for them. Has anyone done this? Thoughts? What kind of foods did you have pureed? Is this just an option for dinner or can you get this at Breakfast & Lunch as well?

3) Are highchairs easy to come by at Breakfast & Lunch or do I need to somehow place a request?

4) I have read on here that you can get a Pack-N-Play put in your room. Has anyone done this? Did your baby like it? Should we plan to bring sheets?

5) If we forget something, what baby items are available to purchase in the shops? (ie. diapers, wipes, formula?, baby food?, etc)

6) The 8th month old drinks formula (that I plan to bring), however I'm wondering about the water on board. Should I plan to bring bottled water?

Any other advise, requests I should be thinking about, suggestions, or experiences you could provide would be a great help!

THANKS!!!! So excited for our trip, but cruising with a baby is going to be totally new for me. This is not the 8th month olds first cruise however, last Jan when we cruised I was pregnant with him!!! lol:rotfl2:

1) Lactaid is available on board. Complete the medical form and have the doc sign it, then fax to DCL to be sure that they have it for you (there is a limited supply all the time, but it helps them to know they'll have someone who needs it). The cooling boxes are a lot colder than they used to be. Another trick to keep them cold is to put a cup of ice in them. Then they stay really cold.

2) I've seen parents with small grinders or mashing vegetables. I don't know about the servers doing it, but it wouldn't surprise me. If they'll do it, it will happen at all meals.

3) There are plenty, readily available.

4) DCL will automatically supply the Pack and play crib when they see the booking for the baby. If it isn't in your cabin when you arrive, it will appear shortly. There will be freshly laundered sheets in the crib; you are welcome to bring your own if that will make your child more comfortable. You can let your stateroom host know whether you want the crib taken down during the day or left up so you'll have it ready for naps. If they take it down, they will set it up again at turn down service (while you are at dinner).

5) There is a limited selection of diapers and wipes available for purchase, but it is limited. They may run out of your size! There is a service that will deliver all your baby supplies to the ship for you (costly, but.....) Depending on which cruise you are on, there is a drug store in Key West (which is the first day stop on the Western) where you can get anything you need. There are drug stores in other ports, but they are not as convenient. Plan to bring what you need OR to have it delivered to the ship for you. If you are coming in the night before or using a limo service or rental car to get to the port, you can make a Wal-mart, Target, or Walgreens stop on the way to the ort. All are relatively close to MCO.

6) The water on board is distilled water which has then been filtered. It tastes good, and is cleaner than some bottled waters. However, if you prefer bottled water, you can certainly buy it. Again, you can get it on the way to the port and bring it with you or you can purchase it on board. Again, it's expensive to purchase.

It sounds like you have enough adults...don't forget to book your Flounder's time.

If it is the "whole family" (extended family) you are probably not using DCL transfers to get to MCO ...or perhaps shouldn't be! A limo service will cost less than transfers for 4 and will allow you a 15 minute shopping stop on the way to the port. They'll give you longer if you need it for an increased cost! If you choose to take your baby supplies with you on the plane, you know you'll have room in your suitcases on the way home! Another plus!

1) The 15 month old is eating table foods, but also drinks Lactaide Milk in his bottle. Anyone know if Lactaide is available on board? If not and we need to bring some on board, how can we store it if there are only "cooling boxes" in the rooms?

Hopefully someone else can help on this one!
2) The 8th month old has started solid foods. I have heard on the boards that sometimes the servers can puree foods for them. Has anyone done this? Thoughts? What kind of foods did you have pureed? Is this just an option for dinner or can you get this at Breakfast & Lunch as well?

Personally, I would not assume this. I would bring your LOs favorite baby foods, and you could probably request overcooked carrots or something like that. Our DS was well into finger foods when we went, so I could be wrong.

3) Are highchairs easy to come by at Breakfast & Lunch or do I need to somehow place a request?

Very easy to come by, and all the CMs were very helpful in ensuring I had one ready for DS. 4) I have read on here that you can get a Pack-N-Play put in your room. Has anyone done this? Did your baby like it? Should we plan to bring sheets?

Yep, we used a PnP. DS liked them just fine, but he was used to them. We always bring our own sheets, but if I recall, they do supply them, as well.
5) If we forget something, what baby items are available to purchase in the shops? (ie. diapers, wipes, formula?, baby food?, etc)

Hopefully, you won't forget anything, because it will cost an arm and a leg buy those on board. I believe they have Huggies diapers/wipes, Good Start brand formulas...but not sure on the baby food. Bring more than what you would plan on needing of those basics....especially wipes. We went thru a ton of wipes!

6) The 8th month old drinks formula (that I plan to bring), however I'm wondering about the water on board. Should I plan to bring bottled water?

Like many others here, we find the water to be very good and clean. Unless you need sterlized water, you should be just fine using on board water.

Any other advise, requests I should be thinking about, suggestions, or experiences you could provide would be a great help!

Bring a small sponge, thing of dish soap and bottle brush to keep bottles, nipples and sippy cups nice and clean. We found bringing a small, reclining umbrella type stroller was a great thing. DS often didn't make it through dinner, so we would just put him in it when he started to fade and he would sleep peacefully while we ate. Make a few flounders reservations. It will give you some much needed adult time, and they are wonderful in there! Also, if the little ones need to burn off some energy, I found deck 4 to be great. Just make sure you watch out for runners, but there are no stairs and not a whole lot of activity for them to get in the way of!

In terms of purees, just talk to the head server. We had a 10 mo old with us and he got purees. But, he also ate non-puree'd food. I'd consider that as well... a soft food can easily be mashed with gums (for more info, look into "baby led weaning" - not really weaning, but a way of feeding. The name is deceiving.)

I want to add though, we (they) were not given a choice of purees. It was just whatever they decided to bring out. Additionally, taste test it first because there was one night that it was incredibly salty.

Just remember that the ship has limited capacity for food items and merchandise. Whatever they get at Port Canaveral is all that they have until the end of the cruise. If you need something for your child, you should really try to bring it with you or use one of the services to deliver it to the ship. There is no guarantee that they will have diapers or wipes or specific food available (unless you fill out the medical form).

Thanks for the tip about bottle brushes and soap. Hadn't thought of that. Any other advise or tips?

I cruised with my 5 month old son in 2007He wasn't on solids,'yet, though.

I am traveling (but not cruising) with my 7 month old now.

A few tips....
The suitcase you use for diapers can become a suitcase for souvenirs on your return. :)

The pack n play was provided.

I am presently trVeling with a baby food grinder and highly recommend it! Order foods bland. The grinder I use is available at One Step ahead. For portable baby food in a pinch, there is a brand sold in foil packets. I bought some and my baby likes it. I cannot remember the brand. It seems it would be easier to pack than jars or containers since it won't squish.

Definitely book that flounders time. Choose your must have times and book those since there is a limit on pre-booking. Book the rest on board if they have room. We booked on castaway cay day and our Palo Brunch day. Well worth the cost since babies are "free" except Oort charges on the cruise anyway.

I would ask your doctor about the Lactaid. My daughter also only drinks this kind of milk. I called our Drs before we left to ask him about it. he told us that she didnt need to have the milk all week/ she would live without it for 6/7 days..... we let her have water and other juices and it was FINE! she is 9 and still alive! lol......

1) The 15 month old is eating table foods, but also drinks Lactaid Milk in his bottle. Anyone know if Lactaide is available on board? If not and we need to bring some on board, how can we store it if there are only "cooling boxes" in the rooms?.

I cruised with my 5 month old son in 2007He wasn't on solids,'yet, though.

I am traveling (but not cruising) with my 7 month old now.

A few tips....
The suitcase you use for diapers can become a suitcase for souvenirs on your return. :)

The pack n play was provided.

I am presently trVeling with a baby food grinder and highly recommend it! Order foods bland. The grinder I use is available at One Step ahead. For portable baby food in a pinch, there is a brand sold in foil packets. I bought some and my baby likes it. I cannot remember the brand. It seems it would be easier to pack than jars or containers since it won't squish.

Definitely book that flounders time. Choose your must have times and book those since there is a limit on pre-booking. Book the rest on board if they have room. We booked on castaway cay day and our Palo Brunch day. Well worth the cost since babies are "free" except Oort charges on the cruise anyway.

There are 2 brands sold in pouches that I have found. Plum Organics and Ellas Kitchen Organic. The foods are a little pricey - but I am military and get my baby food at the commissary usually so perhaps the big price difference is because I pay so much less for Gerber:lmao:.

We have started trying them with my 9 month old because he has some feeding issues and the textures are better on these then Gerber. The pouches are GREAT. You can simply squeeze out right onto the spoon so you don't have to worry about any contamination by dipping the spoon back into either the jar or having a separate bowl. And you don't waste any because when baby is done, you screw the cap back on and refrige for the next feeding. They also heat up really well in warm water just like I heat a bottle. They travel really nicely - easily fit in a purse or just a pocket. Both brands also make "smoothies" for slightly older kids (pre-toddler and toddler) and the kids an just open and squeeze into their mouthes like the yogurt tubes.

I have found them at Whole Foods and Babies-r-Us. Some of the Ellas Kitchen Smoothies are at Target. They are also sold through Babies Travel Light if you decide to just order everything you might need including diapers and formula and have it shipped directly to the ship and waiting in your room!!

1) Lactaid is available on board. Complete the medical form and have the doc sign it, then fax to DCL to be sure that they have it for you (there is a limited supply all the time, but it helps them to know they'll have someone who needs it). The cooling boxes are a lot colder than they used to be. Another trick to keep them cold is to put a cup of ice in them. Then they stay really cold.

FYI, the medical form is now called Special Services Information Form
You can find it in the Planning Center, under My Online Check In.

You no longer need a doctor's signature, but you still need to fax it at least 30 days prior to your cruise.

From the Special Services Information Form:

Special Dietary Requests:
Disney Cruise Line can accommodate some special dietary needs, including providing no sugar added, vegetarian, low fat, low sodium, lactose free and kosher meals at no additional charge. Food-related requests will only be provided in table-service restaurants, and not at quick service locations or through room service. Any food allergies, intolerances or dietary requests should be brought to the attention of your Head Server prior to ordering.
Unfortunately, Disney Cruise Line may not be able to accommodate all special dietary requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter