cruising transportation

williamson_ja

DIS Veteran
If I fly into MCO a day earlier than my cruise, what is the best way to get from the airport to my hotel and from the hotel to the cruise? By best, I mean cheapest and most efficient. I don't want to take public transportation or anything, but I don't want it to cost me a fortune either. :) Also, is it easier to stay at a WDW hotel the night before or do you stay closer to the port like in Cape Canaveral?

Part of the answer to your question depends on what hotel you are using.

WDW is about 30 minutes in the wrong direction from the port. If you are arriving early enough in the day to enjoy the time at WDW, you can make a reservation at a WDW resort. In that case, you can go from MCO to WDW free on Magical Express (the bus to WDW). This is not public transportation in the "city bus" sense, it is operated by Mears for Disney.

We typically fly in after work/school the night before. We get a 2.5* room on Priceline. At this level, the hotels all include a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO and complimentary breakfast. We typically pay about $42-45 including all fees and taxes. Hotels we've had recently include the Amerisuites and the Hyatt Place...both about 5 minutes from the airport.

Your transportation choices are DCL transfers (a bus), a towncar/limo service, or a rental car. You can do DCL transfers from either the airport or WDW.

SO...if you go to WDW, you can take the DCL transfer from there. If you stay at a hotel near the airport, you can take their transportation back to the airport and catch the bus (again, not like the city bus.) Cost of DCL transfers is $35 per person each way. If you choose to rent a car, the rental is for a 24 hour period. You can rent it when you get to MCO, drive to your hotel, and in the morning drive to the Cape Canaveral area where you drop it off. The car rental companies have free shuttles back to the port. Companies in the Cape Canaveral area are Budget, Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, and Thrifty. Discount rental codes are available at mousesavers.com and rentalcodes.com.

A limo service would pick you up at your hotel and take you to the terminal. Cost would be about $100 - 130.

Ask again when you're narrowed your choices a little, and we can give a lot more help!

It is cheaper to stay in the MCO area if what you want is a clean, safe room and breakfast. Hotels in the Cape Canaveral area are more expensive. For convenience, a private limo/towncar service is easiest, a rental car is cheapest. DCL transfers are convenient but expensive. If you go to the port area when you arrive, be sure you either have your car (turn it in the morning of the cruise and use that shuttle) or if using a limo service, be sure the hotel has a shuttle to the port...some hotels have free shuttles, some charge for a shuttle.

I was wondering about this too. If you are not using DCL transfers, then is your luggage your own to deal with? Meaning you would take it with you to whatever hotel you were staying at the night before and then also take it with you to the Port to be checked in at the terminal?

I was considering cancelling our DCL transfers, staying at an MCO local area hotel the night before and then using a rental car to take us to the port.

I was wondering about this too. If you are not using DCL transfers, then is your luggage your own to deal with? Meaning you would take it with you to whatever hotel you were staying at the night before and then also take it with you to the Port to be checked in at the terminal?

I was considering cancelling our DCL transfers, staying at an MCO local area hotel the night before and then using a rental car to take us to the port.

Yes, you would be responsbile for your own transport of luggage.

DCL will only handle luggage the day of a cruise from the airport and only if you pay for DCL transfers from the airport. If you stay at an off airport hotel the night before you would have to get back to the airport to pick up the DCL transfers with your luggage and they would handle luggage from that point on. If you rent a car you are totally responsible for your own luggage and getting it to the port.

MJ

MJ

Yes, if you are not using DCL transportation, you will need to claim your luggage at MCO, and take it with you to wherever you are going...hotel, port, whatever. Luggage handling is part of the DCL service.

You can also do DCL transportation one way. This is lovely if you are on a participating airline and can use the onboard check in service. With this, you'll actually get your boarding passes and luggage claims while on the ship, and not see the luggage from the time it leaves your cabin till it gets to your home airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter