• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Cruise Director Interactions

dobball23

DIS Veteran
Do you ever have any interaction with your Cruise Director? My wife and I recently got off the Dream (our fifth cruise) and realized we have never interacted with our Cruise Director. We only see them in the Walt Disney Theater and on the PA system. We tend to participate in a lot of things, so we're surprised we don't see the Cruise Director around the ship. Do you have many interactions with your Cruise Director(s)?

We have not.. same as you, we see them onstage and such but never just wandering around the ship or in the smaller events.

We did "Pre-covid", but right now things are being handled differently. You may find them walking around on the deck, but not as frequently as before.

We did "Pre-covid", but right now things are being handled differently. You may find them walking around on the deck, but not as frequently as before.
Four of our cruises were pre-COVID and we never saw them then either. I'm sure they're managing the entertainment staff, but it's odd that they are so cheery in the theater and on the PA system but don't really seem to have many Guest interactions (from our perspective).

Pre-covid when we started sailing we did 7 night or longer cruises 2002 through 2009. CD's seemed to be much more noticeable on those cruises, hanging out in the back of the room during the adult club shows or the cruise staff shows in the pub. Since then, doing 3, 4 and 5 night cruises, they don't seem to get out with the guests very much at all. It's a shame, they miss getting a lot of valuable feedback from the guests real-time.

I have often seen the cruise directors around the ship interacting with people. Of course this was pre covid. I suppose now they don't want to have conversations with people up close.

MJ

On Disney, no. On Paquet, NCL, RCCL, HAL, and Celebrity, yes. But in all fairness, Paquet was 42 years and it was a very small ship so the Cruise Director was also the Stand Up Comic. And the Captain was the singer.

I've seen them around on all of my DCL cruises. I've had Carly twice as cruise director and she was everywhere. Some of the others, less so. And I see them talking to people all the time, too. I waved once and got a wave back, but I don't really care to interact with random staff.

I guess I'm not sure how my experience is so different from everyone else!

we always interact with the CDs. They are usually walking around the ship, and I stop to say Hi. Last October on the Wonder, I greeted CD Peter several times.

Do you ever have any interaction with your Cruise Director? My wife and I recently got off the Dream (our fifth cruise) and realized we have never interacted with our Cruise Director. We only see them in the Walt Disney Theater and on the PA system. We tend to participate in a lot of things, so we're surprised we don't see the Cruise Director around the ship. Do you have many interactions with your Cruise Director(s)?
We watch them on the DCL morning show on the TV, and see them when we attend the live shows. I don't think I ever met one in person, and that's okay. I assume they're busy working behind the scenes to make everything onboard go well for us guests.

We've had a number of random conversations with a very friendly CD Ashley, the last being on the Dream this past fall. She always says hello because we first met her when she was dancing in the Sail-away show on the Dream in Feb of 2011 early in her career.

My husband loves Carly. We talked to her a bit in the atrium while waiting for dinner one night. When we cruised 4 months later, she remembered us and a few facts about us. Impressive, for sure. I don’t think we’re that memorable. We’ve had Jimmy a lot, but I have only seen him one time outside of the shows.

Probably why she's not with DCL anymore. Heard she's working FT in the UK.
I'm glad we had the chance to enjoy her on a few cruises. Best club host, won't ever be another one like her.

Jo was the best. We played Match Your Mate with her in Alaska. She had us in stitches. When we return to cruising, we will miss her. Glad we got to enjoy time with her. Some great memories!

Jo was definitely a lot of fun. We always enjoyed her at the shows, and trivia contests.

I've personally interacted with Darren and Ashley (?) on the Wonder a few times. Talked for 5ish minutes each time. Very personable and very willing to talk to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter