• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruising with an under 2 yr old

KashasMom

DIS Veteran
We'll be on the Magic with a child who will be 1 yr 9 mos. If she doesn't go in the nursery, what is there for her to do? (I know she can go in the splash zone but not the pool.) Her parents are not fans of cruises to begin with so I'm worried they won't enjoy the cruise.

There is a play area near the Promenade Lounge with some toys and blocks for her.
Usually in the early evening they have entertainment and a lot of little ones will dance in front of the performers (super cute).
Our granddaughter was about that age on her first cruise, she went to the nursery for a Palo brunch and a dinner only, she was very attached to my daughter at that time, cried a little, but the ladies in there were amazing with her.
Does she like characters?
That splash area is really nice on The Magic, she will love it.
I think there is a Disney Junior dance party on certain mornings too.

ADDED: ***If you go to Scotts website, he has some new Magic Navigators from a recent Magic cruise out of Miami for you to take a look at. I see a couple Disney Junior things on day 2. Disneycruiselineblog.com

We'll be on the Magic with a child who will be 1 yr 9 mos. If she doesn't go in the nursery, what is there for her to do? (I know she can go in the splash zone but not the pool.) Her parents are not fans of cruises to begin with so I'm worried they won't enjoy the cruise.

Check the navigator particularly for toddler time events. As Lorimay mentioned there is a toddler play area next to the promenade lounge, it's sometimes a free play area and sometimes a place where the CM's have an organized activity. Anytime any of the clubs are in open house, the whole family including the little one is welcome to visit.

You didn't ask about amenities for the stateroom, but both pack and plays and bed rails are available. The other thing I might recommend requesting is a diaper genie.

If traveling with lots of family members make a rota of baby sitting so that mom and dad can have date time together.

Check the navigator particularly for toddler time events. As Lorimay mentioned there is a toddler play area next to the promenade lounge, it's sometimes a free play area and sometimes a place where the CM's have an organized activity. Anytime any of the clubs are in open house, the whole family including the little one is welcome to visit.

You didn't ask about amenities for the stateroom, but both pack and plays and bed rails are available. The other thing I might recommend requesting is a diaper genie.

Thanks, I didn't even think about the things they'll need for the room! So she can go into the clubs during family time (clubs, not nursery)?

Thanks, I didn't even think about the things they'll need for the room! So she can go into the clubs during family time (clubs, not nursery)?

Yes, whenever the clubs are in open house, anyone can go. Adults without kids, kids that are not the right age for that club, anyone.

We cruised with my son about the same age and he had a blast. The nursery folks are pretty amazing, we still have some art work they did with him. It’s Disney, they know kids! Lots of activities to take advantage of. Make sure to request the pack n play & diaper genie.

I wasn’t a fan of cruising until I went on a Disney cruise and I will never cruise on another cruise line. I’m sold on DCL. Also make sure to get some door magnets to decorate the door if you don’t have any yet. Kids love finding “their door”.

We sailed with an 18m old last year. We went to toddler time a couple times (it's on the navigator, they had a closed off area with a bunch of toys), we did the splash pad, princess and frozen meets, and one morning we went up to the sports deck when it was empty and played with the basket balls. We were only on a 4 day cruise, but we were so busy most of the time we only ended up having time to go to the pool/splash pad once.

We cruised with my son about the same age and he had a blast. The nursery folks are pretty amazing, we still have some art work they did with him. It’s Disney, they know kids! Lots of activities to take advantage of. Make sure to request the pack n play & diaper genie.

I wasn’t a fan of cruising until I went on a Disney cruise and I will never cruise on another cruise line. I’m sold on DCL. Also make sure to get some door magnets to decorate the door if you don’t have any yet. Kids love finding “their door”.

Thanks. We've sailed with Disney several times. I'm sure her parents won't leave her in the nursery. I just wanted to know what other activities were available for her.

We sailed with an 18m old last year. We went to toddler time a couple times (it's on the navigator, they had a closed off area with a bunch of toys), we did the splash pad, princess and frozen meets, and one morning we went up to the sports deck when it was empty and played with the basket balls. We were only on a 4 day cruise, but we were so busy most of the time we only ended up having time to go to the pool/splash pad once.

Thanks. I'm sure she'll spend a lot of time in the splash zone but I'm happy to hear about toddler time and didn't even think about the sports deck!

Our daughter liked the Open House time in the clubs and the splash zone. The bigger challenge for us was that she wanted time to just walk and just run around a little (not be carried) and that was a little harder. We found deck 4 during the day to be a nice place for her to walk/run a little without disturbing others and burn off the insane toddler energy.

I’ve cruised with toddlers quite a few times, although not the Magic specifically.

DCL has been offering the toddler play area as mentioned. We have also gotten a sheet in our cabin listing activities designed for toddlers.

My kiddos enjoy open house in the kids clubs. Really at the toddler age we spent a chunk of the day feeding them and getting them to nap/bed. Other than that they want to move around wherever.

Our challenge is that travel seemed to cause all of our boys to get up early around that age. There isn’t anything open early to keep them occupied if that happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter