Cruising closing down again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkscrubs

Earning My Ears
Do y’all think with the recent news cruising will be shut down again? Or do you think Disney is all in keeping cruising going?

With all the precautions and requirements, at this point unless your cruise is to or from southern Africa, I don't see a full shutdown happening.

They may tighten up requirements and go with requiring testing even in advance of the port regardless of age or vaccine status, though.

I think we have a ways to go before we have to worry about another full cruise shutdown (although I am concerned about it), but I do think there's a solid chance that more countries will shut their ports back down to cruise ships. I'm also worried about the potential for further steps to limit spread, e.g. stricter capacity restrictions for certain venues, masking outdoors, etc.

Do y’all think with the recent news cruising will be shut down again? Or do you think Disney is all in keeping cruising going?
Assuming "recent news" is referring to the new variant of the virus, no I don't think there will be an impact. They didn't do anything different when the Delta variant appeared.

Assuming "recent news" is referring to the new variant of the virus, no I don't think there will be an impact. They didn't do anything different when the Delta variant appeared.
What’s making me nervous is that governments are reacting differentialy to this variant. CNBC stated Biontec will have more vaccine data within two weeks on how well their data shows working against this variant. That is the concern.

Certain European countries have much stricter rules than most North American countries.
True but cruising started in the EU before the US. But they had strict testing and rules. Ex if you left your port tour group to even pop into a store you were booted home. No DIY excursions. This was back in early summer
I'm so glad we cruised when we did (Oct 2021) and overall pushed ourselves to travel during 2021. That's a big thing we've learned during this pandemic. Do things while you can because you never know what tomorrow will bring.
Amen to that!

Oh, my cruise is in a little over two weeks and I'm just taking some deep breaths and waiting for more guidance from the CDC and Disney. Speculating can only bring misery.

But it doesn't look like there will be a full travel ban again, although my guess is that some countries, like the Bahamas, might change something since they were very strict before opening up to cruises.

I'm so glad we cruised when we did (Oct 2021) and overall pushed ourselves to travel during 2021. That's a big thing we've learned during this pandemic. Do things while you can because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

I would have loved to do that but my August cruise was canceled again! And being a teacher, I have only a select time to cruise! So here's hoping for August 2022!

Too soon to tell. But I read a well written article that just warned the some protocols for cruises may never go away.
But look at how protocols over the decades have changed Air Travel. My first commercial flight was in 1966, no metal detectors, no security check, few if any restrictions on what you could carry on board. More than 3 ounces of a liquid, no problem. You could see folks off by walking right to the gate, and meet them when they landed, right at the gate.
And look at protocols on cars. The car I took my driver's test in in 1973 didn't even come from the factory with seat belts. The new 1974 car I bought a year later wouldn't start if you didn't have the seat belt on. I think our 2020 Toyota has 12 airbags.
So while we don't know yet what the future holds, the past tells us, if there is a safety concern, there may be permanent changes ahead.

I think it will heavily depend on the data about how well the vaccines work against it. A fully vaccinated ship means little if the vaccine has little to no protection against this strain.

True but cruising started in the EU before the US

Yes but FL "won" their case against the Federal Government and FL will never shut down cruising. The whole hold up was the CDC overstepping their legal right to restrain business in a specific state.

So you now have the State not wanting to shut down cruising, the business not wanting to shut it down, and passengers still showing up.

The US also has a temporary policy in place to even bypass law requiring a foreign port (only Alaska right now but I suspect some would support for elsewhere if the Caribbean shutdown).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter