Cruise question from a cruise newbie

pxlbarrel

They won't allow any kind of cow
So, since I can't find anybody to go with me to WDW in January to take advantage of their little resort deal, I've gone back to my original list of what to do next. LOL

So...here's my question about cruises. Do they ever have deals? Is this something that has to be booked through Disney? Is there any advantage of booking through somebody else?

And here's a question since I've never ever even come close to being on a cruise.... what's the difference between an inside and outside cabin other than the obvious? LOL I'm such a newbie to this but I've done all the parks and this is the next step. (DVC should be in those steps but I definitely can't afford that. :lmao: )

Your best bet is to go ask all of this on the cruise board.
Deals - HAHAHAHAHA DCL only ever UPS their prices. Unless you are a FL resident or Military, the best way to book is about a year out to get the best deal. Now, that being said, this January we are cruising and the ship is pretty empty, and they still have the $899 (plus fuel surcharge) for a total of 955 for a cat 12 gty room. This means you won't have a room number assigned until a week or so before the cruise and you can get a cat 12 or higher, depending on what is available.

I booked through Disney because I like to control my own reservation. Too many TA horror stories for me. DCL does NOT allow any TA or service like expedia to discount the cruise (charge less than DCL), but some TA's will offer booking incentive like on board credit or similar.

Go to the cruise board and READ READ READ.

Inside or outside depends on what you want. We cruised for the first time last month and had decided we wanted an outside room with a verandah. While some people couldn't care less because they only go in the room to sleep, we have young children and once they go to sleep we become prisoners of our room. We wanted to be able to step away but be close by. A verandah was a perfect place to enjoy a latenight coffee or drink so our next cruise we also booked the same.

What we did was book through Marlin Travel, and then turned our airmiles in for Marlin gift certificates. Our cruise was $4000 and we were able to pay $2000 of it off in air miles.

So, since I can't find anybody to go with me to WDW in January to take advantage of their little resort deal, I've gone back to my original list of what to do next. LOL

So...here's my question about cruises. Do they ever have deals? Is this something that has to be booked through Disney? Is there any advantage of booking through somebody else?

And here's a question since I've never ever even come close to being on a cruise.... what's the difference between an inside and outside cabin other than the obvious? LOL I'm such a newbie to this but I've done all the parks and this is the next step. (DVC should be in those steps but I definitely can't afford that. :lmao: )

Yes there are cheaper prices out there other than booking direct with Disney. Sometimes CAA will book a block of rooms and have a good deal. Vacations to go.com, which specializes in cruises can give you a cheaper quote. Also, if you go to allears.net and go to the cruise section, they have discounted prices for certain cruises.
If you can at all manage it, get a balcony room. We were always told that you do no need a balcony room since you are never in the room anyway but we are glad that we did not listen to these people. We would get up at 6:30, have coffee and croissants delivered to our room and we would enjoy sitting outside till we would get ready for breakfast. We would also use the balcony to relax and have a drink before dinner from 4 to 6 in the afternoon. Then between the hours of 10 and midnight we would sit out there and just mellow before bedtime. We realized that we were spending 5-6 hours a day out there. Oh and to have the balcony door open a little at night and hear the waves: Priceless

What we did was book through Marlin Travel, and then turned our airmiles in for Marlin gift certificates. Our cruise was $4000 and we were able to pay $2000 of it off in air miles.

This is a great idea! Are the cruise prices at current rates when you booked? Airmiles.ca states Transact cruises only. Does that mean you pay brochure prices? What about the taxes, can you pay that with the gift card too?

I believe it was rack rate, we booked one year ahead of time. We're sailing on Dec 13-20, the 7 day western carribbean, 2 adults, 2 kids and it was $4000 which included tax. (no flights) I was able to use Marlin gift certificates for all $4000 if I had enough but only collected enough for $2000. You also collect airmiles on the whole $4000.

This was booked through marlin travel directly not through airmiles like the Transact cruises. Book at Marlin travel and then go to the airmiles website and order Marlin gift certificates with your air miles.375 airmiles gives you a $50 gift certificate

I believe it was rack rate, we booked one year ahead of time. We're sailing on Dec 13-20, the 7 day western carribbean, 2 adults, 2 kids and it was $4000 which included tax. (no flights) I was able to use Marlin gift certificates for all $4000 if I had enough but only collected enough for $2000. You also collect airmiles on the whole $4000.

This was booked through marlin travel directly not through airmiles like the Transact cruises. Book at Marlin travel and then go to the airmiles website and order Marlin gift certificates with your air miles.375 airmiles gives you a $50 gift certificate

Hmmmm...it is a good idea....but the wording on the Air Miles site leads you to believe that you can only use the gift certificates if you're using certain travel companies and cruise lines...and Disney isn't one of them. I've asked my travel agent about it anyway to see if it can be done... if she says yes, then that makes it a lot easier. My Air Miles are just sitting there and this is the perfect way to use them.

I believe our Marlin travel agent booked our cruise through Air Canada Vacations but just make sure Marlin knows you want to pay with airmile gift certificates so they can book with the right group.

I shopped allot for our cruises and got the best deal from Dreams unlimited for the Disney Cruise. There are very last minute deals out there, general rule is the farther out you book the cheaper it is.

If you do not want a Disney cruise,there are cheap cruises thru skyauction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter