Cruise upgrades

daveanddonnadisney

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first cruise aboard the Magic--the Eastern Caribbean--scheduled to leave after Thanksgiving. Friends recommended the 7day--said we would regret anything shorter. She also said we HAVE to have a room with a veranda. Price is an issue. I was wondering if anyone booked below a category 7 has ever been upgraded (by Disney!)to a category above that. I wouldn't mind risking it--don't personally feel it is a must to have a veranda. We are booking now for November. Also, is it difficult to upgrade (on our own) to a catgory that includes a veranda closer to departure date? I'd appreciate any and all advice!

We used the boards to plan a trip to Disney last fall . I can't tell you how much it helped in our having the best vacation ever! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

We are currently planning a (possible) cruise for next Feb. We are going for a cat 8-9. By no means would I let anyone tell me I HAVE to have a verandah. A friend of mine just got back from a RCCL-Mariner cruise and they had a verandah. She said they never used it because they always had to wipe down the chairs because they were covered in salt water. She said it was a waste for them to get that. I am not sure about upgrades. A travel agent told me that Disney does NOT do upgrades. Maybe somebody out there can clarify that for me???

Originally posted by shelbyjosh
She said they never used it because they always had to wipe down the chairs because they were covered in salt water. She said it was a waste for them to get that.

I am not sure about upgrades. A travel agent told me that Disney does NOT do upgrades. Maybe somebody out there can clarify that for me???

Good point about the wet chairs but still....

Yes Disney does upgrade occasionally. Put it in the realm of a pixie dust gift.....

Your friend is wrong on both counts (and sounds like a snob). Its so much easier to tell someone else how to spend their money :rolleyes:

We took a four day and don't regret not taking anything longer (we have booked a seven day). The four day was wonderful. We did have a veranda, but price was not an issue for us. Friends cruised in an inside cabin and said it was wonderful (although they weren't judgemental about our veranda they said that unless money was no issue at all, they'd cruise inside again rather than spend money on a veranda). If price is an issue, I'd rather take a four day cruise in an inside cabin and NOT regret overspending than take a seven day cruise with a veranda and come home to "gee, it would be nice to have that money now to fix the transmission."

Yes, Disney occationally upgrades, but not often. Your best bet seems to be booking GTY - which is where they don't assign you a room number.

If it doesn't put a strain on your budget I'd definitely do the 7-day. That said, I certainly don't think the 4-day is a waste of time...I just prefer the 7-day.

We have cruised in an inside cabin, a cabin with a porthole and a cabin with a verandah (in that order). For our upcoming cruise we are going back to the porthole. The verandah was nice but not, in our opinion, worth the extra $1000 it would cost. We like having the natural light a porthole brings but would sail inside again if that was the only way we could go.

As for upgrades, there really is no rhyme or reason to how DCL gives them out and it happens only rarely. Your best bet is to book that category cabin you would be happy sailing in and then if you get an upgrade that's a bonus.

On our first couple of cruises, we stayed in an inside cabin. On our last DCL cruise, we thought, HMM why don't we try the verandah. We upgraded to a Cat 7. We then got upgraded by DCL to a Cat 4. We're taking our first 7 day cruise (i do love the 4 day ones) in May and we have booked another inside cabin. The verandah just wasn't worth it to us. Yes it was nice, but I can think of a lot of other things to spend the money on.

:rolleyes:
We always get a verandah and have crusied 5 times. I cannot imagine not having one. We don't go up to the sailaway party we stand on our verandah and wave from there. We eat our room service breakfast out there every morning. Then my husband sits out there while I am getting ready and vice versa. Also at night it is so nice to sit out there in my PJ's with the breeze looking out at the stars and the huge ocean. We love being able to go out there when we are pulling into ports and also sailing away. We spend a lot of time out there and usually just keep towels on the chairs, but never had a problem with wet chairs. I have also told people that is at all possible GET THE VERANDAH! Very romantic... very nice.

Good Luck.

P.S. You could alway try to upgrade at the port...it is usually cheaper to do so there from what I have heard on these boards...never done it personally though.

Been on several DCL cruises and never had an veranda - there for don't miss it. First 2 trips we had inside rooms and on the 4 day it was no big deal. On the 7 night it still wasn't a big deal (rarely in the room except to change and sleep). The inside rooms are great for sleeping - absolute and total darkness - no outside light at all. That's where the problem started comming in. With all of the fun we were having from early to late, we would be exhausted and when you woke up you have no idea if it's morning noon or night! And for those of us that need glasses, we need a clock with large numbers!! and a good indicator if it's am or pm:teeth:

Then we cruised in a SPH room (secret port hole). There are only 6 of these on the ship. We decided that we really liked the natural light - for waking up and having a clue as to if it's morning noon or night and where we were (at sea or in port) and how the weather looks.

Since then we have sailed in Cat 9 rooms (deck 2 - 4 foot porthole) because we "have finally seen the light"

Upgrades[/] - the free kind are few and far between. Here lately when people have talked about getting upgraded they have come from cat 11 guarantee rooms. They've moved up to cat 9's and even some verandas. But other than that over the past several months, there is no rhyme or reason for the upgrades. First time cruisers, repeats, many repeats, book throught DCL or TA didn't seem to make any difference.

The best advice on rooms with DCL: book the room you will be happy with. If by chance you get an upgrade - count your blessings! Your room category does not impact anything else on your cruise - you have the same access to the common areas of the ship as all other passengers.

Thank you all for your input. You've given me a lot to think about. I appreciate your honesty. Sounds like we will be happy in just about ANY of the rooms from what you all have said! I am going to weigh it all out, and hope to book within the week. Thanks again!

I've cruised twice, a 4 day and a 7 day, both times booking a cat 11 inside room and both times receiving a free upgrades, once to a cat 8 and once a cat 9.

So now I'm hooked on the natural light as a previous poster mentioned, and the split bathroom is rather handy too. I've booked another 7 day for next year and paid the difference from cat 11 to cat 9.

Put me in the camp of not willing to pay the extra for a verandah. The difference from a discount travel agent can be $1,000-$2,000 or $150-$300 per day extra for 7 days.

I suppose if I ever tried a balcony, I'd fall in love with it, so I'm sticking with "what I don't know won't hurt me." :D

On the 7 day vs 4 day issue. I'd rather do a 7 day anytime; there are extra amenities such as character breakfast and formal night that make it extra special. I also felt completely relaxed an enjoyed the slow pace. I felt rushed on my 4 day to do everything. But if 7 days were a budget buster, I'd definitely do a 4 day instead.

Bottom line: don't let length or room choice stop you from taking a cruise. You'll probably have a great time regardless.

Sam

Thanks for giving us the histories of your room choices and how they evolved through repeat trips. I also appreciate you giving a ball-park figure of price differences between categories. It may not be a good idea to start with the luxury of a veranda--we may not make return trips ( due to affordability) thinking we'd have to meet the same expectations of rooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter